Dragonhaven by Robin McKinley

Dragonhaven (2007)

by Robin McKinley

When Jake Mendoza, who lives in the Smokehill National Park where his father runs the Makepeace Institute of Integrated Dragon Studies, goes on his first solo overnight in the park, he finds an infant dragon whose mother has been killed by a poacher.

I am surprised this book worked for me, what with the narration being somewhat disjointed and repetitive. Repetition is one of the things that can turn me off a book pretty quickly. But somehow these elements just seemed to make the main character's attempts to describe both the traumatic and the almost inexplicable more real. There were things I didn't like--some of the language, and a thing or two that were not necessary to the plot that I felt the author threw in just to be able to say she had, but beyond that I enjoyed the story very much and feel she found the voice to tell it in. ( )
  vikinga | Jul 31, 2019 |
Lots of echoes of Diana Wynne Jones' 'Dragon Reserve, Home Eight' - or at least, what I remember of it. Now I need to go look that one up and see if they really relate at all. Dragonhaven is a lot richer and more filled-in, anyway - McKinley took Dragon Reserve and ran with it. Very interesting voice in the story - the fact that he's writing it afterward and reluctantly...I'd like to come back to that world in about 100 years and see what's happened.
Reread - but I didn't remember ever reading it before. It's a great story of culture clash - two human cultures (inside and outside the park) and the dragons. Lots of neat questions raised, very few answers - I'd (still) love to read a story set about a hundred years later. It is a somewhat odd voice - not only that he's writing it well after the fact, but that during the events he was pretty well out of it one way or another the whole time. Scientist parents do help with instinctive note-taking, though. Lots of very interesting people, human and otherwise. Darn, I thought I'd found a new McKinley...ah well, it was almost as good as new. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jul 18, 2019 |
Woaw! I had no clue what I was going to find when I opened this book. I knew I would probably like it based off the dust cover - dragons, duh, but this book was so much more than that. I really loved the way this played out. The ending was maybe my least favorite part, but that's in the scope of really liking the whole. This is not a traditional book in the sense that it is not written like many other books. It's written like a fourteen year old boy would maybe write a book, which is exactly what was supposed to have happened, fictionally. It's a jumbled way to tell a story but it is so right here. Seems a lot of people didn't like that. It was too disorganized for them. I found it added to the story. And I suppose what I loved the most about this book was Jake playing mom. It just gave me all these warm fuzzy feelings. Great, great book. Maybe not for everyone. Defiantly for me. I've already bought a copy for my personal shelves. ;) ( )
  Kassilem | Aug 31, 2018 |
The story in this book is fantastic, but I feel I should warn you: this is not written in Robin McKinley's usual style. It is written in the style of a teenage boy who would really rather be doing something other than writing. I think it's brilliant because one of the major themes of the book is the struggle to communicate, but you might not like it as much as I did. The plot entirely makes up for it, in my opinion! ( )
  R.E.Stearns | Aug 15, 2017 |
I respect what McKinley was trying to do here—I'm sure every author wants to try something completely new every now and again—but my goodness, this book was a slog. I kept expecting the writing style to get less painful and less difficult to read, either as the protagonist (described as an avid reader, though that never showed in his "writing"...) aged, or as I kept reading and just got used to it. But it never did. ( )
  bibliovermis | Sep 5, 2016 |

Robin McKinleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hovnatanian, PamelinaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, CraigCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Holly, Hazel, and Rowan
I keep having these conversations with Dad. I'm at my computer. He says, "What are you doing?" I mutter something, because the screen has a lot of squiggles on it, so he already knows what I'm doing.
The usual sorts of field surveys just don't work with dragons. Uh-huh, you say, thirty to eighty feet long (plus tail), flies, breathes fire, and you can't find them to count? Yup. That's right. You can't. After Old Pete opened the cages, they didn't just wander off, they disappeared. That's one of the reasons that a few people - Old Pete included - started wondering if dragons were, you know, intelligent.

Well, the mainstream scientists weren't having any of that, of course, humans are humans and animals are animals and anyone who says it's not that simple is a sentimental fool and a Bad Scientist. There is nothing you can say to a scientist that's worse than accusing them of being a Bad Scientist. They'd rather be arrested for bank robbery than for sentimentality.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,816,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible