His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik

His Majesty's Dragon

by Naomi Novik

Series: Temeraire (1)

6,033306984 (4.07)2 / 571
    Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian (lorax)
    lorax: The Napoleonic Wars, just with no dragons. Better-written than Hornblower and with much stronger characterization.
    Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey (Rozax)
    Rozax: Both Novik and McCaffrey take great care in developing the worlds for their respective series. If you like one, you may very well like the other.
    Mr. Midshipman Hornblower by C. S. Forester (DWWilkin)
    DWWilkin: If you like the time period, no better way to start then with the first popular series about Age of Sail
    Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld (PghDragonMan, Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both are alternate history/fantasy novels with a distinct nautical flair. His Majesty's Dragon is set during the Napoleonic Wars - just with dragons (obviously) as a sort of Air Navy - complete with crew. Leviathan is set during an alternate WWI between the Darwinists (who have living ships & weapons) and the Clankers (who use machines).… (more)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell: A Novel by Susanna Clarke (ErlendSkjelten)
    ErlendSkjelten: Much heavier fare than Temeraire, but all the more enjoyable for it. The Napoleonic wars, with magicians instead of dragons.
    Airborn by Kenneth Oppel (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another interesting and well written historical fantasy.
    Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman (notemily)
    notemily: DRAGONS!
    The Dragon and the George by Gordon R. Dickson (infiniteletters)
    A Natural History of Dragons: A Memoir by Lady Trent by Marie Brennan (TomWaitsTables)
    Dragonhaven by Robin McKinley (infiniteletters)
    Opening Atlantis by Harry Turtledove (PghDragonMan)
    Midshipwizard Halcyon Blithe by James M. Ward (amysisson)
    amysisson: In this case, the dragon *is* the ship, and the main character is younger and less experienced, but otherwise they have a similar feel....
    Lord of the Changing Winds by Rachel Neumeier (noneofthis)
    The Dragon and the Thief by Gillian Bradshaw (TomWaitsTables)
    Elephant Company: The Inspiring Story of an Unlikely Hero and the Animals Who Helped Him Save Lives in World War II by Vicki Croke (2wonderY)
    2wonderY: This is a real life story of a man whose all encompassing relationship with elephants, one in particular, echo that between Laurence and Temeraire.
    Sorcery and Cecelia, or, The Enchanted Chocolate Pot by Patricia C. Wrede (carlyrose)
    carlyrose: A bit lighter and for perhaps a younger audience, but also an alternate history dealing with the Napoleonic Wars.
    The Fire Rose by Mercedes Lackey (FFortuna)
    Cast in Shadow by Michelle Sagara (leahsimone)
    Dragon Companion by Don Callander (infiniteletters)
    Dragon Keeper by Robin Hobb (KimarieBee)

English (300)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (306)
I loved Uprooted, it might have been my favourite book that year. But this earlier novel failed to engage me, and I stopped halfway through. I know it has a huge fanbase, so there's every chance another reader we find it delightful--but it likely hit on too many elements that aren't my cup of tea (battles, pets that aren't really pets, military life), and I realised I didn't give two hoots about any of the characters, so that's that for that--life's too short. But she's a terrific writer--given a different subject, there's every chance I will love her again. Meanwhile I can reread Uprooted!

(Note: 5 stars = amazing, wonderful, 4 = very good book, 3 = decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful. I'm fairly good at picking for myself so end up with a lot of 4s). ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Sep 19, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this book by Naomi Novik. It is very much a fantasy series that follows a main character and his military endeavors but a captain of a dragon rather than an army of soldiers (or at least what we'd imagine as the 'typical' military situation). I found myself loving Temeraire no differently than any other character in a book with a beloved animal companion. I started to read through the second one but never picked it back up. I'd like to revisit this series again and work my way through it a bit further. ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 1, 2018 |
This is the first book in the Temeraire series, there are nine books in this series. I really enjoyed this book a lot. I loved the dragons and the characters and the alternate history in here. The book was very well written and incredibly fun as well.

I listened to this on audiobook and really enjoyed Vance’s narration. He does a great job with character narration and voices. I would definitely recommend listening to this on audiobook if you enjoy audiobooks.

This book has a lot of action but what really makes the story are the characters of Laurence and Temeraire. Laurence is such a respectable sea captain and harnessing Temeraire changes everything about his life. However, I love how Laurence takes everything in stead and does his best for Temeraire. I absolutely adored Temeraire, he’s just such a lovable dragon. Temeraire is intelligent, sensitive, and just amazing. Temeraire really made the book for me.

The side characters are well done also. Additionally, the alternate history setting was very interesting. We get a good look at this alternate world and the wars that drive it. Most of the book focuses on Temeraire and Laurence and their training, but they do get drawn into combat as well.

The story ends at a good point but hints at more interesting plot elements to come. This is a book I am considering reading with my middle schooler. There is a small part where Laurence has to explain the concept of whores to Temeraire but aside from that it is a read that is pretty friendly to pre-teens and older.

Overall an amazing story that I really enjoyed a lot. I loved the characters and the alternate history setting. I would recommend to those who enjoy fantasies about dragons in historical settings. I definitely plan on continuing the series. ( )
  krau0098 | Jul 7, 2018 |
An enjoyable book, with a unique take on dragons as intelligent beasts who bond with their handlers to serve as beasts of war. It may sound familiar, but details and method of execution in the story make it something quite new in my experience of reading fantasy. The twist of setting the story within an ongoing war between forces of Britain and the French army as led by Napoleon is a lot of fun.

This is a fun read, and focused very tightly on the development of the relationship between the protagonist and the dragon whom he has harnessed. As such it is a splendid character piece, but there was a part of me that hungered for a more complex plot for these two to navigate. That being said, judging by the sample of the second book of the series that was included at the end of this volume, that wish may be fulfilled later in the series. ( )
  andrlik | Apr 24, 2018 |
I was not entirely sure what to expect from this book, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that I really enjoyed the read. This book mixes true events in history during the Napoleonic Wars with the idea that dragons not only existed, but were used as as an air force for both sides. The dragons themselves can speak and reason and are completely loyal to their captains. A very interesting take on things and one that I enjoyed as being original and exciting. Also, the narrative is written with a Dicken's-like realism thought made the read that much more authentic. I would recommend this book to pretty much anyone as a fun read. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |

Naomi Novikprimary authorall editionscalculated
Harman, DominicCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marquez, GayleIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valkonen, TeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Charles, sine qua non
The deck of the French ship was slippery with blood, heaving in the choppy sea; a stroke might as easily bring down the man making it as the intended target.
“I should rather have you than a heap of gold, even if it were very comfortable to sleep on.”

Published as "His Majesty's Dragon" in the United States and "Temeraire" in the United Kingdom.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345481283, Mass Market Paperback)

Aerial combat brings a thrilling new dimension to the Napoleonic Wars as valiant warriors rise to Britain’s defense by taking to the skies . . . not aboard aircraft but atop the mighty backs of fighting dragons.

When HMS Reliant captures a French frigate and seizes its precious cargo, an unhatched dragon egg, fate sweeps Capt. Will Laurence from his seafaring life into an uncertain future–and an unexpected kinship with a most extraordinary creature. Thrust into the rarified world of the Aerial Corps as master of the dragon Temeraire, he will face a crash course in the daring tactics of airborne battle. For as France’s own dragon-borne forces rally to breach British soil in Bonaparte’s boldest gambit, Laurence and Temeraire must soar into their own baptism of fire.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:41 -0400)

Lexile: 1030; AR: 8.1.

Naomi Novik is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,953,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible