Across the Nightingale Floor

by Lian Hearn

Series: Tales of the Otori (1)

Already a sensation around the world, this first book of the Otori Trilogy is a brilliantly imagined, wholly seductive tale of war, passion, and intrigue, evoking the spirit of medieval Japan. It is the story of a boy who is suddenly plucked from his life in a remote and peaceful village to find himself a pawn in a political scheme filled with treacherous warlords, rivalry and the intensity of first love.… (more)
    Cloud of Sparrows by Takashi Matsuoka (AHS-Wolfy)
    AHS-Wolfy: Historical fiction set in Japan with a light touch of fantasy.
    Shogun by James Clavell (leahsimone)
    Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart (wordcauldron)
    Heart of the Ronin (the Ronin Trilogy: Volume One) by Travis Heermann (wordcauldron)
    The Initiate Brother by Sean Russell (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Another fantasy set in a feudal Asian society. Epic and satisfying -- be sure to read both The Initiate Brother and Gatherer of Clouds.
    Tiger by Jeff Stone (benfulton)
    benfulton: Tiger is aimed at younger readers, but the less fantastic story.
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (soffitta1)
    soffitta1: A coming of age story, a noble boy with an uncertain future.

English (116)  French (3)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (121)
Actually read this a long time ago but for some reason never added this to my books.

Could be because it didnt leave a lasting impression on me. On paper the plot sounds very exciting (ninjas! adventure!) but the narrative is too dry and you never manage to connect with the characters.

I never even tried to start on the other books. Not horribly bad...just simply not that interested. ( )
  Litrvixen | Jun 23, 2022 |
Loved all four books of the Asian fantasy series, and any fans of Shogun are sure to enjoy this series.
...
I just finished rereading the novel and feel very differently from the other people who’ve already posted in the SF & Fantasy Thread. I think this book written by a westerner is very Japanese, I believe that’s why it is paced the way it is. Sure love at first sight is unbelievable but imagine a fifteen year old girl, forced to marry against her will. She is dreading meeting the old man who’ll force himself upon her. Suddenly she’s filled with relief when she sees the young man who she believes is to be her husband, may it isn’t love at first sight as much as relief at first sight.

I don’t believe that good fantasy has to have a twist ending. When Frodo picked up the ring and headed to Mordor, I had no doubt that he’d arrive and destroy the ring but I’ve read and reread LOTR enough times to make it an all time favorite.

Keep reading if you like ninjas and pirates, there’s only four more books to go.
  kevn57 | Dec 8, 2021 |
I love historical stories and especially oriental ones. This book kept me glued throughout the whole thing ( )
  dookdragon87 | Oct 25, 2021 |
Fantastic book - A solid beginning to what promises to be a must read anthology. ( )
  pamirick | Jun 10, 2021 |
This book really did have a touch of magic in every word, in my opinion. Takeo's loyalty to Otori Shigeru was haunting and so perfectly constructed and his determination and drive to do the right thing kept the story going forwards brilliantly. Kaede's innocence but also her determination and strength of character made her a force to be reckoned with all of her own. It was beautifully written.

In terms of historical accuracy for the setting, I really don't know... but the book has characters with literal magic powers so I'm sure it can be forgiven for any inaccuracies, because it's clearly not set in the world as we understand it anyway.

I'm excited to read the rest of the series. Definitely glad I took the time to listen to this book. ( )
  TCLinrow | Mar 17, 2021 |

Lian Hearnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gray, KevinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jonassen, Fartein DøvleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nakasone, AikoNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Serra, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A prophecy governs their fate. Blood, honour and love rule their hearts.
Cuentan
que la cierva que se aparea en otoño
con el arbusto de lespedeza
engendra un único cervatillo.
Un muchacho solitario
emprende un largo viaje,
con la hierba de almohada.

Manyoshu, vol. IX
N° 1.790

Hiroaki Sato & Burton Watson
The country of the eight islands
for E
My mother used to threaten to tear me into eight pieces if I knocked over the water bucket, or pretended not to hear her calling me to come home as the dusk thickened and the cicadas' shrilling increased.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,975,872 books! | Top bar: Always visible