dismiss

A Game of Thrones (1996)

by George R. R. Martin

Series: A Song of Ice and Fire (1)

33,269100548 (4.37)4 / 1459
The kingdom of the royal Stark family faces its ultimate challenge in the onset of a generation-long winter, the poisonous plots of the rival Lannisters, the emergence of the Neverborn demons, and the arrival of barbarian hordes.
    The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie (MyriadBooks, Navarone, martlet)
    Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson (majkia)
    majkia: Both feature war-torn landscapes, confusing and conflicting motivations for main characters, and focus on complex characters whose loyalties are strained and oftentimes change.
    Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay (allthesedarnbooks)
    Shogun by James Clavell (saturnine13)
    saturnine13: If you like gritty, faux historical fiction, how about another with an asian flavor? Shogun, like A Game of Thrones, concerns the byzantine political intrigues of a multitude of different characters painted in moral shades of grey, generously heaped with gruesome action and heart-breaking romance. While Shogun lacks dragons, it does have the added interest of being mostly based upon real events and people.… (more)
    A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin (Sunnussu)
    The Hedge Knight II: Sworn Sword by George R. R. Martin (jpers36)
    Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie (music2084)
    The Iron King by Maurice Druon (Fayries)
    Fayries: George R. R. Martin himself wrote that "Druon's series was one of my major inspirations".
    The Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny (ryvre)
    ryvre: Both are fantasy books with lots of politics and intrigue among the royal families.
    Acacia: The War with the Mein by David Anthony Durham (Anonymous user)
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (Konran)
    The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell (sboyte)
    sboyte: Like Game of Thrones, this book shows us the lives of medieval men and women with a bit of magic and politics thrown in.
    Malice by John Gwynne (Toby_Sugden)
    Toby_Sugden: The start of what looks like a great fantasy series
    The Gilded Chain by Dave Duncan (MyriadBooks)
    Dragon Bones by Patricia Briggs (quenstalof)
    quenstalof: Both are high fantasy epics with dragons :-)
    The Darkness That Comes Before by R. Scott Bakker (martlet)
    Hild by Nicola Griffith (Anonymous user)
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (Tjarda, Patangel)
    Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn (MyriadBooks)
    The Dragon Waiting by John M. Ford (nessreader)

1990s (1)
1990s (2)

English (946)  Spanish (15)  French (6)  German (5)  Dutch (5)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (2)  Danish (2)  Finnish (2)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (992)
Fantastic book in a fantastic series. The first season of the show follows the book pretty accurately. The book lets you glimpse inside each character's mind for a more in depth look at the story. I only hope the author is able to finish the saga one day. ( )
  ashacheonca | Jul 8, 2020 |
Well tickle my toenails and call me Tracey, this thing is good. About halfway through A Game of Thrones I rushed into Waterstones and grabbed the next two volumes. (Or next one and a half volumes? The next two lumps of paper glued together, I'm not sure what you call the individual bits when you're discussing a heptalogy in ten parts.) I was half clad in my pyjamas and half in my best Sunday suit, my glasses were akimbo on my face, hair defying gravity, a mad look in my eyes, and someone's ear clutched in my hands. “Got you has it?” asked the lady at the till.

“Yes he bloody well has!” squealed the man whose ear I was grasping.

“Not you, Colin,” said the till lady, “I was asking the gentleman if he'd been ensnared by the Song of Ice and Fire saga like so many other unsuspecting souls.” I roared something in reply, a fierce guttural cry unheard since the last Neanderthal fought the last velociraptor to their mutual end. “Mm, my Derek said the same thing,” opined till-lady with a far away look in her eyes.

Having little time for chit or for chat I dropped Colin-of-the-Ear and slid my debit card into the card reader like a fearsome warrior slipping his two-handed great sword into the thorax of his enemy, and then punched in my PIN like a hero of old pressing four buttons on a keypad while pretending to press four different buttons.

"Enjoy them, dear," said till-lady, giving me my receipt and a look full of meaning. "Mayhap you'll come back soon to buy the other four. You'll need something hefty to read now the nights grow longer. After all…" she gave a pregnant pause as a wolf howled somewhere in the distance, or possibly in the Paranormal Romance section, "…Winter is coming."

Part 2 → ( )
  imlee | Jul 7, 2020 |

“Yes he bloody well has!” squealed the man whose ear I was grasping.

Part 2 → ( )
  leezeebee | Jul 6, 2020 |
Fantastic start to a good series. ( )
  renardkitsune | Jul 3, 2020 |
Sad to say that until now I have never touched A Game of Thrones book. Once the television series came out I was instantly hooked but never had an urge to go and read the books. Maybe because to me I don't like to be spoiled while watching tv shows and movies (unless they are an adaption to a book I already read) and I love being surprised by the twists and turns an author takes.

One of the reasons why I finally decided to read book one was because so many of my friends have read the series and pretty much strong armed me into reading it. And many of them were super smug about knowing things that were going to be happening in the upcoming series. I have to admit last season I was full of rage and ready to quit watching. I won't spoil for those who haven't seen the show but yeah there is a lot of heartache constantly. One good thing is that a lot of my friends who had read the book were still in the dark about something since the writers changed things up a bit here and there so there were constant cries of "that didn't happen that way in the book!" every Sunday night when we had our viewing parties.

