Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton
3,139652,652 (4)1 / 148
    A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge (orange_epsilon)
    orange_epsilon: If you like reading about space travel and alien cultures, then this is the book for you.
    The Dreaming Void by Peter F. Hamilton (jannis)

English (64)  Catalan (1)  All languages (65)
If you like a big number of protagonists, many storylines, and lots and lots of world building, this book is for you. If you don't, well, don't pick it up. Great North Road was the first book by Hamilton that I've read. At almost 1000 pages the first 300 were such a drag that I actually considered putting it down and never picking it up again. But then it picked up, and I did have a hard time putting it down for such unimportant things like eat, sleep, work, you know, life. So with Pandora's Star I knew what I was getting myself into though it held my interest from page one. Another 1000 pages book that brought many characters, plots, sub-plots, and made it even harder to put down once everything started coming together. I do understand why some people don't like it. Tastes are different. To me, Peter F. Hamilton is a space opera master, and I bow before him. ( )
1 vote Powerschnute | Mar 21, 2019 |
This is the longest novel I've read to date, but I can't say it felt long. Except for a few small portions that were a bit of a slog, it moved along at a good pace and wasn't boring. Readers may want to take notes, though; there were a few times when a character was introduced and then didn't appear again for 500 pages and I had forgotten who they were. There is a lot going on in this book. It was hard to see how some of the subplots were in any way connected to the main story, but connect they eventually did. It was kind of amazing how it all came together, actually. This book is only the first half of the saga and it literally ends on a cliffhanger. ( )
  chaosfox | Feb 22, 2019 |
Very entertaining. I look forward to the rest of the series. ( )
  brokensandals | Feb 7, 2019 |
I found this at our local used book store, and wowza. Granted I'm a sci-fi nut, but Hamilton surprised me, with how deep his universe goes and how well he lays it all out.

My only gripe, and this isn't a Hamilton problem, but I had no idea it was a two parter, until I was 7/8s done and the story wasn't resolving, a quick flip to the back page, and low and behold, a second part.

If you're into the deeper sci-fi stories that have real people and lots of them, this two book series is a must. I'm reading the second part right now. ( )
1 vote jwilker | May 23, 2018 |
Tried twice, abandoned twice. This story just meanders too much. ( )
  josh513 | Feb 3, 2018 |
Mars completely dominated space outside the Ulysses, the bloated dirty-ginger crescent of a planet that never quite made it as a world.(Prologue)
The star vanished from the center of the telescope's image in less time than a single human heartbeat.
German translation of the first half of "Pandora's Star"

Wormholes expand life

To other planets until

Enemy wakens.

(legallypuzzled)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345479211, Mass Market Paperback)

Critics have compared the engrossing space operas of Peter F. Hamilton to the classic sagas of such sf giants as Isaac Asimov and Frank Herbert. But Hamilton’s bestselling fiction—powered by a fearless imagination and world-class storytelling skills—has also earned him comparison to Tolstoy and Dickens. Hugely ambitious, wildly entertaining, philosophically stimulating: the novels of Peter F. Hamilton will change the way you think about science fiction. Now, with Pandora’s Star, he begins a new multivolume adventure, one that promises to be his most mind-blowing yet.

The year is 2380. The Intersolar Commonwealth, a sphere of stars some four hundred light-years in diameter, contains more than six hundred worlds, interconnected by a web of transport “tunnels” known as wormholes. At the farthest edge of the Commonwealth, astronomer Dudley Bose observes the impossible: Over one thousand light-years away, a star . . . vanishes. It does not go supernova. It does not collapse into a black hole. It simply disappears. Since the location is too distant to reach by wormhole, a faster-than-light starship, the Second Chance, is dispatched to learn what has occurred and whether it represents a threat. In command is Wilson Kime, a five-time rejuvenated ex-NASA pilot whose glory days are centuries behind him.

Opposed to the mission are the Guardians of Selfhood, a cult that believes the human race is being manipulated by an alien entity they call the Starflyer. Bradley Johansson, leader of the Guardians, warns of sabotage, fearing the Starflyer means to use the starship’s mission for its own ends,.

Pursued by a Commonwealth special agent convinced the Guardians are crazy but dangerous, Johansson flees. But the danger is not averted. Aboard the Second Chance, Kime wonders if his crew has been infiltrated. Soon enough, he will have other worries. A thousand light-years away, something truly incredible is waiting: a deadly discovery whose unleashing will threaten to destroy the Commonwealth . . . and humanity itself.

Could it be that Johansson was right?

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:59 -0400)

The year is 2380. The Intersolar Commonwealth, a sphere of stars some four hundred light-years in diameter, contains more than six hundred worlds, interconnected by a web of transport "tunnels" known as wormholes. At the farthest edge of the Commonwealth, astronomer Dudley Bose observes the impossible: Over one thousand light-years away, a star ... vanishes. It does not go supernova. It does not collapse into a black hole. It simply disappears. Since the location is too distant to reach by wormhole, a faster-than-light starship, the Second Chance, is dispatched to learn what has occurred and whether it represents a threat. In command is Wilson Kime, a five-time rejuvenated ex-NASA pilot whose glory days are centuries behind him. Opposed to the mission are the Guardians of Selfhood, a cult that believes the human race is being manipulated by an alien entity they call the Starflyer. Bradley Johansson, leader of the Guardians, warns of sabotage, fearing the Starflyer means to use the starshipb7ss mission for its own ends. Pursued by a Commonwealth special agent convinced the Guardians are crazy but dangerous, Johansson flees. But the danger is not averted. Aboard the Second Chance, Kime wonders if his crew has been infiltrated. Soon enough, he will have other worries. A thousand light-years away, something truly incredible is waiting: a deadly discovery whose unleashing will threaten to destroy the Commonwealth ... and humanity itself. Could it be that Johansson was right?… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,243,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible