dismiss

A Clash of Kings (1998)

by George R. R. Martin

Series: A Song of Ice and Fire (2)

A comet the color of blood and flame cuts across the sky. Two great leaders--Lord Eddard Stark and Robert Baratheon--who hold sway over an age of enforced peace are dead, victims of royal treachery. Now, from the ancient citadel of Dragonstone to the forbidding shores of Winterfell, chaos reigns. Six factions struggle for control of a divided land and the Iron Throne of the Seven Kingdoms, preparing to stake their claims through tempest, turmoil, and war. It is a tale in which brother plots against brother and the dead rise to walk in the night. Here a princess masquerades as an orphan boy; a knight of the mind prepares a poison for a treacherous sorceress; and wild men descend from the Mountains of the Moon to ravage the countryside. Against a backdrop of incest and fratricide, alchemy and murder, victory may go to the men and women possessed of the coldest steel ... and the coldest hearts. For when kings clash, the whole land trembles.… (more)

English (469)  Spanish (8)  German (3)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (490)
Bit of a slog at first (and my heart still sinks a little everytime I get a Bran chapter) but picks up midway through to a real page turner.

Noticeably different to the TV Series at points, but appreciate why they've changed it. Looking forward to tucking into the third. ( )
  arewenotben | Jul 31, 2020 |
I finished the second book today…and when i switched to the 3rd i got so excited when i saw it was over 1000 pages!

I am such a nerd (but then again, if i wasn’t i wouldn’t be writing this would i?)

Anyway…i love George R. R. Martin, he has joined my top 10 fav authors without a doubt. I love the fact the story is told through multiple POVs, i love how the story is always moving foward with hints to the past, but the past never takes you completely away from the main story line.

I will admit, everything that’s going on with Bran is a little weird, and almost out of place, i’m sure though, as the story continues it’ll make a little more sense. Also, i wish there was more of Arya, she is by far my fav character along with Tyrion (who never fails to make me chuckle).

Also, i need more Jon snow, less Davos and maybe a few chapters on Robb…he’s been oddly silent and I’m always wondering what he’s up too.

Also Theon? ugh he and littlefinger always make me feel a little dirty…and not in a good way.

I love the idea of Sansa and the Hound, please, somebody tell me they hook up, because that would be awesome.

And now i conclude this post because i’m rambling.

Happy Readings!

The Book Worm ( )
  artdamnit_reads | Jul 29, 2020 |
← Part 1

I span away from the counter, my ominous black cloak pillowing behind me like a… pillow? No, wait, it billowed, not pillowed. That would be ridiculous. Where was I?

Oh right, Waterstones. I clutched my newly bought copy of A Clash of Kings in one hand, my grandfather's longsword in the other hand, and a shield in someone else's hand. “Thanks for holding my shield, Barry,” I said to Barry, who was holding my shield.

“Don't mention it,” said Barry. “I'm just glad I can repay the debt my family owes yours after aaarrrrggghh,” continued Barry.

“No, the debt was because of the assistance my great nuncle leant to your grandmother in the Battle of Gregg's, not because of aaarrrrggghh,” I said. “What does that even mean?" I asked, turning to Barry. But Barry couldn't answer. A hardbound edition of H.G. Wells' complete works had fallen from the top shelf and struck him atop the head, crushing his skull and for some reason spilling his entrails all over the carpet. “Hey, Barry, you don't look so ‘Wells’!” I said, with a small chuckle, as I checked his corpse for valuables.

A few pounds better off I moved on past the rest of the science fiction and fantasy section and found myself amongst the horror titles. An ill wind blew at my back and I couldn't shake the feeling that something was amiss. There was nothing I could put my finger on, but my battle hardened senses were telling me I shouldn't linger there. So I stepped past the dead bodies crowding the floor and ducked under the ones hanging from the ceiling.

Emerging from the forest of the dead I inexplicably found myself back at the counter whence I had started my journey north. Or maybe south. Or east. Whatever. I was going to ask the lady at the counter which direction was north, but she spoke first. “Valar morghulis," she said, and pointed a crossbow at my head.

Part 3 → ( )
  imlee | Jul 7, 2020 |
← Part 1

I span away from the counter, my ominous black cloak pillowing behind me like a… pillow? No, wait, it billowed, not pillowed. That would be ridiculous. Where was I?

