Dragonflight (1968)

by Anne McCaffrey

Series: Dragonriders of Pern: original trilogy (1), Pern (8th Interval - 9th pass)

To the nobles who live in Benden Weyr, Lessa is nothing but a ragged kitchen girl. For most of her life she has survived by serving those who betrayed her father and took over his lands. Now the time has come for Lessa to shed her disguise--and take back her stolen birthright. But everything changes when she meets a queen dragon. The bond they share will be deep and last forever. It will protect them when, for the first time in centuries, Lessa's world is threatened by Thread, an evil substance that falls like rain and destroys everything it touches. Dragons and their Riders once protected the planet from Thread, but there are very few of them left these days. Now brave Lessa must risk her life, and the life of her beloved dragon, to save her beautiful world.… (more)
Recently added byJoycepmatthews, Arafyn, Erina42, Jthierer, 100sheets, private library, rloks, Jimbookbuff1963
    His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik (justjukka)
    justjukka: Both Novik and McCaffrey take great care in developing the worlds for their respective series. If you like one, you may very well like the other.
    Joust by Mercedes Lackey (geophile)
    Damia by Anne McCaffrey (raq929)
    Dragon's Blood by Jane Yolen (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Bonds with dragons in science-fictional societies- I read these two series in my early teen years and they are inextricably intertwined in my memory.
    Forty Thousand in Gehenna by C. J. Cherryh (Aquila)
    Aquila: Another excellent book about an abandoned colony forming symbiotic relationships with alien dragons ;-)
    Arrows of the Queen by Mercedes Lackey (amanda4242, ktoonen)
    ktoonen: Magical creatures paired telepathically with human youths (dragons versus horses/Companions), with similar feminist tones.
    Archangel by Sharon Shinn (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: They both have a fascinating fantasy world setting with some parallels (weyrs/dragons vs aeries/angels) and important traditions that have been forgotten and must be renewed. They also both have a duty-driven hero, a strong, resourceful heroine who begins the story as a servant but was not born to that life. Even the nature of the romance, which is something like "arranged" is similar between the stories.… (more)
    The Elvenbane by Andre Norton (Cloverlimes)
    Cloverlimes: Common themes of telepathy, dragons, and revolution.
    Thursdays with the Crown by Jessica Day George (humouress)
    humouress: Although the [Castle Glower] series is aimed at a younger audience, it also deals with the issues and the wonder of bonding with a mythical creature.
    Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: Both epic series feature a young but clever leader, his intrepid female "partner in crime", great world-building, and -- oh yeah! Dragons!
    The Memory of Earth by Orson Scott Card (aulandez)
    aulandez: Lost World setting in which simplicity has been used to avoid the past failings of humanity. Similar use of sci-fi tools, similar characterization, straightforward yet not overly simple.

This was a book I read many, many moons ago. I remembered little more than dragons and good will. I should have left it at that. Dragonflight features one massive (and I mean massive) issue.

Anne McCaffrey backs Pern into a jam hundreds of years in the making and there is no way out other than magically fixing everything with.... time travel. It is Tolkien's eagles on crack. I can count on one hand the number of times time travel has been used to great effect. This goes in the bigger pile.

You could go into how she also handles sex (one character even mentions it felt like rape!) and how Lessa waffles between a brilliant schemer to a whiner to a risk taker to a whiner.

But I digress. It has dragons. They breath flame. They kick Thread ass, whatever that is. ( )
  illmunkeys | Apr 22, 2021 |
Awesome book. I'm so glad I finally read it. Will definitely read the whole trilogy and maybe more... ( )
  RankkaApina | Feb 22, 2021 |
Three stars for the nostalgia of reading it as a child. But I don’t remember F’lar being such a manipulative, misogynistic prick which was distressing.

And I think the Temeraire series is a better dragons and stuff series ( )
  mjhunt | Jan 22, 2021 |
This was fine, neither really marvelous nor a dud. I read it aloud to my wife and son, who had both already read it but who were keen to hear the story again. ( )
  dllh | Jan 6, 2021 |
This was one of my earliest forays into science fiction, and I stuck with McCaffrey's work for a long time until I realized that there was better stuff out there. ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |

Porter, Bobsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, Bobsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dear God,
Yes, there is a Virginia who helped me create this planet and the marvels theron. And for whom I thank you.
AMJ
Lessa woke, cold.
When is a legend legend? (Introduction)
Dragonmen must fly when threads are in the sky.

A story in which

a brave girl and her dragon

save their world from Thread.

(Rozax)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,840,682 books! | Top bar: Always visible