The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition (1978)

by Stephen King

17,416336214 (4.3)1 / 679
Imagine America devastated by a vast killer plague and the group of men and women coming together to make a last stand against it.
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (Jacey25, drweb, smiteme)
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (quartzite, infiniteletters, BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Dark, detailed tale of post-apocalyptic survivors fighting supernatural evil.
    Nightmares & Dreamscapes by Stephen King (aces)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (artturnerjr)
    Cell by Stephen King (jman14)
    jman14: It has been said that Cell is somewhat of a 're-make' of The Stand. It's a good book in my opinion, but The Stand is at least three times better. Good for anyone who likes their gory Apocalypses.
    Watership Down by Richard Adams (sturlington)
    sturlington: Watership Down is referenced in The Stand. They are similar epics about small bands of survivors who go on a long journey to establish a new home.
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (keremix)
    The Fireman by Joe Hill (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Both books cover the subject of the aftermath of a terrible widespread disease.
    Floating Dragon by Peter Straub (quartzite)
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (mamasigs126)
    mamasigs126: Inspiration for King and a wonderful book.
    Boy's Life by Robert McCammon (Catamount33)
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    The Breakers Series: Books 1-3 by Edward W. Robertson (Dragget)
    Dragget: Well thought out post-apocalyptic stories (civilization wiped out by a superbug) plot follows groups of survivors.
    A Plague Upon Your Family by Mark Tufo (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Epic, apocalyptic cross-country tale with supernatural elements of good v evil
    Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Epic struggles of good vs. evil

English (326)  Dutch (5)  Italian (3)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (336)
I had been thinking about reading this for years. It is such an iconic book with big themes like the sacrifice of the individual for the greater good of the group and hierarchy in society, but especially the theme of good vs. evil. There were representations for Christ and the Anti-Christ who seek to gain control over this new emerging society. Big, bold ideas. It should have been enthralling, but I was quite bored for the whole first half of the book, and with a 1400 page book - that is a lot of boredom. Things got more interesting in the second half as the survivors begin to re-build society and I was into it by the very end. I'm glad that I took the time to read it but it didn't rock my world at all and I can't even say I would recommend it. Great idea but lacking punch. ( )
  Iudita | Sep 17, 2021 |
Finally. ( )
  jamestomasino | Sep 11, 2021 |
I've been a King fan since middle school and I love to go back and re-read his fiction. This book is a typical examination of the forces of good & evil in the aftermath of a man-made apocalypse. My observation during this reading is that I didn't remember this book having so many capital G god references. That's not ever been my thing and it's interesting to me that in all my past readings I've managed to subconsciously skirt right past that. Other than that - if you're a King fan, you'll love it and all the Dark Tower references...he wrote the Dark Tower so many times before he wrote the Dark Tower! If you're not a King fan and you're not a swift reader, I'd suggest starting out with one of his shorter books and working your way up to this heavy tome. ( )
  envyensor | Aug 12, 2021 |
Yes this is an amazing story but I must confess that I got about half way through (600 pages or so) and had to abandon it because frankly it was too on the money with what we are living through now. The description of the sickness and how it spread was terrifying and very similar to COVID 19. I will probably finish it because it is that good but I am going to guess sometime after the hysteria around our current pandemic winds down a bit. ( )
  scoene | Jul 13, 2021 |
Wow that was long. ( )
  MuggleBorn930 | Jul 11, 2021 |
In short (well, not so short), this is the book that has everything - adventure, romance, prophecy, allegory, satire, fantasy, realism, apocalypse, etc., etc. Even Roger Rabbit gets mentioned. ''The Stand'' does have some great moments and some great lines... But the overall effect is more oppressive than imposing.

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Körber, JoachimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kell, ChristineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neuhaus, WolfgangÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soares, GilsonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We need help, the Poet reckoned.
--Edward Dorn
Outside the street's on fire In a real death waltz Between what's flesh and what's fantasy And the poets down here Don't write nothing at all They just stand back and let it all be And in the quick of the night They reach for their moment And try to make an honest stand... -- Bruce Springsteen
...And it was clear she couldn't go on, The door was opened and the wind appeared, The candles blew and then disappeared, The curtains flew and then he appeared, Said, "Don't be afraid, Come on, Mary," And she had no fear And she ran to him And they started to fly... She had taken his hand... Come on, Mary, Don't fear the reaper... -- Blue Oyster Cult
Well the deputy walks on hard nails And the preacher rides a mount But nothing really matters much, It's doom alone that counts And the one-eyed undertaker, he blows a futile horn "Come in," she said, "I'll give ya Shelter from the storm." -- Bob Dylan
For my wife Tabitha:

This dark chest of wonders.
Hapscomb's Texaco sat on Number 93 just north of Arnette, a pissant four-street burg about 110 miles from Houston.
"Sally."
They were standing atop a snowbank nearly nine feet high. Crusted snow sloped steeply down to the bare road below, and to the right was a sign which read simply: Boulder City Limits.
"My life for you!"
Please do not combine The Stand (1978) with The Stand: The Complete & Uncut Edition (1990). The latter edition contains over 300 pages of new material and includes subplots and characters not included in the 1978 edition.

ISBNs associated with the Uncut version of The Stand include (0340358955, 0340920955, 0340951443, 0385199570, 0450537374, 0451169530, 0451179285, 0517219018, 1568495714, 270961281X, 3404132130, 3404134117, 340425242X, 3404255240, 840149896, 8497599411, 8573027002, 8789918304, 8845212173, 9021005719, 9024545579, and 9127063631)

When a man crashes his car into a petrol station, he brings with him the foul corpses of his wife and daughter. He dies and it doesn't take long for the plague which killed him to spread across America and the world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,316,859 books! | Top bar: Always visible