A Game of Thrones (1996)

by George R. R. Martin

Series: A Song of Ice and Fire (1)

37,271107445 (4.36)4 / 1494
A tale of court intrigues in the land of Seven Kingdoms, a country "blessed by golden summers that go on for years, and cursed by cruel winters that can last a generation". The cold is returning to Winterfell, where summers can last decades and winters a lifetime. A time of conflict has arisen in the Stark family, as they are pulled from the safety of their home into a whirlpool of tradedy, betrayal, assassination plots and counterplots. Each decision and action carries with it the potential for conflict as several prominent families, comprised of lords, ladies, soldiers, sorcerers, assassins and bastards, are pulled together in the most deadly game of all, the game of thrones.… (more)
    The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie (MyriadBooks, Navarone, martlet)
    Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson (majkia)
    majkia: Both feature war-torn landscapes, confusing and conflicting motivations for main characters, and focus on complex characters whose loyalties are strained and oftentimes change.
    Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay (allthesedarnbooks)
    Shogun by James Clavell (saturnine13)
    saturnine13: If you like gritty, faux historical fiction, how about another with an asian flavor? Shogun, like A Game of Thrones, concerns the byzantine political intrigues of a multitude of different characters painted in moral shades of grey, generously heaped with gruesome action and heart-breaking romance. While Shogun lacks dragons, it does have the added interest of being mostly based upon real events and people.… (more)
    A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin (Sunnussu)
    The Hedge Knight II: Sworn Sword by George R. R. Martin (jpers36)
    Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie (music2084)
    The Iron King by Maurice Druon (Fayries)
    Fayries: George R. R. Martin himself wrote that "Druon's series was one of my major inspirations".
    The Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny (ryvre)
    ryvre: Both are fantasy books with lots of politics and intrigue among the royal families.
    Acacia: The War with the Mein by David Anthony Durham (Anonymous user)
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (Konran)
    Malice by John Gwynne (Toby_Sugden)
    Toby_Sugden: The start of what looks like a great fantasy series
    The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell (sboyte)
    sboyte: Like Game of Thrones, this book shows us the lives of medieval men and women with a bit of magic and politics thrown in.
    The Gilded Chain by Dave Duncan (MyriadBooks)
    The Darkness That Comes Before by R. Scott Bakker (martlet)
    Dragon Bones by Patricia Briggs (quenstalof)
    quenstalof: Both are high fantasy epics with dragons :-)
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (Tjarda, Patangel)
    The Dragon Waiting by John M. Ford (nessreader)
    Hild by Nicola Griffith (Anonymous user)
    Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn (MyriadBooks)

1990s (3)

English (1,023)  Spanish (16)  French (6)  Dutch (5)  German (5)  Portuguese (Brazil) (3)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (2)  Hungarian (2)  Finnish (2)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Polish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (1,072)
Unoriginal but, hell, a great ride through a thorough, well-rounded fantasy land with characters who can elicit empathy. ( )
  MaryJeanPhillips | Jun 22, 2022 |
My most recent attempt to engage with the story of "A Game of Thrones" (August 2016) has failed, like previous attempts. I accept that I am in the minority when it comes to appreciating this book. In no particular order, here is what I didn't care for: (1) political intrigue and backstabbing, (2) too many characters to keep up with, (3) too many relationships to keep up with, (4) not enough of the supernatural/sorcerous, (5) recognizing that reading this book was a hefty 835-page commitment and knowing that I would have to read more books to learn the outcome of various plot points, (6) too much similarity to medieval Europe, and (7) too few characters I could really care about. ( )
  MarkLacy | May 29, 2022 |
One one hand I am in awe of the great fantasy of R.R. Martin, on the other hand I am disgusted by all the rape, incest, killings. I stopped listening to this book in the middle ot it and now finished the first book. Not really rushing to start the second. ( )
  dacejav | May 16, 2022 |
Ég las bókina "A game of Thrones" eftir George R.R. Martin https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13496.A_Game_of_Thrones , fyrir stuttu síðan eftir að bróðir minn gaf mér hana. Ég var þá búinn að sjá sjónvarpsþáttaröð sem gerð var eftir bókinni og hafði mjög gaman af.
Mér fannst aðdáunarvert hve vel þáttaröðin endurspeglaði sögu Martins, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944947/ , en hins vegar fannst mér bókin betri því þar var fékkst betri innsýn inn í þankagang persónanna og þá sérstaklega Bran Starks sem slasast alvarlega snemma í sögunni.
Sagan er fantasía og segir í stuttu máli frá valdabaráttu nokkurra ætta í ríki þar sem þú getur ekki treyst neinum. Fjöldi persóna kemur fyrir sögu og gerði a.m.k. mig hálfruglaðan en með því að segja söguna út frá sjónarhorni nokkurra persóna tekst höfundi að halda upp spennu og hraðri atburðarás því mikið gerist þegar þessar persónur dreifast um allt landið.
Sagan er oft átakanleg og maður bæði finnur til með mörgum persónanna en samsamar sig líka öðrum - og þolir bókstaflega ekki sumar þeirra. ( )
  SkuliSael | Apr 28, 2022 |
Just superb. The weaving together of the plots and sub-plots is skillfully done, the characters are wonderfully rich and distinct (despite their number) and the world building is superb. I loved it. ( )
  whatmeworry | Apr 9, 2022 |
This is a perfect book.

There's honestly nothing I can think of that could improve it in any way. This is a book that made me shout at it, that made me giggle and cry, that made me gasp, that made me tremble and hate and love. It's seamless; I'd say it's unputdownable, except that sometimes I found I desperately needed to put it down because I was overwhelmed with the wonder of it, only to pick it up again half an hour later.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Amal El-Mohtar (Mar 15, 2007)

Martin, George R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thulin, LouiseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
this one is for Melinda
"We should start back," Gared urged as the woods began to grow dark around them. "The wildlings are dead."
"The common people pray for rain, healthy children, and a summer that never ends", Ser Jorah told her. "It is no matter to them if the high lords play their game of thrones, so long as they are left in peace." He gave a shrug. "They never are."
Bran thought about it. "Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?" "That is the only time a man can be brave," his father told him.
The blood of the First Men still flows in the veins of the Starks, and we hold to the belief that the man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die.
A ruler who hides behind paid executioners soon forgets what death is.
Some old wounds never truly heal, and bleed again at the slightest word.
If you are combining a translated copy please check carefully as in some languages this book was split into two volumes. In some languages there is a single volume edition and a split edition - you should only combine the single volume edition with the English edition.

Languages known to have multiple-volumes - French*, German*, Italian*, Portugese, Romanian and Swedish*.

Languages marked by an asterisk also have a single volume edition.
This is the single-volume edition "A Game of Thrones". DO not combine with the omnibus edition containing "A Game of Thrones" and " A Clash of Kings".

Long suffering Starks,
betrayal is always near,
beware Lannisters.

(leahdawn)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,719,956 books! | Top bar: Always visible