Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Recently added bySteven-Dierks, MrAgingNova, wscott2, eloquinn, rena75, claymichaels, private library, KerriCanner
    His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik (Rozax)
    Rozax: Both Novik and McCaffrey take great care in developing the worlds for their respective series. If you like one, you may very well like the other.
    Dragon's Blood by Jane Yolen (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Bonds with dragons in science-fictional societies- I read these two series in my early teen years and they are inextricably intertwined in my memory.
    Forty Thousand in Gehenna (Alliance-Union Universe) by C. J. Cherryh (Aquila)
    Aquila: Another excellent book about an abandoned colony forming symbiotic relationships with alien dragons ;-)
    Joust by Mercedes Lackey (geophile)
    Damia by Anne McCaffrey (raq929)
    Arrows of the Queen by Mercedes Lackey (amanda4242, ktoonen)
    ktoonen: Magical creatures paired telepathically with human youths (dragons versus horses/Companions), with similar feminist tones.
    Archangel (Samaria, Book 1) by Sharon Shinn (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: They both have a fascinating fantasy world setting with some parallels (weyrs/dragons vs aeries/angels) and important traditions that have been forgotten and must be renewed. They also both have a duty-driven hero, a strong, resourceful heroine who begins the story as a servant but was not born to that life. Even the nature of the romance, which is something like "arranged" is similar between the stories.… (more)
    The Memory of Earth by Orson Scott Card (gtfernandezm)
    gtfernandezm: Lost World setting in which simplicity has been used to avoid the past failings of humanity. Similar use of sci-fi tools, similar characterization, straightforward yet not overly simple.
    Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: Both epic series feature a young but clever leader, his intrepid female "partner in crime", great world-building, and -- oh yeah! Dragons!

Fun, well-written, action-driven story, the first about friendly dragons and their unique bond with their riders. Good characters, too, although I found the women's role dated. Still, they come through as kick-ass, even if they have to defy males all along. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
short review: The gender roles in this book are especially grating because of the main characters' relationship. Most of the plot revolves around natural disaster response logistics. The general world set-up is interesting and so I want to read #9 in the series that has a collection of short stories about the planet and dragon origins. I am less interested in reading more about the protagonists of this story, but I will just because I'm going something interesting will happen.

longer review: I first read WeyrSearch as a teenager in the Dragon Lovers Treasury of the Fantastic. I immediately put the Pern series on my list, but never got to reading them. I read Crystal Singer and other books instead. Now, fifteen to twenty years later I've finally read the first book in this trilogy books that I've bought in super sale. I wish I'd read it when I was younger, I think I would have enjoyed it more.

I appreciate that the story is from the mid-late 1960s, so I think there are a lot of creative and successful elements combining science fiction and dragons with medieval type environments. I think the strong objectification and dismissal of women in the story is a product of the 60s and not of the medieval setting. Given that it's fantasy and fiction and the future, there is no reason to have fictional women treated this way. The male characters are always evaluating the women and arguing with them and thinking about their sexual relationships. It doesn't help the story and actually ends up being distracting. It's great that the women are allowed sexual agency, but they are still primarily valued for their bodies and rarely described as intelligent or brave or for other qualities.

At one particularly disturbing part of the book, this takes up maybe a page or two, the main character wonders if he raped the main female character. it's wholly unnecessary and highlights a very weird relationship between the two main characters that is motivated by the nature of the animalistic relationship of the paired dragons. It's not clear what the female character protagonist thinks of the encounter was we never get her perspective, but the male character definitely should have backed off or engaged in some kind of an adult conversation.

I think someone else's review of a different book in the series stated that Anne Mccaffery is obsessed with logistics and I think that the story did have a lot of logistics as well as some action. I personally don't care too much for action scenes and logistics can be interesting but I just found it written somewhat confusing or uninterestingly in this story.

