Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay

Tigana

by Guy Gavriel Kay, Guy Gavriel Kay

3,9511161,840 (4.18)7 / 567
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (allthesedarnbooks)
    The Bone Doll's Twin by Lynn Flewelling (chilirlw)
    The Poison Throne by Celine Kiernan (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: Both set in vaguely historical Europe with minimal fantastic elements
    Not On My Patch by Diane Duane (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: Historical european fantasy

English (114)  Dutch (1)  All languages (115)
During war between Ygrath and Tigana, the son of the King of Ygrath is killed. In retaliation--in grief--Brandin of Ygrath, king and sorcerer, destroyed Tigana. He destroyed it be erasing it entirely from the minds of everyone, everyone except the people of Tigana. Their punishment is to know that to everyone else it's as if they never existed.

Brandin took everything they were, every mark they made on the world, and he made it so no one knows. No one but them. It would have been one thing if the Tiganans themselves couldn't remember, because there would be no pain for them. But they can remember. They do remember. And no one else does.

To me, that is unbearable. It's still difficult for me to grasp the entirety of that horror. To speak the name of your people and have no one but you even be able to hear it. I cannot imagine.

And then there is Brandin and Dianora. The great and tragic love of this book. There's no other way it could have ended but the way it did, but how I wished for something else.

And the great spoiler. That one that made me sob.

*Three men see a riselka: one is blessed, one forks, one shall die.* ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
I was expecting to enjoy this, but it was just too much work for the payoff. Slogged through to the end to justify the time already invested. ( )
  hatpin | Jun 17, 2018 |
Epic fantasy about a group of Tigana natives plotting to overthrow the sorcerer who has caused their beloved land to be forgotten. This is my first, but not last, book by Guy Gavriel Kay since I became really fond of his style during this read; his world-building really works for me in that he never comes outright and explains how things work, but just works it subtly into the story so that the reader feels part of the world. His language is also so lovely - he does know how to weave a beautiful sentence. Along with the great world-building, Kay also inhabits his world with intriguing, flawed characters who make mistakes but have big hearts and I have to admit to shedding a little tear now and again for them. Long, but thoroughly enjoyable read. ( )
  -Eva- | Apr 14, 2018 |
Got halfway - there's a natural break in the story line - and set it aside. Will come back.
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
DNF due to narrator. Can't understand that guy very well.
  josh513 | Feb 3, 2018 |

Guy Gavriel Kayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kay, Guy Gavrielmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Odom, MelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
All that you held most dear you will put by
 and leave behind you; and this is the arrow
 the longbow of your exile first lets fly.
You will come to know how bitter as salt and stone
 is the bread of others, how hard the way that goes
 up and down stairs that never are your own.
—Dante, The Paradiso
What can a flame remember? If it remembers a little less
than is necessary, it goes out; if it remembers a little
more than is necessary, it goes out. If only it could
teach us, while it burns, to remember correctly.
—George Seferis, "Stratis the Sailor Describes a Man"
For my brothers, Jeffrey and Rex
Both moons were high, dimming the light of all but the brightest stars.
This is the complete story in one volume. Please do not combine this with either part one (Tigana Chapters 1 - 12) or part two (Tigana Chapters 13 - 20).

Tigana is the magical story of a beleaguered land struggling to be free. It is the tale of a people so cursed by the black sorcery of a cruel despotic king that even the name of their once-beautiful homeland cannot be spoken or remembered.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:25 -0400)

The people of a land cursed by the sorceries of their tyrant king seek to overthrow their conquerors and heal their broken land.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,218,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible