Assassin's Apprentice (1995)

by Robin Hobb

Series: The Farseer Trilogy (1), Realm of the Elderlings (1)

10,982256514 (4.1)1 / 403
Young Fitz is the bastard son of the noble Prince Chivalry, raised in the shadow of the royal court by his father's gruff stableman. He is treated like an outcast by all the royalty except the devious King Shrewd, who has him secretly tutored in the arts of the assassin. For in Fitz's blood runs the magic Skill--and the darker knowledge of a child raised with the stable hounds and rejected by his family. As barbarous raiders ravage the coasts, Fitz is growing to manhood. Soon he will face his first dangerous, soul-shattering mission. And though some regard him as a threat to the throne, he may just be the key to the survival of the kingdom.… (more)
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (Tjarda, Patangel)
    The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: Both "autobiograhical" accounts of the life of a man with powers of a magical kind, told from boyhood to manhood. Compelling writing makes for a great read and memorable story!
    Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn (Kassilem)
    Flesh and Fire by Laura Anne Gilman (Kaelkivial)
    Kaelkivial: If you enjoy the Master/apprentice relationship and the coming of age, rags to relative riches story lines. Both involve young boys who are capable of things that they do not yet understand and must harness their powers towards a greater end.
    Transformation by Carol Berg (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: For epic fantasy that is rarely makes things easy for its protagonists
    Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn (soffitta1)
    soffitta1: A coming of age story, a noble boy with an uncertain future.
    A Companion to Wolves by Sarah Monette (Kassilem)
    Devices and Desires by K. J. Parker (NovaStalker)
    NovaStalker: Both books that have no feel good quality about them at all. If you finish them and their respective series and don't hate life, love, everyone and want to kill yourself you're either incredibly well adjusted or a sociopath. That's a recommendation.
    Imager by L. E. Modesitt (Dragget)
    Dragget: Similar coming-of-age themes where the plot follows the main character as he discovers and develops his skills against a background of political intrigue.
    Inda by Sherwood Smith (humouress)
    humouress: Both series share the similarity of a country defending itself from invaders from the sea with whom they in fact share their ancestry.
    Le Vaisseau magique, tome 1 : Les aventuriers de la mer by Robin Hobb (Patangel)
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (joyfulgirl)
    The Book of Unholy Mischief: A Novel by Elle Newmark (mene)
    mene: Both books have a similar setting: Told by a narrator when he is already old and has lived his life, he talks about his childhood. Both main characters lived in the "important building" of the city (though in Assassin's Apprentice it's a fantasy world and in The Book of Unholy Mischief it's Venice in Italy), both boys go to town every now and then to meet his friends (and a girl), and both are apprentices of someone/something they cannot tell anyone else (except for a few people). Both books contain a bit of magic, though of a different kind.… (more)
    L'Assassin royal, tome 07 : Le prophète blanc by Robin Hobb (Patangel)

English (243)  Dutch (5)  French (4)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  All languages (256)
The first time I've read this book I enjoyed it a lot, but the only character I felt attached to was Fitz. The others didn't make much of an impact on me and didn't seem as complex even though I liked them. I also though the pacing was too slow sometimes. I still think a first reader can have this impression, but the book is also moving and Robin Hobb's writing is superb. Fitz is also such a good complex character from the start. It's incredible!
It is true that the first book in every trilogy in this series is the slowest. The author likes to take time presenting you the characters and their surroundings. This is not a bad thing, but it can bore people that like plot more than characters. This is a story more foccused on the characters and even though the plot is also amazing it is not fast paced and it takes time to develop.

On the reread I felt more deeply about the characters because I got to know them and I got attached to them. I was also able to notice some details more and the foreshadowing of important events in other books.
As soon as I started reading this book I was instantly dragged into this world again and forgot my surroundings. I realized no other books make me feel like the ones in this series do. It's like coming home and meeting your friends again. That is why it deserves 5 stars from me. ( )
  elderlingfae | Aug 11, 2022 |
4.5 Stars out of 5!

A promising start to a trilogy and series. Robin Hobb wrote an amazing beginning to Fitz's journey with memorable scenes, feelings, and supporting characters. Her prose was a joy to read while experiencing the plot unfold. The illustrations were breathtaking on my little kindle to a point where I ordered physical copies of Assassin's Apprentice and Royal Assassin and preordered Assassin's Quest before finishing this book. I look forward to continuing Fitz's story. ( )
  JumpyDr4gon | Aug 10, 2022 |
After years and years of being told to read Hobb, I finally jumped in. I really enjoyed this one. Though nothing much seemed to happen in this novel, I kept reading. Hobb's ability to write engaging prose is something that went above the lack of much of a plot. It really was just about watching the characters grow and building the world. Just reading this on it's own, it is just an average book, however get in for the long haul and I feel this is going to be worth it. ( )
  harpua | Jul 23, 2022 |
AMAZING. Such an amazing book. The world is incredible, the story is familiar and yet so unique and unexpected. So much happens in this book, and yet I could not put it down. Written so so well, with incredibly loveable characters that I feel like I've never met in another fantasy book. This is the fantasy book that others in the genre try to be. Robin Hobb is a genius. ( )
  grandma.meg | Jul 23, 2022 |
A fun read that kept me engaged and ended with me wanting to read the sequel. ( )
  eri_kars | Jul 10, 2022 |

Spångberg, YlvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Giles
And for Raphael and Freddy,
the Princes of Assassins.
Bantam 1996 edition:
To Giles
to the memories of
Ralph the Orange
Freddie Cougar
Princes among Assassins
Felines above Reproach
A history of the Six Duchies is of necessity a history of its ruling family, the Farseers.
[The Fool] was proffering a leather drawstring bag. "What is it?" I asked, and tried not to let him hear either the flowers or the doll in my voice.
Despite some titles similar to those of the original 6, the French version of the Farseer books splits the 2 trilogies into 13 books. This is 1 of 13 and it is the only book that is exactly the same as the original one. Make sure you combine only with identically split parts of the series.

Young Fitz is the bastard son of the noble Prince Chivalry, raised in the shadow of the royal court by his father's gruff stableman. He is treated like an outcast by all the royalty except the devious King Shrewd, who has him sectetly tutored in the arts of the assassin. For in Fitz's blood runs the magic Skill--and the darker knowledge of a child raised with the stable hounds and rejected by his family. As barbarous raiders ravage the coasts, Fitz is growing to manhood. Soon he will face his first dangerous, soul-shattering mission. And though some regard him as a threat to the throne, he may just be the key to the survival of the kingdom.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,664,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible