The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition (1978)

by Stephen King

17,175329212 (4.3)1 / 668
Imagine America devastated by a vast killer plague and the group of men and women coming together to make a last stand against it.
Recently added bypbeagan, pamirick, johngraham77, Erina42, private library, SONYAns, Michaelok44, ledjuk
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (Jacey25, drweb, smiteme)
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (quartzite, infiniteletters, BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Dark, detailed tale of post-apocalyptic survivors fighting supernatural evil.
    Nightmares & Dreamscapes by Stephen King (aces)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (artturnerjr)
    Cell by Stephen King (jman14)
    jman14: It has been said that Cell is somewhat of a 're-make' of The Stand. It's a good book in my opinion, but The Stand is at least three times better. Good for anyone who likes their gory Apocalypses.
    Watership Down by Richard Adams (sturlington)
    sturlington: Watership Down is referenced in The Stand. They are similar epics about small bands of survivors who go on a long journey to establish a new home.
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (keremix)
    The Fireman by Joe Hill (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Both books cover the subject of the aftermath of a terrible widespread disease.
    Floating Dragon by Peter Straub (quartzite)
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (mamasigs126)
    mamasigs126: Inspiration for King and a wonderful book.
    Boy's Life by Robert McCammon (Catamount33)
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    The Breakers Series: Books 1-3 by Edward W. Robertson (Dragget)
    Dragget: Well thought out post-apocalyptic stories (civilization wiped out by a superbug) plot follows groups of survivors.
    A Plague Upon Your Family (Zombie Fallout, Book 2) by Mark Tufo (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Epic, apocalyptic cross-country tale with supernatural elements of good v evil
    Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Epic struggles of good vs. evil

English (319)  Dutch (5)  Italian (3)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (329)
When I was in high school, they released a TV miniseries if The Stand that I watched. I always thought it was the best end of the world/virus take I’d seen. Not because it’s realistic or gritty, but because it frames the story with great characters battling good and evil.

When I read the book, I wondered how closely it would follow the miniseries. Turns out the show was a near scene for scene recording of the book (one of the bonuses of making it 6 hours).

