The Wee Free Men (2003)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld: Tiffany Aching (1), Discworld: Young Adult (2), Discworld (30)

A young witch-to-be named Tiffany teams up with the Wee Free Men, a clan of six-inch-high blue men, to rescue her baby brother and ward off a sinister invasion from Fairyland.
    A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett (bibliovermis)
    bibliovermis: The sequel. Just as good as the first!
    Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For rising YA readers who like smart mouths and smarter brains, because Polly (age 19) is going to find and rescue her brother. Or else.
    Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett (bostonian71)
    Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (Nikkles)
    The Shepherd's Crown by Terry Pratchett (midnightblues)
    midnightblues: Well worth reading the full series.
    The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For middle-grade readers interested in fairyland, and the dangers inherent there.
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (Nikkles)
    Summer in Orcus by T Kingfisher (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For middle-grade readers interested in solitary children and immersive worlds: Because there's a whole horizon in front of Summer (age 11), and it just keeps getting bigger.

English (222)  German (2)  French (1)  Polish (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (231)
Með fyndnari sögum Pratchetts. Hann kynnir nú til sögunnar Tiffany, unga stúlku sem ætlar sér að verða norn, sem ásamt the Wee Free men, 6 þumlunga háum herskara blárra álfa, takast á við Álfadrottningu og herskara hennar. Tiffany neyðist til að halda til Álfaheims og martraðarkenndra skrýmsla hans þegar hún kemst að því að drottningin hefur rænt bróður sínum. Óborganlegur húmor líkt og oft áður. ( )
  SkuliSael | Apr 28, 2022 |
A nine-year-old dairymaid who wants to be a witch vs. an evil fairy dreamland queen.

4/4 (Great).

I find the fact that this is Discworld Book #30 makes it weirdly difficult to review. This far into the series, I've got pretty serious Discworld fatigue. And there's a lot of background, from a lot of lesser Discworld books, that this builds off of. At the same time, this book is absolutely delightful and one of the best books I've read in a while. It's frustrating.

(Apr. 2022) ( )
  comfypants | Apr 15, 2022 |
This is the story of a 9 y/o girl who has to find her brothers, discovers she is going to become a witch, meets up with the Nac Mac Feegle, the toad, the queen on her quest to find her brother. It is humorous, the Wee Free Men are quite Scottish and fun. ( )
  Kristelh | Apr 6, 2022 |
Perfect summertime reading. Handing it to Laura next as I dig into the second book in this series. ( )
  bardbooks | Nov 11, 2021 |
The two Pratchett books I read prior to this one had a distinctive tone and style. This one, for the first 100 pages, reminded me of Diana Wynne Jones(who isn't a terrible writer). It was similar in that it started slow and contained interesting, yet hard-to-attach-yourself-to, main characters (a bit lacking in feeling and mentally old for their age) that are thrown into a fantasy world. So my expectations were shattered until Pratchett's voice started to slip back in around page 115 or so.

It's rather impossible to not love the WFM, the toad, and Mrs. Tick. I was of two minds regarding the infrequently reoccurring toilet humor: 1) as a kid you're always asking these things. Because when do detectives with a short time frame find time to use the toilet? But 2) it's really not that amusing to me. So I appreciated the nod to a very valid question. But I'm not sure it was necessary. I would also probably, because of a couple of other jokes, suggest that this be in a teen section. But that's me. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |

Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gall, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Player, StephenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Some things start before other things.
No wonder we dream our way through our lives. To be awake, and see it all as it really is ... no one could stand that for long.
Now ... if you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.
“Yes! I'm me! I am careful and logical and I look up things I don't understand! When I hear people use the wrong words, I get edgy! I am good with cheese. I read books fast! I think! And I always have a piece of string! That's the kind of person I am!”
“Zoology, eh? That's a big word, isn't it."

"No, actually it isn't," said Tiffany. "Patronizing is a big word. Zoology is really quite short.”

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,586,319 books! | Top bar: Always visible