Saga, Vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughan

Saga, Vol. 1

by Brian K. Vaughan, Fiona Staples (Illustrator)

Other authors: Fonografiks (Lettering + Design), Eric Stephenson (Coordinator)

Series: Saga (Vol. 1)

2,4261943,687 (4.3)181
    Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor (andomck)
    andomck: Told from the pov of a daughter growing up in a science fantasy world
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (andomck)
    andomck: Magic systems based on language . One is the secret names of things, the other is secrets itself.

English (192)  Dutch (1)  All languages (193)
I wrote a review on the first Saga volume on my blog as well: https://thelastbooklyhouse.wordpress.com/2017/11/22/book-review-saga-volume-one/

Plot:

It is rather difficult to properly summarise Saga, but in simple words it’s the story of Hazel and her friends and family as they try to survive certain situations and an out-right war. It seems simple, maybe, but there are so many storylines and characters in this book that sometimes I found myself getting a little lost in what exactly was happening. There is a lot to follow and with only the drawings and small pieces of text to guide the reader along, it is sometimes a bit of a trial to know what is going on in the story.

However, even though the story can be a little all over the place because it skips from character to character, there is a strength in it because it characters are so strong.

Characters:

We find ourselves with numeral main characters, of which the cast grows as the series goes on. The ones that are most important to the story are Marko and Alana. Two people from exact opposite worlds end up falling in love and by doing so will create a chain of events that neither of them ever expected to happen.

The characters in Saga are so well thought out, so enjoyable and funny that it makes the story easier to follow along just because you want to learn more about these people. Every person in this story is unique in their own way, a completely different personality than the others.

So even though there is definitely a large cast of characters in this series, their inimitable ways makes it less of a trial to remember which character is who.

Things I like:

the characters
the writing is very funny
it’s quick-paced
Things I don’t like:

it’s quite graphic sometimes and it doesn’t always feel necessary
sometimes the story gets a little disjointed and hard to follow along
Who I’d recommend it to:

If you don’t mind the adult-ness of a graphic novel and are interested in a quite hilarious, heart-felt graphic novel I would definitely suggest the Saga series. ( )
  ancientbookbride | Sep 11, 2018 |
3.5 ( )
  Bibli0mane | Aug 22, 2018 |
Hilarious, exciting, and super bizarre. ( )
  captainmander | Jul 19, 2018 |
I really need to figure out a system on how to review graphic novels, since I'm really new to this.

Saga was pitched to me as sort of Romeo and Juliet sort of tale, but I can't say that I got that out of it. This book was.... strange, but intriguing. I'm definitely going to move onto the next volume to see what happens.

The art wasn't my favorite, but I didn't despise it.

The only word I can use to describe this is weird. ( )
  jlydia | Jun 25, 2018 |
At long last I've picked up [b: Saga|15704307|Saga, Vol. 1 (Saga, #1)|Brian K. Vaughan|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1486028947s/15704307.jpg|19113524], a series that has been recommended to me infinite times. I don't think I've ever met a person who didn't read this series and love it, and after seeing some of Karen's review of the series (and having picked up [b: Chew|11738219|Chewed|Arne Svenson|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1388327588s/11738219.jpg|16687436] due to her high praise for it) I figured it was about time I got on board. After all, the trade paperbacks finally go up to eight (nine after September) so I'll no longer have to contend with the seventh book cliff-hanger. Right?

[b: Saga|15704307|Saga, Vol. 1 (Saga, #1)|Brian K. Vaughan|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1486028947s/15704307.jpg|19113524] was described to me as a kind of Romeo and Juliet space-opera, two star-crossed lovers from opposite sides of an intergalactic war trying to keep themselves and their baby alive. The gist of that description is accurate, but it's lacking the heart of the story here. The artwork is gorgeous, the writing cutting and clean, the pacing of the plot quick. The first book went by in a heartbeat and left me wanting more. This is the comic-book medium used stylistically and taken to its greatest extreme.

Here, the writers and artists have tried to create all that the medium allows them. They're pushing what can be imagined to the limit in a no-holds barred romp through galaxies. Television-headed robots with PTSD? Why not? Horns, wings, tails, and anthropomorphic beasts? Sure. Space-ships growing on trees? Naturally.

Can't wait to see where this journey takes us next. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |

Vaughan, Brian K.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Staples, FionaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
FonografiksLettering + Designsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stephenson, EricCoordinatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This is how an idea becomes real.
After us locals die, we get to live on as "spiritual defenders of Cleave."
But clearly, that's a suck-ass evolutionary plan, since your two armies had no problem wiping our people off the map.

"When two soldiers from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war fall in love, they risk everything to bring a fragile new life into a dangerous old universe" -- p. [4] of cover.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,802,580 books! | Top bar: Always visible