If you decided to read this book you are going to be pretty much devoted to just reading this and getting through it. There are three plot-lines going on simultaneously and the book is broken up by eight different characters.

These characters are:

Ned Stark, Catelyn Stark (Ned's wife), Sansa Stark (Ned and Catelyn's daughter), Arya Stark (Ned and Catelyn's daughter), Bran Stark (Ned and Catelyn's youngest son), Jon Snow (illegitimate son of Ned Stark), Tyrion Lannister (son of Tywin Lannister and brother to Cersei and Jamie), and Princess Daenerys Targaryen.

Out of these character perspectives the only perspectives I was invested in were Daenerys, Jon Snow, and Tyrion. I liked the latter part of Arya's perspective but I thought the other character perspectives dragged a lot. I know you had to have Ned and Catelyn's voices in there to explain the events that had happened prior to the story line starting but they were boring to me.

Due to have eight perspectives to juggle the book really didn't flow that well. I found myself getting really impatient when I would finish up with a character I liked to get back to them and started to feel annoyed that I was going to have to force march myself through Sansa, Bran, etc. stories.

As many of you who have read my reviews before my least favorite thing while reading is to get completely engrossed in a character's head and then get flung into another character, and another, etc. That is the main reason why I gave this book 3.5 stars. This book really starts to frustrate you after a while because you just want to be able to sit in one person's head for longer than 10-15 pages.

Also the many instances of rape being described I honestly started to feel queasy. I seriously I have a pretty strong stomach and read a lot of things but after the 100th rape scene (I am not exaggerating) it was just a lot to get through.

Also George R.R. Martin loves repetition. So anytime you read a character and say that character says the words "sun of my life" well be prepared to read that all of the time. I had this book in hardcover format and borrowed it from the library so I couldn't go and underline ever phrase that characters kept repeating but seriously they did.. a lot.

He also explains things down to the tiniest detail. If you want to know how a character looks, what they are wearing right down to their undergarments, and how they smell, and taste this is the book for you. At first I really did like his attention to detail but after the first couple hundred pages it just started to feel repetitive.

So though I enjoyed the book and thought that Mr. Martin did a very good job with world building in this first book I just felt that there were some issues that were hard to push through while reading. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
This is a perfect book.

There's honestly nothing I can think of that could improve it in any way. This is a book that made me shout at it, that made me giggle and cry, that made me gasp, that made me tremble and hate and love. It's seamless; I'd say it's unputdownable, except that sometimes I found I desperately needed to put it down because I was overwhelmed with the wonder of it, only to pick it up again half an hour later.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Amal El-Mohtar (Mar 15, 2007)

Martin, George R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Thulin, LouiseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Gli Oscar Mondadori (Oscar Grandi Bestsellers)

Is contained in

Contains

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a supplement

this one is for Melinda
"We should start back," Gared urged as the woods began to grow dark around them. "The wildlings are dead."
"The common people pray for rain, healthy children, and a summer that never ends", Ser Jorah told her. "It is no matter to them if the high lords play their game of thrones, so long as they are left in peace." He gave a shrug. "They never are."
Bran thought about it. "Can a man still be brave if he's afraid? "That is the only time a man can be brave," his father told him.
The blood of the First Men still flows in the veins of the Starks, and we hold to the belief that the man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die.
A ruler who hides behind paid executioners soon forgets what death is.
Some old wounds never truly heal, and bleed again at the slightest word.
If you are combining a translated copy please check carefully as in some languages this book was split into two volumes. In some languages there is a single volume edition and a split edition - you should only combine the single volume edition with the English edition.

Languages known to have multiple-volumes - French*, German*, Italian*, Portugese, Romanian and Swedish*.

Languages marked by an asterisk also have a single volume edition.
This is the single-volume edition "A Game of Thrones". DO not combine with the omnibus edition containing "A Game of Thrones" and " A Clash of Kings".

Publisher description for A Game of Thrones;

Long ago, in a time forgotten, a preternatural event threw the seasons out of balance. In a land where summers can last decades and winters a lifetime, trouble is brewing. The cold is returning, and in the frozen wastes to the north of Winterfell, sinister and supernatural forces are massing beyond the kingdom’s protective Wall. At the center of the conflict lie the Starks of Winterfell, a family as harsh and unyielding as the land they were born to. Sweeping from a land of brutal cold to a distant summertime kingdom of epicurean plenty, here is a tale of lords and ladies, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and bastards, who come together in a time of grim omens.
Here an enigmatic band of warriors bear swords of no human metal; a tribe of fierce wildlings carry men off into madness; a cruel young dragon prince barters his sister to win back his throne; and a determined woman undertakes the most treacherous of journeys. Amid plots and counterplots, tragedy and betrayal, victory and terror, the fate of the Starks, their allies, and their enemies hangs perilously in the balance, as each endeavors to win that deadliest of conflicts: the game of thrones.
Long suffering Starks,
betrayal is always near,
beware Lannisters.

(leahdawn)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,888,391 books! | Top bar: Always visible