Archangel (1996)

by Sharon Shinn

Series: Samaria Publication Order (1), Samaria Chronological Order (2)

Story about love, magic and honor.
    Beguilement by Lois McMaster Bujold (hoddybook)
    Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: They both have a fascinating fantasy world setting with some parallels (weyrs/dragons vs aeries/angels) and important traditions that have been forgotten and must be renewed. They also both have a duty-driven hero, a strong, resourceful heroine who begins the story as a servant but was not born to that life. Even the nature of the romance, which is something like "arranged" is similar between the stories.… (more)
    Courtship Rite by Donald Kingsbury (MyriadBooks)
    Local Custom by Sharon Lee (hoddybook)
    Armageddon Summer by Jane Yolen (FFortuna)
    The Ruins of Ambrai by Melanie Rawn (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Romance in a pre-industrial fantasy setting. Interesting world-building. Power-plays, good-guys - bad-guys. Hints of science fiction underpinning the fantasy.
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (crazybatcow)

This novel takes place on an "ideal" planet. The religion is monotheist, with a hiarchy of angels who intercede for the people. The land is called
Samaria, the god is Jehovah or Yovah. The people have come to the time of crowning a new Archangel. His name is Gabriel, and he has been commanded by the god to marry a mortal woman named Rachael. First, however, he must find her. She has been a slave for five years and is not at all interested in becoming Angelica. ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |
After seeing this book at a used book store a year ago, it was in my mind to read it. Finally, I got it from the library and read it. It's an odd book. It appears to be fantasy at first glance - it's about a world of angels and men, living on what appears to be earth, with many of the place names and people's names straight from the Bible. Everyone worships Jovah. There is really no technology, so people live as you might expect people to live in the middle ages.

There's something strange, though. A few whispers of some type of computer technology. Plus, my paperback copy says "a stunningly beautiful novel of a distant future" which clues me in that this might be science fiction rather than straight fantasy.

Okay, but who exactly is this Jovah that they worship? A God or something technological?

I was waiting to read the second book to find out the answers. Unfortunately, there's a big spoiler on the front page of my paperback explaining the back story. No! Don't do that! If I had a first edition, that spoiler wouldn't exist. At least I didn't read it until after I finished the book.

So, yes, I may read the second book anyway. I find this world intriguing and would like to know more about the interaction of the god, the angels, and mankind. ( )
  Chica3000 | Dec 11, 2020 |
my copy of this book is worn and well-loved, because it's one of my favourite fantasy novels of all time. coming back and reading it again is like revisiting one of my oldest, best friends. the mystery within intrigued me throughout the entire book, and was ultimately very satisfying. and oh, rachel. truly a delightful book. ( )
  kickthebeat | Nov 1, 2020 |
brb going to the library to get all the other books in this series. ( )
  Menshevixen | Oct 13, 2020 |
I usually love Shinn's gentle love stories, but this had way more purpose than her usual tales. Her characters, as always, were great, but I didn't feel totally drawn into her world. I'll probably read the rest of the series because I'm intrigued by the premise. ( )
  JenniferElizabeth2 | Aug 25, 2020 |

Sharon Shinnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my aunt, Mary Krewson
The angel Gabriel went to the oracle on Mount Sinai, looking for a wife.

Story about love, magic and honor.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,194,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible