Eldest (2005)

by Christopher Paolini

Series: The Inheritance Cycle (2)

After successfully evading an Urgals ambush, Eragon is adopted into the Ingeitum clan and sent to finish his training so he can further help the Varden in their struggle against the Empire.

English (251)  German (4)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (261)
“We are about to change history, said Saphira.
We’re throwing ourselves off a cliff without knowing how deep the water below is.
Ah, but what a glorious flight!
(Eragon to Saphira)”
― Christopher Paolini, Eldest

I try to express only my most honest opinion in a spoiler free way. If you feel anything in my review is a spoiler and is not already hidden in spoiler brackets please let me know. Thank you.
In the second book of The Inheritance Cycle series. The battle is won and the Shade is dead, but it has come with heavy prices. One of which being Eragon is injured and no magic can fix it completely, leaving him a bit of a cripple. However the war is still raging and Eragon and Saphira still need to go to the elves to complete his training. Meanwhile the rest of the Varden are moving. And Roran is leading out all of his beloved hometown to meet up with them, find Eragon, and save Katrina. Everything comes to a head with another epic battle of course.
Ok so first off I want to apologize if any spelling is wrong. I listened to it on audio so I'm not sure on all the spelling. As for the audio itself. It was long. About 24 hours. However the narrator isn't bad. I've had better but he does give each of the characters their own unique voice, including the dragons. This is also a reread for me as I've read the first three of the series years ago. Its a great and epic fantasy. If you love all things fantasy, then this series is diffinitely for you. I think the progression of the story is good here. It does have the lull that you tend to find in book 2's though. However, it explains alot of questions that you most likely have after the first book which I think is important to the rest of the story. The only problem with this book is there are parts that are so slow that my mind wanders. I would have given it a 4 star, but I don't change my ratings and I have already given it a 5 so a 5 it stays, but I still thought it worth mentioning.
How I choose my rating:
1* Did not finish, or hated it but forced myself to finish.
2** Didn't really like it. Didn't hate it but not sure why I finished it other then for some closure.
3*** I liked it. I had some issues with it, but as a whole it was good. I probably won't reread again ever, but there is a chance I might finish the series. (If part of one) But if not it's not a huge loss.
4**** I really liked this book. Maybe not a work of genius, but highly entertaining. I might reread this again, and I will finish the series. (If part of one) I would recommend to those I know hold interest in this books content.
5***** I loved this book. I found little to no issues with it at all. I will definitely be rereading this and probably more than once. I will finish the series and reread it multiple times. (If part of one) I will recommend this book to EVERYONE!!!!
  starslight86 | Jul 20, 2021 |
My 10 year old son and I are reading this series together - the audio books - and we both very much enjoyed it. I would have given it a 3.5 and he would have given it a 5 (he's very easy) so I rated it 4 stars. ( )
  amcheri | May 25, 2021 |
hb
  5083mitzi | Mar 18, 2021 |
I actually want to give this a 4.5~4.7. One of the opening scenes in this book was hard for me to follow, but after reading all the way to the end, it makes a lot more sense. And that wasn't the only time I thought, hmmm, that doesn't seem well planned/make sense... only to continue reading and find out later I just needed to be patient for Paolini to reveal things that the POV characters weren't aware of at the time.

I love the complexity and depths of so many of the characters and how many actions and decisions are not given a 'good' or 'bad' label but also shown to be complex with various shades of grey.

I was surprised by some turns of events, and sometimes saddened that what I hoped was me misreading Paolini's foreshadowing and hints turned out to be correct. I don't remember him having multiple POV characters in Eragon but his use of changing points in this book really enhanced the suspense at some points, and helped to fill in gaps at others. If you liked the first book, keep reading. The story is worth continuing. ( )
  Sara_Cat | Mar 6, 2021 |
Not near as good as Eragon. My main problem was Rohan. The parts with Eragon were decent if not good but for some reason I found Rohan super annoying. I know he brought it all together at the end but really I don't think the author is in touch with Rohan as much as Eragon. Let's hope the next book is better. ( )
  mcsp | Jan 25, 2021 |
Nothing wrong with a good thick serving of swords 'n' sorcery, but it needs a hero. In the hands of a writer like George R.R. Martin, Lois McMaster Bujold, Barbara Hambly, or J. K. Rowling, the central characters of fantasy are persons worth knowing: smart, flawed, moral, doomed to love the world more than the world loves back. It's fun that they're kings and queens and wizards, but we read the books because Miles Vorkosigan or Harry Potter are in them, the kind of people we'd like to know and be. Unfortunately, Eragon just doesn't measure up to the standard; he's a Frankenstein video-game hero, clanking with magic armor, charms, and weapons, but long on seams and short that essential spark of life.

It's clear that Paolini has drive and talent, and "Eldest" is, for the most part, competently constructed and written. The problem, however, is that anyone committed to reading a 2,000-page epic deserves more than competence and tropes that have been used countless times before.

Paolini, Christopherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Doyle, GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scotto di Santillo, Maria ConcettaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"As always, this book is for my family. And also to my incredible fans. You made this adventure possible. Se onr sverdar sitja hvass!"
"The songs of the dead are the lamentations of the living."

Eragon Shadeslayer may have protected the Varden from the wrath of an army of Urgals, but his skills still pale in comparison to those of the mighty tyrant Galbatorix, who he must overthrow to restore peace to the land of Alagaësia. He and Saphira must venture to the elven city of Ellesméra in the far north, to complete their training as Rider and dragon. Eragon, however, still carries a debilitating scar from his battle with the Shade Durza, and begins to wonder if any amount of training can ever place him on equal footing with Galbatorix. Elsewhere, Eragon’s cousin Roran struggles for survival as the misshapen Ra’zac besiege his hometown, intent on using him to bring Eragon under control. As both cousins struggle against overwhelming odds, the king rallies his forces to crush the Varden – and with them, all hope of resistance.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,641,056 books! | Top bar: Always visible