Dragonflight (1968)

by Anne McCaffrey

Series: Pern: Dragonriders of Pern: original trilogy (1), De drakenrijders van Pern (1), Pern ((Original trilogy) 8th Interval - 9th pass), Dragonriders of Pern: Chronological Order (16)

HOW CAN ONE GIRL SAVE AN ENTIRE WORLD?To the nobles who live in Benden Weyr, Lessa is nothing but a ragged kitchen girl. For most of her life she has survived by serving those who betrayed her father and took over his lands. Now the time has come for Lessa to shed her disguise-and take back her stolen birthright. But everything changes when she meets a queen dragon. The bond they share will be deep and last forever. It will protect them when, for the first time in centuries, Lessa's world is threatened by Thread, an evil substance that falls like rain and destroys everything it touches. Dragons and their Riders once protected the planet from Thread, but there are very few of them left these days. Now brave Lessa must risk her life, and the life of her beloved dragon, to save her beautiful world. . . .From the Paperback edition.… (more)
Recently added byTurtleStampede, quavmo, SamSheff, nboy, KaiStarkk, private library, Arena800
    His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik (justjukka)
    justjukka: Both Novik and McCaffrey take great care in developing the worlds for their respective series. If you like one, you may very well like the other.
    Joust by Mercedes Lackey (geophile)
    Damia by Anne McCaffrey (raq929)
    Dragon's Blood by Jane Yolen (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Bonds with dragons in science-fictional societies- I read these two series in my early teen years and they are inextricably intertwined in my memory.
    Forty Thousand in Gehenna by C. J. Cherryh (Aquila)
    Aquila: Another excellent book about an abandoned colony forming symbiotic relationships with alien dragons ;-)
    Arrows of the Queen by Mercedes Lackey (amanda4242, ktoonen)
    ktoonen: Magical creatures paired telepathically with human youths (dragons versus horses/Companions), with similar feminist tones.
    Archangel by Sharon Shinn (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: They both have a fascinating fantasy world setting with some parallels (weyrs/dragons vs aeries/angels) and important traditions that have been forgotten and must be renewed. They also both have a duty-driven hero, a strong, resourceful heroine who begins the story as a servant but was not born to that life. Even the nature of the romance, which is something like "arranged" is similar between the stories.… (more)
    The Elvenbane by Andre Norton (Cloverlimes)
    Cloverlimes: Common themes of telepathy, dragons, and revolution.
    Thursdays with the Crown by Jessica Day George (humouress)
    humouress: Although the [Castle Glower] series is aimed at a younger audience, it also deals with the issues and the wonder of bonding with a mythical creature.
    Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: Both epic series feature a young but clever leader, his intrepid female "partner in crime", great world-building, and -- oh yeah! Dragons!
    The Memory of Earth by Orson Scott Card (aulandez)
    aulandez: Lost World setting in which simplicity has been used to avoid the past failings of humanity. Similar use of sci-fi tools, similar characterization, straightforward yet not overly simple.

English (143)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Chinese, traditional (1)  All languages (146)
McCaffrey's Pern series enchanted me from the beginning. I loved the concept of a fantasy dragon based protection system for a space anomaly. Such a creative idea and, as the series goes on, the world of Pern becomes more real and lovable. ( )
  Windyone1 | May 10, 2022 |
Anne McCaffrey created a fantasy world so vivid that she has captivated an audience for generations. Anne is no longer with us, but her books still live on. Highly recommended.

On the beautiful planet Pern, colonized for centuries, Land Holders and Craftsmen have traditionally tithed food and supplies to the dragonweyrs to which they are bound. In times past, the mighty telepathic dragons and their riders were the only protection from the dreaded, life-threatening Thread.
But it has been over 400 years since the last Threadfall, and some people have come to doubt that the menace will ever strike again. But F'lar, rider of Pern's greatest bronze dragon, has no such illusions. The Red Star is near; Thread will fall soon. ( )
  Gmomaj | Apr 26, 2022 |
I still love this series, but boy this one gets a little less well aged every time. I think I definitely like reading chrono order instead of published order because of this. It gives you a few slightly more modernly written books to get you into the world before you have this one. Lots of important stuff happens here, but that (conservative variety of) 1968 mindset looks really long ago and far away from today.

It's interesting reading the slightly different preludes from older copies. Mostly a change in emphasis, but still interesting. ( )
  Malaraa | Apr 26, 2022 |
Well it's a McCaffrey book I managed to get through, but that (and Mnementh's dry sense of humor) is about the best I can say about it. The characters are flat, the writing style dry, the introduction of time travel convoluted, the "romance" dreadful and problematic, the character decisions nonsensical, and the few named women mostly negative stereotypes. ( )
1 vote hissingpotatoes | Dec 28, 2021 |
This was another one of my series-sampling audio listens, to see if I might want to pursue it in print someday.

Audio Narration
The narrator is Dick Hill. I can’t really pinpoint all the reasons why, but his narration didn’t work well for me. His non-dialogue narration was fine as far as I can remember; I think most of my issues were with the dialogue. He over-dramatized some of it, making the characters, even the ones we were supposed to like, sometimes sound psychotic and deranged to my ears. I think I wouldn’t have cared for the characters much anyway based on the text, but the narration really didn’t help in that regard.

Story
On the surface of it, this seems like something I should have liked. It seems questionable as to whether it’s fantasy or science fiction, but it reads very much like an epic fantasy story and I’m usually easy to please when it comes to epic fantasy. Somehow this one didn’t work for me, though. The story is set on a planet called Pern which occasionally comes into range of another planet that has deadly “Threads” that invade Pern and threaten all life. Dragons were created to help fight the thready threat, bonded with Riders. The problem is that the threat recurs so rarely, and it has now been about 400 years. People have begun to disbelieve the legends and are no longer prepared to face the threat if it comes again.

The story only moderately held my attention, despite having elements I feel like I should have liked, and I didn’t much care for the characters. Lessa was foolish, irresponsible, and annoying as hell. I wanted to like F’lar, but he was an ass. I might have overlooked the initial rape of Lessa when they were caught up in the dragons’ passion and didn’t have their heads on straight. But he kept doing it! And yet I got the impression that the reader was expected to respect his character. What the hell? And he shook her so much (not in a sexual context) that I guess her brains fell out, based on her behavior. Then Lessa apparently fell in love with him anyway. Rape ‘em and shake ‘em ‘til they love you, I guess. I also grew exasperated with all the time travel paradoxes. This paragraph may have more cuss words in it (all 3 of them) than I’ve used in my previous reviews for the year combined. This is indicative of much annoyance. :p

Some elements reminded me of Naomi Novik’s Temeraire series, so I couldn’t help comparing the two. I much preferred Temeraire, where I adored the characters and felt more invested in the story. It’s possible that I might have felt differently if I’d read them in the opposite order, and I may have done better with this in print than I did in audio. It’s also possible that I just wasn’t in the right mood for it.

I was going to give it 2.5 stars and round up to 3 on Goodreads, but somewhere in the middle of typing up my rant I decided to round down to 2 instead. I don’t think I’ve ever rated an epic fantasy-ish book this low before. I might consider giving it another try in print someday to see if I like it better that way, but not for quite a long time. ( )
1 vote YouKneeK | Sep 30, 2021 |

Porter, Bobsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, Bobsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dear God,
Yes, there is a Virginia who helped me create this planet and the marvels theron. And for whom I thank you.
AMJ
Lessa woke, cold.
When is a legend legend? (Introduction)
Dragonmen must fly when threads are in the sky.

A story in which

a brave girl and her dragon

save their world from Thread.

(Rozax)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,579,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible