Spirit Gate by Kate Elliott

Spirit Gate (2007)

by Kate Elliott

Series: Crossroads [K Elliot] (1)

Recently added byKimberlyhaze, Jon_Hansen, private library, Suttonsuds
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (ImLittleJon)
    ImLittleJon: There are some similarities between Martin's and Elliott's series. Their epic scale is similar, with multiple interweaving plotlines, characters noble and humble, interacting cultures, and so forth. Both begin in a world where magic is a matter of legend, but slowly creeps back into usage. Spirit Gate might not be A Dance with Dragons, but it will help make the time pass until that book gets published.… (more)

The first volume of 'Crossroads', 'Spirit Gate', begins in the 'Hundred' where giant eagles carry reeves (itinerant law officers) between the small towns, settling disputes and keeping the lines of communication open. But the lands are becoming more lawless, and the reeves no longer command the respect they once did. And when exploring the fate of the legendary 'Guardians', Reeve Joss suffers a crippling loss...
Meanwhile, hundreds of miles to the south, across deserts and mountains, Mai, a merchant woman it taken as his bride by Captain Anji, a barbarian warrior. They flee danger and treachery, attempting to find sanctuary in the Hundred, but first must confront the shadowy evil which besets the land and the reeves.....

Kate Elliott build immersive and singular worlds. She is on form here, and it is a scintillating read. ( )
  orkydd | Feb 2, 2017 |
A new world, a new adventure. I shall not be buying this series. To much unnecessary sexual innuendo. It just pervaded everything. I was really looking forward to this series too. Sigh... ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
There were quite a lot of interesting plotlines in the story, but I found it an unsatisfying read overall. I understand that it's book one in a series, but far too little of the world it's set in is explained for my liking. Since it was pretty inevitable that Joss, Anji & Co would save the day, I found myself skimming quite a lot of the middle sections looking for clues to the more central mysteries.

On the upside, there's just enough revealed in the last few chapters that I'll probably read the next installment - I just hope more's fleshed out. ( )
  youkosiren | Aug 22, 2016 |
I wanted to like this book more than I actually did. Elliott has created numerous societies, each with their own distinct gender roles, politics, religion, food, etc. The societies and people are clearly all non-Western--they wear silk, eat yogurt, have brown hair and skin. There are POV characters from each of the big three (the Qin, the Hundred, and the Sirnakian Empire), and no one country or society is painted as morally better than the others.

BUT. Elliott spends so much time building her world (and seriously, she describes every town, every wharf, every meal) that even by the end of the book there were huge plot holes and I still didn't love any of the characters. The basic plot is that some sort of shadowy menace is slowly inciting chaos in the Hundred while slowly destroying the eagle reeves (people psychically bonded to giant eagles who fly around mediating disputes). Merchant Mai and her new husband Anji, the captain of the Qin army that conquered her homeland, travel into the Hundred in search of a new home. Emo reeve Joss tries to figure out why his homeland is descending into lawlessness. Their paths only cross near the end of the novel.

This wasn't a bad novel, but I'm not interested enough to read the next in the series. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Kate Elliott is the author of the highly successful Crown of Stars series. Crossroads is her new series, a seven-volume series which is divided into two trilogies with a linking book between them. Spirit Gate is the first book of the first trilogy (to be followed by Shadow Gate and Traitor's Gate).

In this book, Elliott devotes considerable chunks of text to painting a picture of a detailed, alternative world. As a result, you have to grapple with large amounts of geography, an array of cultures and a whole string of characters. This makes for very slow reading initially, which can be quite heavy-going as you struggle to absorb all the information.

However, stick with it, because it is worth it. About halfway through, the story really gets going. There is a variety of convincing characters, a fascinating mix of cultures and plenty of excitement, mystery, romance and adventure to keep you turning pages.

If you like fast, action packed novels that rush from fight to fight, then this probably won't appeal to you. However, if you enjoy world building, sympathetic character development and multi faceted story lines, then you may enjoy it as much as I did.

I started the second book as soon as I closed this one. ( )
  Jawin | Jul 11, 2015 |

Kate Elliottprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kaluta,MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The novel is lovingly dedicated to my sister Sonja who, during the same year I was writing this book, tackled three major life changes very like those in the story.
On a hot summer's day like today Flirt liked to fly straight up along the shoreline of the river, huge wings huffing against the wind.

World Fantasy and Nebula Award finalist Kate Elliott breaks new ground in a brilliantly original new fantasy set in a unique world of fabled cities, mysterious gods, and terrible dangers. From the first page readers will be swept up in the story of Mai and Captain Anji, as they become unwitting players in a conflict that began many years earlier, and which will shake the foundations of their land.

For hundreds of years the Guardians have ruled the world of the Hundred, but these powerful gods no longer exert their will on the world. Only the reeves, who patrol on enormous eagles, still represent the Guardians' power. And the reeves are losing their authority; for there is a dark shadow across the land that not even the reeves can stop.
A group of fanatics has risen to devour villages, towns, and cities in their drive to annihilate all who oppose them. No one knows who leads them; they seem inhumanly cruel and powerful. Mai and Anji, riding with a company of dedicated warriors and a single reeve who may hold a key to stopping the deadly advance of the devouring horde, must try, or the world will be lost to the carnage. But a young woman sworn to the Goddess may prove more important than them all . . . if they are not too late.
A haunting tale of people swept up by the chaos of war, this is superlative fantasy adventure, rich in texture, filled with color and excitement, masterfully crafted by a brilliantly gifted storyteller.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:37 -0400)

As a terrifying group of fanatics spreads across the land, Mai and Anji, along with a reeve representing the power of the Guardians and a young woman sworn to the goddess, may be the only ones who can stop the horde's deadly advance.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,320,323 books! | Top bar: Always visible