Part 3 → ( )
  leezeebee | Jul 6, 2020 |
Las het boek voor de tweede keer, omdat ik, terwijl ik boek 3 weer probeerde op te pakken, een heleboel vergeten was. Dus bij boek 1 begonnen, wat snel weglas. En toen dus weer dit boek. Wat minder snel weglas. Minder spanning, en daardoor lastiger om door te blijven lezen. Terwijl het op zich makkelijk wegleest. Maar sommige stukken, en personages vond ik minder interessant en daar moest ik me doorheen bijten. En uiteindelijk valt er wel te concluderen dat er in 900 pagina's uiteindelijk vrij weinig écht gebeurd is.
Boek 3 laat ik toch nog even liggen. Even de focus op iets anders. ( )
  prettygoodyear | Jun 29, 2020 |
Martin manages very well to have satisfying volume completion and satisfying character arcs within the volume—slightly less well than in the first book, but still remarkably well considering how difficult it is.
added by Shortride | editTor.com, Jo Walton (Sep 10, 2009)

Roy Dotrice rises to the challenge, providing each character with his or her own unique voice.
added by readysetgo | editAudiofile (Jun 1, 2004)

Once again Martin treats us to a magnificent tapestry that is, at once, both stunningly detailed and amazing in its ability to draw the reader into its grasp.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Wayne MacLaurin (Feb 1, 1999)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
to John and Gail
for all the meat and mead we've shared
The comet's tail spread across the dawn, a red slash that bled above the crags of Dragonstone like a wound in the pink and purple sky.
This world is twisted beyond hope, when lowborn smugglers must vouch for the honor of kings.
Crowns do queer things to the heads beneath them.
"In a room sits three great men, a king, a priest, and a rich man with his gold. Between them stands a sellsword, a little man of common birth and no great mind. Each of the great ones bids him slay the other two. 'Do it,' says the king, 'for I am your lawful ruler.' 'Do it,' says the priest, 'for I command you in the names of the gods.' 'Do it,' says the rich man, 'and all this gold shall be yours.' So tell me--who lives and who dies?"
There's no shame in fear, my father told me, what matters is how we face it.
Some men are like swords, made for fighting. Hang them up and they go to rust.
In the portuguese edition The Clash of Kings is actually the 3rd book, because the publisher split game of thrones in two books game of thrones and Muralha de Gelo (Wall of Ice)
Dette er den andre av to deler av boken "A Game of Thrones" i serien "A Song of Ice and Fire". De har utgaver med forskjellig tittel på omslaget og tittelsiden. (Henholdsvis { Bok I Del II} & {Bok 2})

Publisher description for A Clash of Kings;

Time is out of joint. The summer of peace and plenty, ten years long, is drawing to a close, and the harsh, chill winter approaches like an angry beast. Two great leaders--Lord Eddard Stark and Robert Baratheon--who held sway over an age of enforced peace are dead...victims of royal treachery. Now, from the ancient citadel of Dragonstone to the forbidding shores of Winterfell, chaos reigns, as pretenders to the Iron Throne of the Seven Kingdoms prepare to stake their claims through tempest, turmoil, and war.

As a prophecy of doom cuts across the sky--a comet the color of blood and flame--six factions struggle for control of a divided land. Eddard's son Robb has declared himself King in the North. In the south, Joffrey, the heir apparent, rules in name only, victim of the scheming courtiers who teem over King's Landing. Robert's two brothers each seek their own dominion, while a disfavored house turns once more to conquest. And a continent away, an exiled queen, the Mother of Dragons, risks everything to lead her precious brood across a hard hot desert to win back the crown that is rightfully hers.

A Clash of Kings transports us into a magnificent, forgotten land of revelry and revenge, wizardry and warfare. It is a tale in which maidens cavort with madmen, brother plots against brother, and the dead rise to walk in the night. Here a princess masquerades as an orphan boy; a knight of the mind prepares a poison for a treacherous sorceress; and wild men descend from the Mountains of the Moon to ravage the countryside.

Against a backdrop of incest and fratricide, alchemy and murder, the price of glory may be measured in blood. And the spoils of victory may just go to the men and women possessed of the coldest steel...and the coldest hearts. For when rulers clash, all of the land feels the tremors.
Winter is coming.
who cares? lets kill everyone
valar morghulis
(miketopper)
New guys ev'ry page
Don't even try to keep track
They're going to die
(mazeway)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,872,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible