dismiss

The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition (1978)

by Stephen King

16,491320210 (4.32)1 / 646
Imagine America devastated by a vast killer plague and the group of men and women coming together to make a last stand against it.
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (Jacey25, drweb, smiteme)
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (quartzite, infiniteletters, BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Dark, detailed tale of post-apocalyptic survivors fighting supernatural evil.
    Nightmares & Dreamscapes by Stephen King (aces)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (artturnerjr)
    Cell by Stephen King (jman14)
    jman14: It has been said that Cell is somewhat of a 're-make' of The Stand. It's a good book in my opinion, but The Stand is at least three times better. Good for anyone who likes their gory Apocalypses.
    Watership Down by Richard Adams (sturlington)
    sturlington: Watership Down is referenced in The Stand. They are similar epics about small bands of survivors who go on a long journey to establish a new home.
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (keremix)
    The Fireman by Joe Hill (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Both books cover the subject of the aftermath of a terrible widespread disease.
    Floating Dragon by Peter Straub (quartzite)
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (mamasigs126)
    mamasigs126: Inspiration for King and a wonderful book.
    Boy's Life by Robert McCammon (Catamount33)
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    The Breakers Series: Books 1-3 by Edward W. Robertson (Dragget)
    Dragget: Well thought out post-apocalyptic stories (civilization wiped out by a superbug) plot follows groups of survivors.
    A Plague Upon Your Family (Zombie Fallout, Book 2) by Mark Tufo (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Epic, apocalyptic cross-country tale with supernatural elements of good v evil
    Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Epic struggles of good vs. evil

English (309)  Dutch (5)  Italian (3)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (319)
A great journey of a book; the fall, each character's personal arc, their coming together and the grand finale. An amazing book.

"Dreams are the psyche’s way of taking a good dump every now and then. And that people who don’t dream—or don’t dream in a way they can often remember when they wake up—are mentally constipated in some way. After all, the only practical compensation for having a nightmare is waking up and realizing it was all just a dream." ( )
  sami7 | Aug 3, 2020 |
The Stand by Stephen King is one of my favorite books by him. I have an old used copy of the uncut version (why would you read any other!?!) with Gary Sinise on the cover and a taped up spine.

Every time i get sick i reread The Stand. Every single time. Though i will admit i don’t always finish it. I usually get through the 1st half of it and by then i’m feeling better.

Any way, The Stand is about what happens when a superflu created by the government is accidently unleashed on the population and kills of 99.4% of the population very, very quickly. Then you see what happens to all the people who survive, how they choose sides (Mother Abigail vs Randall Flagg (the bad guy) ) and how they finally get on with their lives.

I like reading about the superflu and how it spreads when i’m sick, it makes me feel better, i usually don’t finish my rereading because my favorite character dies and one of my less fav. survives (Stupid Stu).

No matter what though, this will always be my go to book when sick.

Happy Readings!

The Book Worm ( )
  artdamnit_reads | Jul 29, 2020 |
Outstanding! My 1st King book... Won't be my last. It's not a horror story so I hope his other books won't disappoint :) The character development in this book is very well done. I feel like I know Larry, Stu, Frannie, Tom, Joe, and even Trash. It's funny too I found myself laughing out loud a few times. The Americana in this book is refreshing and I'm not even American lol. It was long but never really boring. I dreaded the ending as I heard many were disappointed but I thought it ended well. Great job Mr. King. "Baby can you dig your man" by Larry Underwood 😎
P. S. I got the flu while reading this book! The 1st time in 3 years...go figure. ( )
  ReneeNL | Jun 29, 2020 |
When I started to read in this book I was intrigued. But not even halfway through I got so bored with the story, the characters, the dragging of the story. I eventually ended up skimming through the book in order to finish it. Was a disappointing ending it was as well. So many praise this book and I don't get it. So many pages are just fillers in which nothing happens. The whole concept of the decease was interesting, but the whole spiritual concept was just so not interesting. I can't believe this book was over 1300 pages long and nothing, nothing really happened. The story could have been told in about 300 pages as well. What a waste of time it was to read this book. Blegh. ( )
  prettygoodyear | Jun 29, 2020 |
My second favourite Stephen King book. My copy is the super long edition, and it's worth it. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
In short (well, not so short), this is the book that has everything - adventure, romance, prophecy, allegory, satire, fantasy, realism, apocalypse, etc., etc. Even Roger Rabbit gets mentioned. ''The Stand'' does have some great moments and some great lines... But the overall effect is more oppressive than imposing.

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Körber, JoachimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kell, ChristineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neuhaus, WolfgangÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soares, GilsonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We need help, the Poet reckoned.
--Edward Dorn
Outside the street's on fire In a real death waltz Between what's flesh and what's fantasy And the poets down here Don't write nothing at all They just stand back and let it all be And in the quick of the night They reach for their moment And try to make an honest stand... -- Bruce Springsteen
...And it was clear she couldn't go on, The door was opened and the wind appeared, The candles blew and then disappeared, The curtains flew and then he appeared, Said, "Don't be afraid, Come on, Mary," And she had no fear And she ran to him And they started to fly... She had taken his hand... Come on, Mary, Don't fear the reaper... -- Blue Oyster Cult
Well the deputy walks on hard nails And the preacher rides a mount But nothing really matters much, It's doom alone that counts And the one-eyed undertaker, he blows a futile horn "Come in," she said, "I'll give ya Shelter from the storm." -- Bob Dylan
For my wife Tabitha:

This dark chest of wonders.
Hapscomb's Texaco sat on Number 93 just north of Arnette, a pissant four-street burg about 110 miles from Houston.
"Sally."
They were standing atop a snowbank nearly nine feet high. Crusted snow sloped steeply down to the bare road below, and to the right was a sign which read simply: Boulder City Limits.
"My life for you!"
Please do not combine The Stand (1978) with The Stand: The Complete & Uncut Edition (1990). The latter edition contains over 300 pages of new material and includes subplots and characters not included in the 1978 edition.

ISBNs associated with the Uncut version of The Stand include (0340358955, 0340920955, 0340951443, 0385199570, 0450537374, 0451169530, 0451179285, 0517219018, 1568495714, 270961281X, 3404132130, 3404134117, 340425242X, 3404255240, 840149896, 8497599411, 8573027002, 8789918304, 8845212173, 9021005719, 9024545579, and 9127063631)

When a man crashes his car into a petrol station, he brings with him the foul corpses of his wife and daughter. He dies and it doesn't take long for the plague which killed him to spread across America and the world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,953,073 books! | Top bar: Always visible