Overall I like that the book didn't have a lot of very detailed descriptions. I find that those take me out of the story. I felt that the characters were sufficiently well-developed; I understood their motivations and their histories and they had personalities. I didn't like that the main female character was mostly defined by how she's "not like other women" but that's a product of the past 30 to 50 years and I'm glad that we as a society are starting to get to a new generation of how women can be defined. The dragons and the dragon lore were captivating and the highlight of the story. I liked that there wasn't a super villian to motivate the whole story. But I felt that it was too long towards the end. ( )
  CassandraT | Sep 23, 2018 |
Rereading the Pern series as an adult, it's both surprisingly feminist and a little bit rapey. :/

But I like that Lessa isn't that relatable. I like that she's angry, that she's traumatized, that she makes mistakes -- that she's flawed. I like that her relationship with F'lar is complex, even if the ways it's complex seem unhealthy. I like that she's allowed -- both by the story and by the author -- to be a hero. Even if that's undermined in a lot of ways.

I don't even begin to understand Pern's weird gender issues, but in some ways the entire setting feels to me now like an allegory for the male-dominated SF world in which McCaffrey was writing. The dragonriders, hyper-masculine as they are, seem almost to be caricaturing traditional, Golden Age SF, and I find it very interesting that thus far (Dragonflight and the Harper Hall trilogy), McCaffrey's Strong Female Characters have all been invested in, to some extent, overthrowing those patriarchal traditions in order to make the place in the world where they belong, where they can follow their passions.

What's not so good is the way in which both Menolly and Lessa are set up as extraordinary, as "not like other women". But, hey, this book was written in 1968. ( )
  wirehead | Sep 3, 2018 |
After re-reading this in book form rather than listening, I increase my rating to 5 stars. Loved it! ( )
  Catsysta | Aug 5, 2018 |
So the 5 decades haven't been entirely kind to this novel. The hyper male behavior of F'lar and all his shaking of our heroine Lessa was probably at least partially to place the book further away from the Mary Sue of Restoree and expand the readership among men. The plot is still good and the flow works and there are still amusing moments. However, the decline of crafts in the 400 years free of threadfall is entirely inexplicable and unexplained and that there was no population explosion when resources weren't eaten up supporting dragons and fighting is also just given. ( )
  quondame | Jun 30, 2018 |

Anne McCaffreyprimary authorall editionscalculated
D'Achille,GinoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
DiTerlizzi, TonyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pennington, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dear God,
Yes, there is a Virginia who helped me create this planet and the marvels theron. And for whom I thank you.
AMJ
Lessa woke, cold.
When is a legend legend? (Introduction)

A story in which

a brave girl and her dragon

save their world from Thread.

(Rozax)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345335465, Mass Market Paperback)

HOW CAN ONE GIRL SAVE AN ENTIRE WORLD?

To the nobles who live in Benden Weyr, Lessa is nothing but a ragged kitchen girl. For most of her life she has survived by serving those who betrayed her father and took over his lands. Now the time has come for Lessa to shed her disguise—and take back her stolen birthright.

But everything changes when she meets a queen dragon. The bond they share will be deep and last forever. It will protect them when, for the first time in centuries, Lessa’s world is threatened by Thread, an evil substance that falls like rain and destroys everything it touches. Dragons and their Riders once protected the planet from Thread, but there are very few of them left these days. Now brave Lessa must risk her life, and the life of her beloved dragon, to save her beautiful world. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:33 -0400)

One of the author's early Dragonrider adventures, set on the planet Pern, where deadly "thread" falls from the sky and puts all living creatures at risk. The symbiotic relationship of dragon and rider is the planet's only hope for survival. Dragonflight is the story of Lessa, the last of the noble bloodline of Ruatha Hold. The dragonriders rescue her from servitude while searching for likely candidates to impress the new dragon queen. Lessa is successful at imprinting Ramoth, the new queen, which makes her the leader of the Weyr and the mate of F'lar. As rider of the bronze dragon Mnementh, he is most suitable to lead the on-going struggle against the dreaded thread.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,156,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible