Eragon by Christopher Paolini

Eragon (2002)

by Christopher Paolini

Series: The Inheritance Cycle (1)

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (jubjub_luver1)
    jubjub_luver1: Both are great adventure books, full of fantasy, adventure, and dragons!
    The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien (jpers36)
    Eldest by Christopher Paolini (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Continuation of the story . . .
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Proginoskes)
    Proginoskes: A necessity for any fan of quality fantasy to read.
    Brisingr by Christopher Paolini (snapplechick)
    Archie Wilson: & The Nuckelavee (Volume 1) by Mark A. Cooper (DonPeterson)
    The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan (hermionewannabe)
    hermionewannabe: If you enjoy fantasy works than you will love the Eragon series.
    Dragon's Blood by Jane Yolen (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: In Dragon's Blood, indentured servant Jakkin struggles to win his freedom by secretly raising a stolen dragon's egg. I loved Jakkin's bond with his dragon and the intrigue of it all.
    Inheritance by Christopher Paolini (dagnirath)
    Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey (dagnirath)
    Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings (dagnirath)
    dagnirath: Pawn of prophecy... has nothing to do with dragons. However, it does have the same writing style, and Eddings is a master storyteller.
    The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: If you like quest stories with supernatural creatures, Sea of Trolls is for you. Bard apprentice Jack is kidnapped by Vikings and must face a whole host of creatures straight out of Norse mythology to rescue his sister Lucy.
    Joust by Mercedes Lackey (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Book one of a great series from Mercedes Lackey.
    Warhammer 40,000 Codex: Tyranids 2004 by Games Workshop (Journey07)
    Journey07: I recommend this book because it is a great book. Who doesn't love a good story about dragons?
    Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey (macoram)
    Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey (macoram, macoram)
    Dragonsinger by Anne McCaffrey (macoram)
    Dragonquest by Anne McCaffrey (macoram)
    The Skies of Pern by Anne McCaffrey (macoram)
    Dragonsdawn by Anne McCaffrey (macoram)

English (528)  German (5)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Vietnamese (1)  Croatian (1)  All (1)  Danish (1)  All (545)
  Samantha_D | Jul 16, 2017 |
I was surprised how much I liked this book. It is really well written and I am looking forward to the rest! ( )
  pirogoeth | Jul 11, 2017 |
Audiobook narrated by Gerard Doyle

From the book jacket: When Eragon finds a polished blue stone in the forest, he thinks it is the lucky discovery of a poor farm boy; perhaps it will buy his family meat for the winter. But when the stone brings a dragon hatchling, Eragon soon realizes he has stumbled upon a legacy nearly as old as the Empire itself. Overnight his simple life is shattered, and he is thrust into a perilous new world of destiny, magic, and power. With only an ancient sword and the advice of an old storyteller for guidance, Eragon and the fledgling dragon must navigate the dangerous terrain and dark enemies of an Empire ruled by a king whose evil knows no bounds.

My reactions
This is # 1 in The Inheritance Cycle series. I am clearly not the target audience for this fantasy novel. I found the continued “danger – fight – use of magic - flight” sequence repetitive.

However, kudos to Paolini for creating this complex world, with many characters and beings, mythology, history, diverse landscape, and complex social structure. I liked the central relationship between Eragon and his dragon, Saphira. I also liked the relationships Eragon forged with both Brom and Murtagh – two men who genuinely help the youngster on his quest.

The final battle scene is exciting and innovative in some aspects, though I found the use of magic a little bit of a “cheat” to get the characters out of the impossible situation Paolini had put them in. That’s a small quibble, though – I DO recognize that this is a fantasy novel. The open-ended finale is an obvious attempt to get readers to buy/read the next installment. Totally understandable in this kind of series, but it irritates me nonetheless.

I definitely see the appeal for the intended audience, even if it’s not really my cup of tea. I’ll have to ask my nephew if he read it.

