The Dragon and the George by Gordon R.…

The Dragon and the George (1976)

by Gordon R. Dickson

Series: Dragon Knight (1)

Recently added byspicymike, R2MYD2, jvfran2, private library, xLucix, Jim.Stein, CindyBooks, DavidClemens, Dvdvnr
    Another Fine Myth by Robert Asprin (aces)
    Magic Kingdom For Sale—SOLD! by Terry Brooks (wolfjack)
    wolfjack: I believe anyone who enjoys a light read involving those of our world entering a fantasy land of magic and battle will also love this book.
    The Last Dragonlord by Joanne Bertin (ElementalDragon)
    The Flight of Dragons by Peter Dickinson (aces)
    First Truth by Dawn Cook (infiniteletters)
    Operation Chaos by Poul Anderson (Z-Ryan)

well written adventure - likable characters - some personal development - ok world building with plenty of room for more if needed - good moral - the title doesn't make a must-read but is significantly better than the average adventure
overall will read more by author ( )
  jason9292 | Jan 17, 2018 |
Another blast from my past. I remembered laughing as I read it years ago; I laughed again. And yet, there were things to think about: what is honor, what is bravery, what is the right thing to do. I loved these thoughts more than my younger self did. What is clear is it is an excellent fantasy that has held up well.

If you like fantasy and haven't read this, go forth, find a copy, and read it now! ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Dec 31, 2017 |
im's got problems. Anger problems, money problems and a problem with his girlfriend's boss carrying a torch for her. And through it all, he's willing to do anything for Angela- even travel for a potation device.

When Angie's late getting off work, Jim charges in to the lab to watch her vanish before his eyes! Ready to attack her boss, he finds out he can reach out to her and hypnotize her to bring her home. But things don't go quite right. Especially when Jim arrives... not in the way he was supposed to!

The Dragon and The George, by Gordon R. Dickinson, is a hilarious tale of a man on a journey to save the girl. Not at all cliché, the story is all fantasy that rubs against your funny bone and you can't help but laugh throughout the book.

*For the full review, please visit: http://bit.ly/DragonandGeorgeThe Dragon and The George

Gordon R. Dickinson
Nelson Doubleday
1976 ( )
  AReneeHunt | Sep 7, 2017 |
I actually read a scanned copy on my ereader.

This reminded me, a lot, of the Guardians of the Flame series by Joel Rosenburg. But this was SO much better.
We only have to deal with 1 coward/douchebag and by the end he's not a douchebag anymore, just a dummie.[unlike the Guardian series, where there is a group and they are still pretty much complete jerks even after several books]

This was a nice fun read that went quickly and gave me an hours enjoyment. I have high hopes that the rest of the series will be as fun. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I enjoyed this greatly. The basic premise is one you see a lot in fantasy fiction--Jim Eckert, a present-day man of our world, is transported into a magical medieval world of talking beasts and monsters. That's similar in premise to a book of Poul Anderson's I recently reread, Three Hearts and Three Dragons, and indeed Dickson tips his hat to that in his dedication to "Bela of Eastmarch"--which was Anderson's moniker in the Society for Creative Anachronism. The twist here though is that Jim finds his consciousness in a dragon's body. This is even more light-hearted than Three Hearts and Three Lions and funnier--particularly when Jim finds himself overwhelmed by dragonly appetites for gold and food. I also liked and cared more for the characters in this book--Jim, Sir Brian, Aragh the talking wolf... Nothing to deep her, no, but this was a blast to read and I often found myself with a grin on my face as I read. My one caveat is that, at least in the paperback edition I read, there were a lot of errors, particularly the wrong character being named in dialogue tags. Nevertheless, it was enjoyable enough I may look up the rest in the series, or at least more of Gordon Dickson. ( )
1 vote LisaMaria_C | Jul 24, 2013 |

Gordon R. Dicksonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Salwowski, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vallejo, BorrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thys boke ys for Bela of Eastmarch, Who hath in hys own time known a dragon or two
At 10:30 a.m., sharp, James Eckert pulled up in front of Stoddard Hall on the Riveroak College campus, where Grottwold Weinar Hansen had his lab.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345350502, Mass Market Paperback)

Through no fault of his own, the once human Jim Eckert had become a dragon. Unfortunately, his beloved Angie had remained human. But in this magical land anything could happen. To make matter worse, Angie had been taken prisoner by an evil dragon and was held captive in the impenetrable Loathly Tower. So in this land where humans were edible and beasts were magical--where spells worked and logic didn't--Jim Eckert had a big, strange problem.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:18 -0400)

Through no fault of his own, the once human Jim Eckert had become a dragon. Unfortunately, his beloved Angie had remained human. But in this magical land anything could happen. To make matter worse, Angie had been taken prisoner by an evil dragon and was held captive in the impenetrable Loathly Tower. So in this land where humans were edible and beasts were magical?where spells worked and logic didn't?Jim Eckert had a big, strange problem.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,441,020 books! | Top bar: Always visible