Dragonsong

by Anne McCaffrey

Series: Harper Hall Trilogy (1), Pern (9th pass)

6,173851,204 (4.09)2 / 242
Forbidden by her father to indulge in music in any way, a girl on the planet Pern runs away, taking shelter with the planet's fire lizards who, along with her music, open a new life for her.
Recently added byprivate library, TheGalaxyGirl, 100sheets, Oppencreche, rloks, Stickers, alsocass, SylverC, LadyDita

English (83)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (85)
This book was just as wonderful on a re-read as when I first discovered it decades ago.... Set on the world of Pern, centered around an ordinary and very sympathetic character. Menolly is youngest daughter of a large family in a sea hold- a place very much set in old traditions. Her one love is music- which relieves all the drudgery of cleaning fish, tending her senile uncle and other tasks- but her father disapproves. Life becomes even more unbearable when the Harper who had nurtured her talent dies, and she seriously injures her hand- so her parents tell her she’ll never be able to play an instrument again. Menolly runs away from the Hold and shelters from dangerous Threadfall in a cave on a bluff. She happens across a clutch of fire lizards just as they are hatching- and bonds with nine of the delightful little creatures. The dragonlike lizards seem to like her music, easing her loneliness, and Menolly has enough skills as a fisherman’s daughter to survive there. Until one day she’s found by a dragonrider, running from Thread (having wandered a bit too far from her cave). He takes her to a weyr where she is shocked at the treatment she receives- kindness, understanding, even appreciation for her music when she looses caution and sings in front of others. Her confusion and alarm at being given attention and kindness makes you realize just how badly she’d been treated back home. (Meanwhile, all this time back at seahold, only her brother and the new replacement Harper had continued to look for her when she ran away and was presumed dead!) It’s with relief and gladness that the reader sees Menolly at the end of the book facing a possible new life for herself- one in which she can embrace her talent and grow, instead of feeling constantly squelched and shamed.

from the Dogear Diary ( )
1 vote jeane | Apr 24, 2021 |
A good enough story, but I wish I had read it before [b:The White Dragon|127586|The White Dragon (Pern, #3)|Anne McCaffrey|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1307994871s/127586.jpg|2886933]. ( )
  octoberdad | Dec 16, 2020 |
blah blah absolutely favourite comfort books about bad ass new goddesses and little dragons blah blah blah blah ( )
  kickthebeat | Nov 1, 2020 |
Spellbinding tale of Menolly of Half Circle Hold, a brave young girl who flees her seaside village and discovers the legendary fire lizards of Pern.
All her life, Menolly has longed to learn the ancient secrets of the Harpers, the master musicians of Harper Hall. When her stern father denies her the chance to make her dream come true, Menolly runs away from home. Hiding in a cave by the sea, she finds nine magical fire lizards who join her on a breathtaking journey to Harper Hall.
  Gmomaj | Dec 6, 2019 |
Dragonsong, this book means a ton to me. The Harper Hall Trilogy is what got me into McCaffrey’s work.

I will not lie though going back years after I originally read this there are what some would call “issues” with the book. It’s very clear that it was written with an older mind set. There are tons of “she can’t do this, she is a girl” and “ I can’t do this, because I am a girl” and “girls are not allowed to do that” going on in this book. But while these phrases are used constantly our main girl Menolly constantly questions it and gets very annoyed by it. Menolly is a sweet girl, I love her dearly and through out the book I understand why I connected with her at such a young age. She has a talent that everyone wants to hide, they lie to keep it from her and when she finally has enough of it, she leaves, probably not the smartest thing for a young girl to look up to but I did.

McCraffrey doesn’t over-explain her world in this book but it does get a little repetitive, such as the fall of thread, it was reexplained many times to the point of annoyance. But to make up for it I do love the little details she uses to explain the fire lizards and dragons. I do keep in mind it’s a short book so she doesn’t go super into detail about how they look but she puts a lot of detail into how they function and how the society functions as a whole, which is nice.

Overall it’s a great book for the time it was released and for the targeted audience, I feel had I not read this at the age of 12 I probably wouldn’t have such love for it like I do. Still it’s great writing I won’t deny that, and it’s still a special love for me. ( )
  SweetKokoro | Aug 13, 2019 |

Orosz, KatalinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pierce, TamoraIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reß-Bohusch, BirgitTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reinsalu, TiinaKujundaja.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robert-Forest, Marie-ChristineCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roe, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rondeaux, EricTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thimonier, DidierCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Uustalu, LindaToimetaja.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Beth Blish who stands first in line for a dragon - behind me!
Almost as if the elements, too, mourned the death of the gentle old Harper, a southeaster blew for three days, locking even the burial barge in the safety of the Dock Cavern.

The oppressed escapes.
Her music like a haiku.
Will not plagiarise.
(Alsocass)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,942,689 books! | Top bar: Always visible