Courtship Rite by Donald Kingsbury

Courtship Rite (1982)

by Donald Kingsbury

383842,422 (3.82)1 / 16

English (7)  Italian (1)  All languages (8)
I love this book. It isn't perfect, but I find it very appealing and have read it at least 3x before 2008. My copy is falling apart but I'm keeping it. ( )
  quondame | Dec 7, 2017 |
Decent, but not great. I definitely enjoyed it when I read it, but over time the details have faded, which means it was not memorable. I also haven't had an urge to re-read it, which puts it in the middle of the pack of science fiction novels for me. Its not bad, it was actually an interesting book, just not as memorable as truly classic science fiction. ( )
  Karlstar | Jan 16, 2012 |
Courtship Rite takes place on a human colony world, Geta, that has forgotten it is a colony. Their legends tell them "God" brought them across the stars to protect them from "war", and "God" still watches over them from the sky. We learn later that their word for "God" was the original colonists word for "ship", and the colony ship does indeed still orbit above them.
The only source of protein the colonists have are bees and human flesh, so cannibalism is common and accepted. They also practice genetic engineering.
The story follows one family of three half brothers and their wives. The men share a common father and were raised in a public creche where any failure would result in death. They married a young girl from a clan that specializes in math and a spoiled rich girl of their own clan. Their clan specializes in government. They are about to marry a scientist when they are ordered by their clan leader to marry a woman from a coastal clan who advocates heretical beliefs, such as evolution and not killing people for food. They decide to use the "Courtship Rite", where they try to kill her several times and if she lives they will marry her. Since she doesn't know them or want to marry them this is bit unfair to her, but they were a angry about the order and it is the central motivation of the plot.
They also have to deal with a clan of clone women who make their living as courtesans, and clan of seafarers who want to rule the coastal area.
This is my favorite kind of Science Fiction: religion, politics, social engineering, and philosophy. By an author who does it all very well. I give it 5 out of 5 stars ( )
1 vote sheherazahde | Feb 26, 2009 |
I don't remember how I got this (Dutch version of this) book, but I do remember I must have read it at least four times now. The astonishing world of Geta with it's insect-like social structure grabs me every time. ( )
  DiTo | Nov 7, 2008 |
What I like best about this novel was how well the author set up his world and the consistencey of the details.
To survive the harsh planet Geta, insect DNA was mixed into the human stock generations ago and while the people appear wholly human, evidence of their insect biology slowly reveals itself in surprising ways in personality and societal structure. Great read! Recommended by Kirkus, Publishers Weekly and me :-)

(And don't worry, guys, no one important gets eaten :-) ( )
1 vote PitcherBooks | May 13, 2008 |
Op de planeet Geta bestaat een gelegaliseerd kannibalisme. In een tijd van snel vorderende wetenschappen, een erfenis uit vroegere tijden toen de Zwijgende God het volk op de planeet heeft afgezet, kampen de Clans verbeten om de heerschappij. De familie Maran-Kaiel wil daartoe een huwelijk tot stand brengen met een ketterse priesteres. Donald Kingskury mag dan ook op fantasy-gebied een nieuwe naam zijn in het Nederlands taalgebied, toch heeft hij met Communiteiten een voltreffer van zeldzame kwaliteit gescoord. De fantasy wordt hier opgetild tot het niveau van de literaire allegorie. In een statige taal, die toch helemaal niet bombastisch aandoet, stelt de schrijver ons zeer opmerkelijke personages voor, zowel vrouwelijke als mannelijke, in een even opmerkelijke wereld. Communiteiten wordt zondermeer een klassieker in het genre, en een fel gewaardeerde roman daarbuiten. Verzorgd uitgegeven en goed vertaald.

(NBD|Biblion recensie, Bob van Laerhoven)
added by karnoefel | editNBD / Biblion

Donald Kingsburyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Morrill, RowenaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prime Predictor Tae ran-Kaiel was long dead but he lived in the bellies of his aggressive progeny.
"Geta" is the British title edition of the same book as the American edition titled "Courtship Rite"

On the planet Geta, the only food is man.
And one powerful family, the maran-Kaiel, must make an ambitious marriage with a beautiful, heretical priestess.

Courted, the priestess can only prove her worth in the Ritual of Death. Courting, the three brothers and two wives of Kaiel fight to survive in a harsh civilization.
The long-silent Sky God has begun to speak. the Priestess and her suitors are swept into the violently unfolding destiny of a dark and ancient past!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,549,997 books! | Top bar: Always visible