HomeGroupsTalkExplore

The Lost Hero

by Rick Riordan

Series: The Heroes of Olympus (1), Camp Half-Blood (6), Riordan's Demi-Gods (2.1)

Jason, Piper, and Leo, three students from a school for "bad kids," find themselves at Camp Half-Blood, where they learn that they are demigods and begin a quest to free Hera, who has been imprisoned by Mother Earth herself.
    The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: Riordan works his mythology magic again, but this time with the Egyptian gods and myths.
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (cyderry)
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini (hermionewannabe)
    hermionewannabe: If you enjoy fantasy works than you will love the Eragon series.
    So This Is How It Ends by Tui T. Sutherland (Sammelsurium)

English (317)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  All (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (323)
JASON HAS A PROBLEM. He doesn’t remember anything before waking up in a bus full of kids on a field trip. Apparently he has a girlfriend named Piper, and his best friend is a guy named Leo. They’re all students at the Wilderness School, a boarding school for “bad kids," as Leo puts it. What did Jason do to end up here? And where is here, exactly? Jason doesn't know anything—except that everything seems very wrong.

PIPER HAS A SECRET. Her father has been missing for three days, ever since she had that terrifying nightmare about his being in trouble. Piper doesn’t understand her dream, or why her boyfriend suddenly doesn’t recognize her. When a freak storm hits during the school trip, unleashing strange creatures and whisking her, Jason, and Leo away to someplace called Camp Half-Blood, she has a feeling she’s going to find out, whether she wants to or not.

LEO HAS A WAY WITH TOOLS. When he sees his cabin at Camp Half-Blood, filled with power tools and machine parts, he feels right at home. But there’s weird stuff, too—like the curse everyone keeps talking about, and some camper who's gone missing. Weirdest of all, his bunkmates insist that each of them—including Leo—is related to a god. Does this have anything to do with Jason's amnesia, or the fact that Leo keeps seeing ghosts?
  rachelprice14 | Nov 14, 2022 |
The story follows Jason Grace, a Roman demigod with no memory of his past. He, along with Piper McLean, a daughter of Aphrodite, and Leo Valdez, a son of Hephaestus, are given a quest to rescue Hera, the queen of gods, from the clutches of Gaea, the primordial goddess of the earth. ( )
  SamCanuelas | Oct 24, 2022 |
I think I'm really just getting burnt out on middle grade/younger YA writing cuz this book took me a lot longer to read than it would normally. I still enjoyed revisiting the characters, and I'm honestly surprised by how much stuff I'd forgotten from it. Really excited to finally get back to Percy in the next book, but I'll have to spend some time reading some other things before I can really be ready for that. ( )
  midnacine | Sep 17, 2022 |
The POV switches don't work well for me. Too many people.
I do not really dislike the book, just not particularly thrilled. Mixed feelings.

Maybe it's just me, but Jason induces my homicidal tendencies. Really not sure I spotted him having flaws. Was there one? Need to check.

Leo is okay. Love the guy, really.

Piper... Let's not go there, 'k? Self-hypnosis is so not attractive. And bringing people from the dead? Bet Hades loved that.

Also, Anabeth is Scary, like SCARY. ( )
  QuirkyCat_13 | Jun 20, 2022 |
3.5 stars....I admit that I like these books. I would recommend reading "The Lightening Thief" series first, just to get into the whole Half-Blood, demigod, mindset. I enjoyed the dual roles/identities of the god/goddesses in this book, showing the same character in their different Greek and Roman forms. Definitely set up for the next books in the series but completes the first quest in this book. I liked the new characters of Jason and Piper and Leo. It would have gotten 4 stars but I thought it could have been a little shorter. ( )
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |

Riordan, Rickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swanson, JoshuaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Haley and Patrick, always the first to hear stories. Without them, Camp Half-Blood would not exist.
Even before he got electrocuted, Jason was having a rotten day.
There are several books with this title by different authors.

Jason has a problem. He doesn’t remember anything before waking up in a bus full of kids on a field trip. Apparently he has a girlfriend named Piper and a best friend named Leo. They’re all students at a boarding school for “bad kids.” What did Jason do to end up here? And where is here, exactly?

Piper has a secret. Her father has been missing for three days, ever since she had that terrifying nightmare. Piper doesn’t understand her dream, or why her boyfriend suddenly doesn’t recognize her. When a freak storm hits, unleashing strange creatures and whisking her, Jason, and Leo away to someplace called Camp Half-Blood, she has a feeling she’s going to find out.

Leo has a way with tools. When he sees his cabin at Camp Half-Blood, filled with power tools and machine parts, he feels right at home. But there’s weird stuff, too—like the curse everyone keeps talking about. Weirdest of all, his bunkmates insist that each of them—including Leo—is related to a god.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141334010, 0141325496

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,941,251 books! | Top bar: Always visible