The Lost Hero

by Rick Riordan

Series: The Heroes of Olympus (1), Camp Half-Blood (6), Riordan's Demi-Gods (2.1)

Jason, Piper, and Leo, three students from a school for "bad kids," find themselves at Camp Half-Blood, where they learn that they are demigods and begin a quest to free Hera, who has been imprisoned by Mother Earth herself.
    The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: Riordan works his mythology magic again, but this time with the Egyptian gods and myths.
    Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling (cyderry)
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini (hermionewannabe)
    hermionewannabe: If you enjoy fantasy works than you will love the Eragon series.
    So This Is How It Ends by Tui T. Sutherland (Sammelsurium)

English (310)  French (2)  All (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (315)
I think this is one of my favorite books in the Heroes of Olympus series. It felt a little weird starting a new series with a familiar setting but unknown protagonists, but starting the books in this way after Percy Jackson and the Olympians was a good choice, and a successful one. I really love Jason, Piper, and Leo and their adventure is fun and interesting to read about. They have a weird starting point, since they know each other but not really, and then begin to find out about this world they have been thrown into while at the same time getting to properly know one another and bringing their own knowledge and talents to the table. The book moves around a lot but I felt like it all came together pretty well, and even though its significantly longer than the first book of the previous series I liked having the extra material and time to know the characters and there isnt really anything I would cut out. ( )
  mutantpudding | Dec 26, 2021 |
I loved this book. I have basically devoured Rick Riordan's books in the last week. Maybe last 2 weeks...something close to that. I read 2 of the Percy Jackson books in a day. They are wonderful. I love the way he uses myths. Greek, Egyptian, and now with this new series, Roman. I think, I'm not positive, but from this book, I think this series may be my favorite of his yet. Perhaps that's not a fair assumption, The Kane chronicles aren't done yet, and neither is this series, but it just feels like this will be incredibly epic. I think though, this really goes hand in hand with the Percy Jackson series. As much as I loved that (and I really, really did) its nice to stay in that world, yet meet new people. Percy is a great narrator, but we went with him, his story feels finished in the capacity that it was. From the way this novel ended, I doubt we have seen the last of him, but his role in the pervious novels is over and thats okay with me. I liked Jason, Piper and Leo. Each were interesting, and different characters. I have to say I think I like Leo and Piper a little bit better than Jason, but I don't dislike him by any means. I'm very excited to see what is to come. Waiting will be agony. ( )
  banrions | Dec 7, 2021 |
Idea- good. Enjoyable. A little frustrated that the characters weren't getting it. They had to be told 5 times each what it took me 2 times to get. Semi-cliff-hanger ending. Loved Leo. And I was pleased that there exists books for boys that are not filled with physical potty humor. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
I love Rick Riordan's writing style and The Heroes of Olympus series is my second favorite of all his series. I love mythology and he does a great job of bring any and all mytholgy to life in a fresh and new way. I find the characters to be engaging and to feel really real. I love how he weaves the mythology into modern times so you feel like you are learning something as you are being entertained. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
I'm writing this review after having just finished the third book of the "Heroes of Olympus" series. I have to say that this second series isn't as much to my liking as the first series "Percy J. and the Olympians." While there is still some clever give-and-take and the basic premise remains the same as the first books, each book in this series has chapters from several different characters perspectives. I think I preferred a single narrator (Percy). Percy also becomes more shallow in this series, possibly because he has less chance to say what he wants to say. I'm also getting tired of the repeated clashes with monsters. I understand that the heroes have to surmount obstacles, but it is starting to feel like it's simply a fight commentary with short timeouts for plot. ( )
  Jeff.Rosendahl | Sep 21, 2021 |

Riordan, Rickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swanson, JoshuaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Haley and Patrick, always the first to hear stories. Without them, Camp Half-Blood would not exist.
Even before he got electrocuted, Jason was having a rotten day.
There are several books with this title by different authors.

Jason has a problem. He doesn’t remember anything before waking up in a bus full of kids on a field trip. Apparently he has a girlfriend named Piper and a best friend named Leo. They’re all students at a boarding school for “bad kids.” What did Jason do to end up here? And where is here, exactly?

Piper has a secret. Her father has been missing for three days, ever since she had that terrifying nightmare. Piper doesn’t understand her dream, or why her boyfriend suddenly doesn’t recognize her. When a freak storm hits, unleashing strange creatures and whisking her, Jason, and Leo away to someplace called Camp Half-Blood, she has a feeling she’s going to find out.

Leo has a way with tools. When he sees his cabin at Camp Half-Blood, filled with power tools and machine parts, he feels right at home. But there’s weird stuff, too—like the curse everyone keeps talking about. Weirdest of all, his bunkmates insist that each of them—including Leo—is related to a god.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141334010, 0141325496

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,893,574 books! | Top bar: Always visible