The Fireman by Joe Hill

The Fireman

by Joe Hill

Bird Box by Josh Malerman (Shelby_Kuzma)
    Shelby_Kuzma: Both books deal with a female character attempting to protect herself and her children in the wake of a widespread, apocalyptic event.
    The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by Stephen King (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Both books cover the subject of the aftermath of a terrible widespread disease.
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (sturlington)

English (86)  Italian (1)  All languages (87)
I can't think of a single thing that I didn't like about this book, and I'm not sure what took me so long to read it. I loved the premise, the writing is solid, the characters are fantastic, and the story just flows along wonderfully. ( )
  sprainedbrain | Dec 1, 2018 |
I'm not finishing this, no matter what I need Goodreads to say in order to get it off my current lists. I have no real problem with the way the book is written, the language, the skill, but the story was unrelenting. No happy endings here, nor hope of one, even in the early pages. It was just too much - too much pain, and not enough - well, not any - hope. This is an unfair criticism, and says more about my life right now than it does about the author. ( )
  CatherineBurkeHines | Nov 28, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this, although I wouldn't say it's great writing or even very unique. I found a lot of similarities to The Stand, which I guess if you are going to follow a standard for a post apocalypse story The Stand is a great one to take from.
Even though it's rather huge I found it to be a quick read and I really loved some of the characters. Unfortunately I predicted the ending pretty exactly, which I was a little disappointed about.
Overall I recommend it if you like post apocalypse books, but don't expect spectacular writing and just enjoy the story for what it is. ( )
  ChelleBearss | Oct 6, 2018 |
I received an e-arc of this book last week. I finally started to read it last night and couldn't put it down. Nowadays, that kind of book, one so good, is a very rare find for me. Even good books, I can put aside when I should be sleeping but not this one.

The novel is a fascinating twist on the 'end of the world as we know it' genre. It isn't a prepper tale- a weak frame of a novel supporting prepping instructions (what foods to store, how to store them, what weapons to stockpile, etc.). While the novel explores shades of religious fanaticism and 'end times' human psychology, it is done in a recognizable setting with a tint of fantasy and horror that cushions the lessons the author wants you to leave then novel with.

The ending surprised me- not exactly the way I wanted the end to be for certain characters that I couldn't help but become invested in, but it was done very well. I can't recall the release date for this novel, but I think it is soon. Go pre-order a copy, you won't be disappointed.

autumnturner76 | Oct 4, 2018 |
It had a decent plot but it just felt flat. There was a vague undercurrent of suspense, horror etc but I really didn't gel with the characters at all. ( )
  libgirl69 | Oct 3, 2018 |
Outside the street's on fire
in a real death waltz...
--"Jungleland," Bruce Springsteen
Though I spends me time in the ashes and smoke
In this 'ole wide world there's no 'appier bloke.
--"Chim Chim Cher-ee," Robert and Richard Sherman
It was a pleasure to burn.
--Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury
For Ethan John King, who burns bright. Your Dad loves you.
Harper Grayson had seen lots of people burn on TV, everyone had, but the first person she saw burn for real was in the playground behind the school.
Humanity is a germ that thrives on the very edge of catastrophe.
The people in charge can always justify doing terrible things in the name of the greater good.
But we need kindness like we need to eat. It satisfies something in us we can't do without.

No one knows exactly when it began or where it originated. A terrifying new plague is spreading like wildfire across the country, striking cities one by one: Boston, Detroit, Seattle. The doctors call it Draco Incendia Trychophyton. To everyone else it’s Dragonscale, a highly contagious, deadly spore that marks its hosts with beautiful black and gold marks across their bodies—before causing them to burst into flames. Millions are infected; blazes erupt everywhere. There is no antidote. No one is safe.

Harper Grayson, a compassionate, dedicated nurse as pragmatic as Mary Poppins, treated hundreds of infected patients before her hospital burned to the ground. Now she’s discovered the telltale gold-flecked marks on her skin. When the outbreak first began, she and her husband, Jakob, had made a pact: they would take matters into their own hands if they became infected. To Jakob’s dismay, Harper wants to live—at least until the fetus she is carrying comes to term. At the hospital, she witnessed infected mothers give birth to healthy babies and believes hers will be fine too. . . if she can live long enough to deliver the child.

Convinced that his do-gooding wife has made him sick, Jakob becomes unhinged, and eventually abandons her as their placid New England community collapses in terror. The chaos gives rise to ruthless Cremation Squads—armed, self-appointed posses roaming the streets and woods to exterminate those who they believe carry the spore. But Harper isn’t as alone as she fears: a mysterious and compelling stranger she briefly met at the hospital, a man in a dirty yellow fire fighter’s jacket, carrying a hooked iron bar, straddles the abyss between insanity and death. Known as The Fireman, he strolls the ruins of New Hampshire, a madman afflicted with Dragonscale who has learned to control the fire within himself, using it as a shield to protect the hunted . . . and as a weapon to avenge the wronged.

In the desperate season to come, as the world burns out of control, Harper must learn the Fireman’s secrets before her life—and that of her unborn child—goes up in smoke.

From the award-winning, New York Times bestselling author of NOS4A2 and Heart-Shaped Box comes a chilling novel about a worldwide pandemic of spontaneous combustion that threatens to reduce civilization to ashes and a band of improbable heroes who battle to save it, led by one powerful and enigmatic man known as the Fireman. The Fireman is coming. Stay cool. No one knows exactly when it began or where it originated. A terrifying new plague is spreading like wildfire across the country, striking cities one by one: Boston, Detroit, Seattle. The doctors call it Draco Incendia Trychophyton. To everyone else it s Dragonscale, a highly contagious, deadly spore that marks its hosts with beautiful black and gold marks across their bodies before causing them to burst into flames. Millions are infected; blazes erupt everywhere. There is no antidote. No one is safe. Harper Grayson, a compassionate, dedicated nurse as pragmatic as Mary Poppins, treated hundreds of infected patients before her hospital burned to the ground. Now she s discovered the telltale gold-flecked marks on her skin. When the outbreak first began, she and her husband, Jakob, had made a pact: they would take matters into their own hands if they became infected. To Jakob s dismay, Harper wants to live at least until the fetus she is carrying comes to term. At the hospital, she witnessed infected mothers give birth to healthy babies and believes hers will be fine too. . . if she can live long enough to deliver the child. Convinced that his do-gooding wife has made him sick, Jakob becomes unhinged, and eventually abandons her as their placid New England community collapses in terror. The chaos gives rise to ruthless Cremation Squads armed, self-appointed posses roaming the streets and woods to exterminate those who they believe carry the spore. But Harper isn't as alone as she fears: a mysterious and compelling stranger she briefly met at the hospital, a man in a dirty yellow fire fighter s jacket, carrying a hooked iron bar, straddles the abyss between insanity and death. Known as The Fireman, he strolls the ruins of New Hampshire, a madman afflicted with Dragonscale who has learned to control the fire within himself, using it as a shield to protect the hunted ... and as a weapon to avenge the wronged. In the desperate season to come, as the world burns out of control, Harper must learn the Fireman's secrets before her life and that of her unborn child goes up in smoke.… (more)

Joe Hill is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,823,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible