Tigana

by Guy Gavriel Kay

4,6331352,010 (4.16)7 / 633
Tigana is the internationally celebrated epic of a beleaguered country struggling to be free. It is the tale of a people so cursed by the dark sorceries of the tyrant king Brandin that even the very name of their once beautiful home cannot be spoken or remembered. But, years after their homeland's devastation, a handful of men and women set in motion a dangerous crusade--to overthrow their conquerors and bring back to the world the lost brightness of an obliterated name: Tigana. Against the magnificently realized backdrop of a world both sensuous and brutal, this masterful novel of a passionate people pursuing their dream is breathtaking in its vision, and changes forever the boundaries of fantasy fiction.  … (more)
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (allthesedarnbooks)
    The Bone Doll's Twin by Lynn Flewelling (chilirlw)
    The Poison Throne by Celine Kiernan (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: Both set in vaguely historical Europe with minimal fantastic elements
    Not On My Patch by Diane Duane (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: Historical european fantasy

English (134)  Dutch (1)  All languages (135)
I hate it when you notice one thing and then can't divorce that judgment from the rest of the book.

For instance: all of the women are beautiful, all have a rather extended sex scene (maybe not Alais). That scene with Catriana in the beginning of the book tainted my view of her for the rest of the book, even though she never slept with anybody else. Which is part of her character, but I didn't like it. Catriana comes the closest to having a reason to exist in the book besides her romantic relation to a man.

I also still haven't resolved the slavery thing, I'll keep thinking on that for a while. I may also be too influenced by modern takes on slavery, since this book is almost 30 years old now.

GGK's prose is as lovely as always, and I still appreciate the moral ambiguity of all the characters and their motivations. You just want to revel in how tragic the characters are for a few hundred pages. It was more tragic than Lions of Al-Rassan, but one needs that sometimes.

Meaningless gripe: this book is still really expensive on Kindle, and my paperback copy is large (and it's long). Will not fit on a plane when you're strapped for space. ( )
  Tikimoof | Feb 17, 2022 |
One man sees a riselka: his life forks there.
Two men see a riselka: one of them shall die.
Three men see a riselka: one is blessed, one forks, one shall die.

I finished Tigana about 5mins ago and I would have listened to the entire audiobook uninterrumpted if life didn't get in the way.
I haven't read fantasy this good and that I enjoyed this much in a while. It felt incredibly epic, even though it's not a battle of good vs evil, nor to save the world from some threat, just a small place in a small peninsula in a much larger world.
I loved that the story is about memory. Memory, history and identity are at the root of everything.
The characters are great, I couldn't for the life of me, hate Brandin or consider him a villain. I felt for Dianora too. I wish I could have connected to the prince and the singer as much, but I still enjoyed their quest to reclaim their culture. ( )
  Nannus | Jan 17, 2022 |
This is my favorite Kay novel, and near my top favorite fantasy novel of all time. Heartrending themes of memory, naming, love, and loyalty. ( )
  VictoriaGaile | Oct 16, 2021 |
This author always sweeps me away. In this book we enter a world with 2 moons and a Triad of god/goddesses. The culture and politics reflect ancient Italy. The story takes place on The Peninsula of The Palm. Two competing sorcerer's have invaded and split the Peninsula in two. During the war a son of a sorcerer was killed. In punishment for his loss, the sorcerer placed a terrible curse on the people and land where he died. 20 years later a troop of unlikely comrades gather their forgotten people and lay a plan to bring back their home. It is a beautiful story of loss and identity.

673 pages of [a:Guy Gavriel Kay|60177|Guy Gavriel Kay|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1218804723p2/60177.jpg] 's prose, and I am already anticipating [b:A Song for Arbonne|104085|A Song for Arbonne|Guy Gavriel Kay|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1309212350l/104085._SY75_.jpg|2498881]. ( )
  JBroda | Sep 24, 2021 |

Guy Gavriel Kay - Tigana: Repetitions aside (he forgot what he wrote a few pages back??), this fantasy does a grand job getting at the heart of good vs. evil and the lessons of the past. #cursorybookreviews #cursoryreviews ( )
  khage | Sep 17, 2021 |

Kay, Guy Gavrielprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
de Lozoya, TeófiloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Odom, MelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
All that you held most dear you will put by
 and leave behind you; and this is the arrow
 the longbow of your exile first lets fly.
You will come to know how bitter as salt and stone
 is the bread of others, how hard the way that goes
 up and down stairs that never are your own.
—Dante, The Paradiso
What can a flame remember? If it remembers a little less
than is necessary, it goes out; if it remembers a little
more than is necessary, it goes out. If only it could
teach us, while it burns, to remember correctly.
—George Seferis, "Stratis the Sailor Describes a Man"
For my brothers, Jeffrey and Rex
Both moons were high, dimming the light of all but the brightest stars.
This is the complete story in one volume. Please do not combine this with either part one (Tigana Chapters 1 - 12) or part two (Tigana Chapters 13 - 20).

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,854,921 books! | Top bar: Always visible