Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
7,153120798 (3.89)294
    His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik (Rozax)
    Rozax: Both Novik and McCaffrey take great care in developing the worlds for their respective series. If you like one, you may very well like the other.
    Dragon's Blood by Jane Yolen (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Bonds with dragons in science-fictional societies- I read these two series in my early teen years and they are inextricably intertwined in my memory.
    Forty Thousand in Gehenna (Alliance-Union Universe) by C. J. Cherryh (Aquila)
    Aquila: Another excellent book about an abandoned colony forming symbiotic relationships with alien dragons ;-)
    Joust by Mercedes Lackey (geophile)
    Damia by Anne McCaffrey (raq929)
    Arrows of the Queen by Mercedes Lackey (amanda4242, ktoonen)
    ktoonen: Magical creatures paired telepathically with human youths (dragons versus horses/Companions), with similar feminist tones.
    Archangel by Sharon Shinn (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: They both have a fascinating fantasy world setting with some parallels (weyrs/dragons vs aeries/angels) and important traditions that have been forgotten and must be renewed. They also both have a duty-driven hero, a strong, resourceful heroine who begins the story as a servant but was not born to that life. Even the nature of the romance, which is something like "arranged" is similar between the stories.… (more)
    The Memory of Earth by Orson Scott Card (aulandez)
    aulandez: Lost World setting in which simplicity has been used to avoid the past failings of humanity. Similar use of sci-fi tools, similar characterization, straightforward yet not overly simple.
    Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: Both epic series feature a young but clever leader, his intrepid female "partner in crime", great world-building, and -- oh yeah! Dragons!

This book is the first published in a very long and popular series. Although it was certainly written without the expectation that it would launch an enormous best-selling series, that's what happened, and it makes no sense to judge the book outside the context of that series.

It was published in the '60s. The protagonist and main POV character is a woman, Lessa, but the book itself is deeply sexist, due the conventions of the time in which it was published. Many of the cover illustrations feature a semi-naked and voluptuous woman riding a large dragon: this doesn't really fit the plot and descriptions, but is nonetheless true to the spirit of the book.

The best part of the novel is the early part, before Lessa is discovered and taken away. Her bizarre life, disguising her true identity from those who would happily kill her, and trusting only a half-senile and marginally intelligent beast, is exciting in a fantasy/mediaeval way.

What gives this book greater interest than it ought to have is the knowedge, that, due to novelistic economy and the progress of the series, numerous minor characters or virtual nonentities in the book will emerge as major characters in subsequent books in the series.

The science of the novels makes little sense, with "between" making the least sense of all, but very convenient for the plot. However, so long as you can accept between, it's fairly easy to accept the rest for the duration of the book. Note that there may be some science here: if the dragons can move faster than light, than they can also travel in time (somehow all this makes sense to theoretical physicists).

There's one really broken plot point when another character, F'lar is infuriated to find that Lessa has failed to inform him of a vital fact, a vital fact which his dragon, with whom he has a lifelong and intimate bond, has known all along. Sloppy and unnecessary, or possibly just sexist, since F'lar and his dragon are both male, but Lessa is female, and so naturally blameworthy? ( )
  themulhern | May 27, 2019 |
I liked the book enough. The characters are well developped, the setting has obviously been well and thoroughly thought out and the storyline unravels flawlessly. However, there's a "je ne sais quoi" that prevents me from just delving into the book. I wonder if my expectations (some sort of quest of great battles) were not the same as what the book has to offer. I've started reading the second book but I think it's a series I won't read in one go. ( )
  Sept | May 21, 2019 |
I'm counting this as a 2012 read even though I have read it at least 3 times before. I love this book and its sequels. I love the writing, the characters, and most of all, the dragons. And really, if you do not like it, that is fine with me, but I'm not sure we have much to talk about anymore. LOL (Just kidding. I do not require anyone like the same things as me. That would be boring.)
  ladypembroke | May 17, 2019 |
I love dragons so when someone mentioned the Dragonriders of Pern to me I quickly picked this book up. I was pleased to find that the dragons are not mean or bad. In fact they're good and they help protect the planet. It's an interesting start to a great series. A very quick read. ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |
middle-grade fantasy. definitely not dark ( )
  otkac001 | Jan 20, 2019 |

Porter, Bobsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, Bobsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dear God,
Yes, there is a Virginia who helped me create this planet and the marvels theron. And for whom I thank you.
AMJ
Lessa woke, cold.
When is a legend legend? (Introduction)

A story in which

a brave girl and her dragon

save their world from Thread.

(Rozax)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345335465, Mass Market Paperback)

HOW CAN ONE GIRL SAVE AN ENTIRE WORLD?

To the nobles who live in Benden Weyr, Lessa is nothing but a ragged kitchen girl. For most of her life she has survived by serving those who betrayed her father and took over his lands. Now the time has come for Lessa to shed her disguise—and take back her stolen birthright.

But everything changes when she meets a queen dragon. The bond they share will be deep and last forever. It will protect them when, for the first time in centuries, Lessa’s world is threatened by Thread, an evil substance that falls like rain and destroys everything it touches. Dragons and their Riders once protected the planet from Thread, but there are very few of them left these days. Now brave Lessa must risk her life, and the life of her beloved dragon, to save her beautiful world. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:33 -0400)

One of the author's early Dragonrider adventures, set on the planet Pern, where deadly "thread" falls from the sky and puts all living creatures at risk. The symbiotic relationship of dragon and rider is the planet's only hope for survival. Dragonflight is the story of Lessa, the last of the noble bloodline of Ruatha Hold. The dragonriders rescue her from servitude while searching for likely candidates to impress the new dragon queen. Lessa is successful at imprinting Ramoth, the new queen, which makes her the leader of the Weyr and the mate of F'lar. As rider of the bronze dragon Mnementh, he is most suitable to lead the on-going struggle against the dreaded thread.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,616,552 books! | Top bar: Always visible