Gerard Doyle does a fine job narrating the audio book, although I thought the voice he used for Saphira was unnecessarily “growly” (can’t think of a better adjective). He especially does a fine job of narrating the battle scenes, adding a sense of apprehension, danger and excitement all at once. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jul 4, 2017 |
*Spoiler alert* The story begins when Eragon, a farm boy, is sent a stone through magic while hunting. It turns out to be a dragon egg. The egg then hatches, and the bond is formed. However, Galbatorix, the evil king sends his monstrous creatures, called the ra’zac, to hunt Eragon and his dragon Saphira. Eragon and Saphira run off with the village story teller, Brom, after the ra’zac kill his uncle, Garrow. They start to hunt the ra’zac in order to achieve revenge, however, Eragon received visions of an elf, Arya, who had been captured. They then instead went to the city she was held at, but Brom was killed. Eragon and Saphira were only just saved by their mysterious new friend, Murtagh. They go to the city where the elf is held, and, after Eragon himself got captured, they freed the elf. The elf is poisoned, however, so the group rushed to the rebel group, known as the Varden, in the dwarvish capital Farthen Dur. She is saved just in time to defend the city from an attack by the urgal, a monstrous race of beings being controlled by the powerful shade, Durza. In the midst of the fight Eragon, with the help of Arya and Saphira, defeats the shade bringing the battle to an end.
The cover is of Saphira, Eragon’s dragon. It helps picture the majesty and beauty of the dragons, however, dragons are far too complex for one picture. The cover does, however, leave an awe of the book that makes it compelling to read.
I recommend this book for anyone and everyone, especially young adults as the main protagonist is in his late teens. However, this book has such a diverse array of characters, that almost anyone could find someone to relate to. I myself relate heavily to Brom, the storyteller full of secrets. (Some will not be revealed until the last book) ( )
  lchs.mrso | May 23, 2017 |
This is a story about a boy who finds a stone that he soon finds out is a dragon egg. He becomes a dragon rider who crusades on many adventures. This book is an excellent fantasy novel that was amazingly written by a teenage boy. I believe that students will relate to this book because it was written by a young adult. Christopher Paolini wrote Eragon as the beginning of a series. Students would enjoy this book because it is full adventure and dragons!
  kristenbnoble | Apr 23, 2017 |
''Eragon,'' for all its flaws, is an authentic work of great talent. The story is gripping; it may move awkwardly, but it moves with force. The power of ''Eragon'' lies in its overall effects -- in the sweep of the story and the conviction of its storyteller. Here, Paolini is leagues ahead of most writers, and it is exactly here that his youth is on his side.

Paolini, Christopherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Doyle, GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuittinen, TeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scotto di Santillo, Maria ConcettaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my mom, for showing me the magic in the world;
to my dad, for revealing the man behind the curtain.
And also my sister, Angela, for helping me when I'm "blue."
Eragon knelt in a bed of trampled reed grass and scanned the tracks with a practiced eye.
PROLOGUE:
SHAED OF FEAR
Wind howled through the night, carrying a scent that would change the world.
It has been one hundred years since the last of the legendary Dragon Riders was slain by the evil Galbatorix, whose tyranny now weighs heavily upon the vast land of Alagaësia. Only three dragon eggs survived the slaughter, and when one of these eggs hatches to a farm-boy named Eragon, Galbatorix dispatches his most fearsome minions to hunt the new Rider down. With his dragon to protect him, Eragon manages to survive the king's first attack, but his uncle is not so lucky. Before long, Eragon finds himself on a quest for revenge that will take him to the far ends of Alagaësia – but an epic power struggle rages around him, and he will soon come to understand the monumental weight of the legacy he has inherited.

AR level 5.6, 25 pts.
Doubleday Children's Books. Hardcover. Book Condition: Fine. 0385607881 Doubleday, 2004. Hardcover. Book Condition: Fine. Dust Jacket Condition: Fine. 1st Edition. flat signed on title page by author. Includes Eragon Bookmark

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440240735, Mass Market Paperback)

Here's a great big fantasy that you can pull over your head like a comfy old sweater and disappear into for a whole weekend. Christopher Paolini began Eragon when he was just 15, and the book shows the influence of Tolkien, of course, but also Terry Brooks, Anne McCaffrey, and perhaps even Wagner in its traditional quest structure and the generally agreed-upon nature of dwarves, elves, dragons, and heroic warfare with magic swords.

Eragon, a young farm boy, finds a marvelous blue stone in a mystical mountain place. Before he can trade it for food to get his family through the hard winter, it hatches a beautiful sapphire-blue dragon, a race thought to be extinct. Eragon bonds with the dragon, and when his family is killed by the marauding Ra'zac, he discovers that he is the last of the Dragon Riders, fated to play a decisive part in the coming war between the human but hidden Varden, dwarves, elves, the diabolical Shades and their neanderthal Urgalls, all pitted against and allied with each other and the evil King Galbatorix. Eragon and his dragon Saphira set out to find their role, growing in magic power and understanding of the complex political situation as they endure perilous travels and sudden battles, dire wounds, capture and escape.

In spite of the engrossing action, this is not a book for the casual fantasy reader. There are 65 names of people, horses, and dragons to be remembered and lots of pseudo-Celtic places, magic words, and phrases in the Ancient Language as well as the speech of the dwarfs and the Urgalls. But the maps and glossaries help, and by the end, readers will be utterly dedicated and eager for the next book, Eldest. (Ages 10 to 14) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:08 -0400)

In Aagaesia, a fifteen-year-old boy of unknown lineage called Eragon finds a mysterious stone that weaves his life into an intricate tapestry of destiny, magic, and power, peopled with dragons, elves, and monsters.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,039,057 books! | Top bar: Always visible