What’s amazing to me about The Stand is that it follows so many characters storylines so well. It would be easy to get lost with that many characters, but somehow they fit together in a way that I didn’t feel overwhelmed. Add to that a story that had me on the edge of my seat and I see why this is considered one of the best sci fi books of all time. ( )
  adamfortuna | May 28, 2021 |
This took me a really long time to read - This will probably be the longest book I read over the next year. However, if I could keep an audio book for longer than 10 days, I could probably finish listening to this 40 hour book in less than the amount of time it took me to read. There were huge sections that could have been cut out - which I'm sure were cut out of the originally published book. There were certain details that weren't needed in the slightest because the characters were not going to matter what-so-ever in the long run of the story. I liked the last half of the book the most because the characters were finally all together (although I understand the reason behind characters being separate at the beginning and traveling to eventually meet each other. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get into this book as much as I would have liked, the short amount of time I was able to keep the book to listen to it with other people checking it out keeping me from rechecking it out, plus the business of life affected by overall rating for the book. I have to settle at a 3.25*. ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
Waar die goodreads statistieken goed voor zijn: 1325 blz op 14 dagen. Snel gezegd: 100 blz per dag zonder dat tempo te laten zakken. Me dunkt dat hierdoor de twijfel tussen 4 en 5 sterren weggenomen werd: als je ons aan dat tempo kan laten lezen, heb je uitstekend werk geleverd.
Het verhaal: uit een Amerikaans laboratorium ontsnapt een gemodificeerd virus en enkele weken later is de mensheid met zowat 95% gereduceerd. De overlevenden hergroeperen stilaan en blijken allemaal van twee figuren te dromen, zo ontstaan er twee nieuwe gemeenschappen die goed en kwaad vertegenwoordigen. Die strijd wordt episch, spiritueel en mytisch beslecht.
Stephen King creëert sterke personages, een krachtige spanningsboog en schetst een relevant beeld van de menselijke aard. Wat ons nu meer opviel dan 25 jaar geleden bij de eerste lezing, zijn de vele culturele referenties in het boek, naar muziek, literatuur, film, .... die voor prettige herkenning zorgen en soms wat extra lading geven.
We lazen de uitgebreide versie van het boek (bij verschijning waren er een 300 blz minder) en konden het bij aanvang niet laten ons soms af te vragen of sommige stukken essentieel waren of alleen in de uitgebreide versie werden opgenomen, maar dat gevoel ebde snel weg.
Een absoluut geslaagde herlezing in het Engels, 25 jaar nadat we de Nederlandse vertaling onder een boom in Portugal op één dag tot ons namen.
Stephen King was de auteur uit onze jeugd en dat begrijpen we nog steeds. Excellent en meeslepend leesvoer. Dat de uiteindelijk plot nog altijd in ons hoofd zat, maakte de trip misschien net iets minder indrukwekkend, maar dat is onze eigen schuld :) ( )
  GertDeBie | Mar 22, 2021 |
First and third book are very thrilling, absolutely enthralling, I refused to put the book down. However, the second book felt the longest and was mostly filled with politics and everyday life until near the end. Very good book though, totally worth it! ( )
  the-useless-follower | Jan 24, 2021 |
The first time I read this was during the swine flu outbreak in 2012. Not deliberately, it just worked out that way. The book synchronised very satisfyingly with real life, as events in the news just seemed like more mundane and diluted chapters. The partial immersion that ensued was effective. ( )
  daringfeline | Jan 17, 2021 |
In short (well, not so short), this is the book that has everything - adventure, romance, prophecy, allegory, satire, fantasy, realism, apocalypse, etc., etc. Even Roger Rabbit gets mentioned. ''The Stand'' does have some great moments and some great lines... But the overall effect is more oppressive than imposing.

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Körber, JoachimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kell, ChristineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neuhaus, WolfgangÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soares, GilsonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We need help, the Poet reckoned.
--Edward Dorn
Outside the street's on fire In a real death waltz Between what's flesh and what's fantasy And the poets down here Don't write nothing at all They just stand back and let it all be And in the quick of the night They reach for their moment And try to make an honest stand... -- Bruce Springsteen
...And it was clear she couldn't go on, The door was opened and the wind appeared, The candles blew and then disappeared, The curtains flew and then he appeared, Said, "Don't be afraid, Come on, Mary," And she had no fear And she ran to him And they started to fly... She had taken his hand... Come on, Mary, Don't fear the reaper... -- Blue Oyster Cult
Well the deputy walks on hard nails And the preacher rides a mount But nothing really matters much, It's doom alone that counts And the one-eyed undertaker, he blows a futile horn "Come in," she said, "I'll give ya Shelter from the storm." -- Bob Dylan
For my wife Tabitha:

This dark chest of wonders.
Hapscomb's Texaco sat on Number 93 just north of Arnette, a pissant four-street burg about 110 miles from Houston.
"Sally."
They were standing atop a snowbank nearly nine feet high. Crusted snow sloped steeply down to the bare road below, and to the right was a sign which read simply: Boulder City Limits.
"My life for you!"
Please do not combine The Stand (1978) with The Stand: The Complete & Uncut Edition (1990). The latter edition contains over 300 pages of new material and includes subplots and characters not included in the 1978 edition.

ISBNs associated with the Uncut version of The Stand include (0340358955, 0340920955, 0340951443, 0385199570, 0450537374, 0451169530, 0451179285, 0517219018, 1568495714, 270961281X, 3404132130, 3404134117, 340425242X, 3404255240, 840149896, 8497599411, 8573027002, 8789918304, 8845212173, 9021005719, 9024545579, and 9127063631)

When a man crashes his car into a petrol station, he brings with him the foul corpses of his wife and daughter. He dies and it doesn't take long for the plague which killed him to spread across America and the world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,840,696 books! | Top bar: Always visible