The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition (1978)

by Stephen King

18,570360218 (4.3)1 / 716
Imagine America devastated by a vast killer plague and the group of men and women coming together to make a last stand against it.
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (Jacey25, drweb, smiteme)
    Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon (quartzite, infiniteletters, BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Dark, detailed tale of post-apocalyptic survivors fighting supernatural evil.
    Nightmares & Dreamscapes by Stephen King (aces)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (artturnerjr)
    Cell by Stephen King (jman14)
    jman14: It has been said that Cell is somewhat of a 're-make' of The Stand. It's a good book in my opinion, but The Stand is at least three times better. Good for anyone who likes their gory Apocalypses.
    Watership Down by Richard Adams (sturlington)
    sturlington: Watership Down is referenced in The Stand. They are similar epics about small bands of survivors who go on a long journey to establish a new home.
    Floating Dragon by Peter Straub (quartzite)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (keremix)
    The Fireman by Joe Hill (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Both books cover the subject of the aftermath of a terrible widespread disease.
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (mamasigs126)
    mamasigs126: Inspiration for King and a wonderful book.
    The Breakers Series: Books 1-3 by Edward W. Robertson (Dragget)
    Dragget: Well thought out post-apocalyptic stories (civilization wiped out by a superbug) plot follows groups of survivors.
    Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank (Curran2)
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    Boy's Life by Robert R. McCammon (Catamount33)
    A Plague Upon Your Family by Mark Tufo (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Epic, apocalyptic cross-country tale with supernatural elements of good v evil
    Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Epic struggles of good vs. evil

Group TopicMessagesLast Message
 75 Books Challenge for 2009: Group Read: The Stand58 unread / 58billiejean, October 2009

English (347)  Dutch (5)  Italian (3)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (358)
A LENGTHY book, but I kept tuning back in for more. It was a bit hard to keep track of everyone, but eventually you get used to all the people. And there wee a lot, and a lot of them came and went as they were introduced and then died. The supernatural part of the story - the spiritualist black elder, the stand-in for Satan, the wolves, etc, was almost unnecessary to the story. It added an overriding conflict, but I'd love to have read the story without this element, and just seen man vs. man played out.

Part of what makes a post-apocalyptic story so interesting is all the details about how life changes, and King was pretty good about showing this. Life would indeed be very hard for many people. Also interesting to read it in the post-covid era - we all got a little taste of what it's like to live through a pandemic, albeit one that was far less fatal. King has a really good ear for dialogue and for the unique voices each of his characters carries. He can write a very convincing hillbilly, and an equally good college professor. That isn't an easy thing to do.

I read the 'restored' original version of this one, which has lot of the edits put back in. Read the introduction - King is playful and funny - but I think I'd have been just as happy with the shorter version. I have no regrets, however. ( )
  jsmick | Nov 1, 2022 |
Rilettura a distanza di troppi anni, tanto da ricordarne davvero poco. ( )
  L3landG4unt | Oct 11, 2022 |
My first Stephen King novel, I think I should have read something smaller, it didn't totally click but I did like some of the characters, Tom and Nick in particular, but some aspects of the story didn't click for me, without going into spoilers I think some story tropes didn't go like I thought. Still there where some great moments, some that I saw in my minds eye and really liked, but for the length it is a solid 3/5. I do know some characters belong to other series. And in all honestly for someone called The Man in Black, and his powers, they where not all that super amazing or scary. He however did have an amazing presence, specially at the start of the story, it feels like dread, and mysterious, but then you realize he is just another character at the end, which goes a long with the story I guess. ( )
  LedzMx | Sep 4, 2022 |
Did not expect THAT to happen. And also, for that certain character to do as he did. ( )
  rufus666 | Aug 14, 2022 |
like always, some elements of king's books can be problematic, but this book is really important to me. ( )
  J.Flux | Aug 13, 2022 |
In short (well, not so short), this is the book that has everything - adventure, romance, prophecy, allegory, satire, fantasy, realism, apocalypse, etc., etc. Even Roger Rabbit gets mentioned. ''The Stand'' does have some great moments and some great lines... But the overall effect is more oppressive than imposing.

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Körber, JoachimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kell, ChristineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neuhaus, WolfgangÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soares, GilsonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We need help, the Poet reckoned.
--Edward Dorn
Outside the street's on fire In a real death waltz Between what's flesh and what's fantasy And the poets down here Don't write nothing at all They just stand back and let it all be And in the quick of the night They reach for their moment And try to make an honest stand... -- Bruce Springsteen
...And it was clear she couldn't go on, The door was opened and the wind appeared, The candles blew and then disappeared, The curtains flew and then he appeared, Said, "Don't be afraid, Come on, Mary," And she had no fear And she ran to him And they started to fly... She had taken his hand... Come on, Mary, Don't fear the reaper... -- Blue Oyster Cult
Well the deputy walks on hard nails And the preacher rides a mount But nothing really matters much, It's doom alone that counts And the one-eyed undertaker, he blows a futile horn "Come in," she said, "I'll give ya Shelter from the storm." -- Bob Dylan
For my wife Tabitha:

This dark chest of wonders.
Hapscomb's Texaco sat on Number 93 just north of Arnette, a pissant four-street burg about 110 miles from Houston.
"Sally."
They were standing atop a snowbank nearly nine feet high. Crusted snow sloped steeply down to the bare road below, and to the right was a sign which read simply: Boulder City Limits.
"My life for you!"
Please do not combine The Stand (1978) with The Stand: The Complete & Uncut Edition (1990). The latter edition contains over 300 pages of new material and includes subplots and characters not included in the 1978 edition.

ISBNs associated with the Uncut version of The Stand include (0340358955, 0340920955, 0340951443, 0385199570, 038552885X, 0450537374, 0451169530, 0451179285, 0517219018, 1568495714, 270961281X, 3404132130, 3404134117, 340425242X, 3404255240, 840149896, 8497599411, 8573027002, 8789918304, 8845212173, 9021005719, 9024545579, and 9127063631)

When a man crashes his car into a petrol station, he brings with him the foul corpses of his wife and daughter. He dies and it doesn't take long for the plague which killed him to spread across America and the world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,854,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible