The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath by H. P.…

The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath (1970)

by H. P. Lovecraft

English (10)  French (1)  All (11)

The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath is a wonderfully creepy horror story of one man's quest to find and reach a forbidden place with an unexpected and great ending. The lack of dialogue shouldn't be a surprise to any Lovecraft lover, but the imaginative way this story is told and filled with unearthly creatures while the protagonist is searching for a way to get to his destination should be enough to overlook that.

The main character is Randolph Carter who meets many strange and terrifying beings on his journey; beings like zoogs, ghasts, gugs, nightgaunts and so on.

Whatever Randolph Carter encounters, whatever happens to him on his journey, he never stops going forward. There isn't a single place or a tavern where people don't try to warn him off his quest to get to Kadath. He never wavers. One of the beautiful things is that he gets help from unlikely sources.

There are so many references to other Lovecraft's stories here, I am certain I missed a few. Some of well-known characters play an even greater role than you might expect. Here you'll find out what happened to Kuranes and where exactly Pickman ended up after he had disappeared. The cats of Ulthar don't just make an appearance, but rather give this story a fairy tale touch. Even Nyarlathotep has a role to play.

Now, you can choose to read this story partly as a commentary on society. I'll simply read it as fantasy.
  Aneris | Apr 22, 2017 |
Yes, but Kindle.
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
First, this one is just for the hardcore Lovecraft fan. One thing that one must keep in mind is that this is basically a first draft, Lovecraft wrote it, decided that it was bad and put it in a drawer, it was published just after his death.

Here Lovecraft delves deep in his Dream World and in all craziness of dreams in general (or at least his dreams, which were certainly way crazier than mine), I guess one could say that this story is a weird mixture of Alice, Oz and Lovecratian horror (although I’m not sure if one should, so excuse me if I do, lol).

Anyway, one of my favorite things about this novella is that it references most of Lovecraft’s previous body of work, especially those stories concerning Randolph Carter and what later became known as the Dream Cycle. I mean, it is not just references to places, creatures, hideous gods and tomes of forbidden lore, as is usual in Lovecraft’s fiction, but also we get to reencounter many of the characters he created in previous tales (and that is pretty rare for Lovecraft).

No doubt, this story has its fair share of problems, but I had such great fun reading it, the adventure, the perils, the battles, the cats - YAY Cats!-, the references (specially knowing that I knew them, lol) that I couldn’t possibly rate it with any less than five stars. Even though I acknowledge that it definitely does not achieve the same heights as most of Lovecraft’s later work as The Call of Cthulhu, At The Mountains of Madness or The Shadow over Innsmouth, just to name a few.

In conclusion, even though it, most certainly, was not Lovecraft’s plan, the greatest thing about this story is, once knowing his other works, finding the bits and pieces that are referenced throughout. Indeed, if one does not possess this previous knowledge that would end up being the story's main weakness, as most of it would seem detached. ( )
  Jack_Saucer | Mar 14, 2014 |
This story is rather uncharacteristic of Lovecraft. It reads more like a fairy tale, and is extremely optimistic. Far from proclaiming the futility of everything, it's main thesis is that our own very world and the memories we make of it is so beautiful that the gods themselves are jealous ( )
  Beholderess | Dec 18, 2013 |
One of the handful of imaginative fiction books I've EVER reread. ( )
  Georges_T._Dodds | Mar 30, 2013 |

H. P. Lovecraftprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carter, LinIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gallardo, GervasioCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Three times Randolph Carter dreamed of the marvelous city, and three times was he snatched away while still he paused on the high terrace above it.
- The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
- The Silver Key
No death, no doom, no anguish can arouse the surpassing despair which flows from a loss of identity.
- Through the Gates of the Silver Key

Contents:

The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath
Celephaïs
The Silver Key
Through the Gates of the Silver Key
The White Ship
The Strange High House in the Mist

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345337794, Mass Market Paperback)

Six bone-chilling tales of bizarre beauty and awesome horror lurk in the dark of the soul, waiting to be called upon by the demons of nightmares, and let loose in the frightened mind. Only H.P. Lovecraft could conjure up these testaments to evil that will live inside of you forever....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:22 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,885,624 books! | Top bar: Always visible