Bird Box by Josh Malerman

Bird Box

by Josh Malerman

Series: Bird Box (1)

Something is out there . . . Something terrifying that must not be seen. One glimpse and a person is driven to deadly violence. No one knows what it is or where it came from. Five years after it began, a handful of scattered survivors remain, including Malorie and her two young children. Living in an abandoned house near the river, Malorie has long dreamed of fleeing to a place where her family might be safe. But the journey ahead will be terrifying: twenty miles downriver in a rowboat'blindfolded'with nothing to rely on but Malorie's wits and the children's trained ears. One wrong choice and they will die. And something is following them. But is it man, animal, or monster' Engulfed in darkness, surrounded by sounds both familiar and frightening, Malorie embarks on a harrowing odyssey'a trip that takes her into an unseen world and back into the past, to the companions who once saved her. Under the guidance of the stalwart Tom, a motley group of strangers banded together against the unseen terror, creating order from the chaos. But when supplies ran low, they were forced to venture outside'and confront the ultimate question: in a world gone mad, who can really be trusted' Interweaving past and present, Josh Malerman's breathtaking debut is a horrific and gripping snapshot of a world unraveled that will have you racing to the final page.… (more)

English (154)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (156)
A stunning thriller set in a world where seeing a particular thing in the environment (creature, visage - who knows!?) will send the viewer into murderous frenzy followed by horrific suicide. Survivors in this world negotiate the the outside while blindfolded, seeking food, tools, and other usable items. Within this world is a young mother of two kids who have never known the world differently. A great and threatening setting, good character development throughout, economical use of language, and a fast paced plot. If you liked 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy then get onto 'Bird Box'.
  DevilStateDan | Jan 26, 2020 |
Finished the lion's share of this book in one day; once I got into it I didn't want to put it down. I liked the authors writing style and how the story went back and forth to tell the complete story from different times and perspectives. Sometimes that can be clunky but for this it worked and flowed and I can't imagine the story being better if it were done differently. ( )
  BooksAndYarn | Jan 26, 2020 |
Bird Box
(Bird Box #1)
by Josh Malerman
I have mixed feelings about this book. I like horror books but usually there is some hint of what the horror is. This doesn't give any. The good part is that the book is both character and suspense driven. I really couldn't wait to see what was coming next. I wondered constantly how the author was going to end this (and if he was going to let us in on what the horror was). ( )
  MontzaleeW | Jan 13, 2020 |
This book really creeped me out and I didn't like that at first. Then I remembered why I was reading it-to get creeped out! ( )
  parloteo | Dec 21, 2019 |
You will not put this book down. I hated reading it. I loved reading. I couldn't stop reading it. I kept picturing myself in this world, in this woman's shoes. This was a great thriller and I loved every second of it. ( )
  bookswithmom | Dec 18, 2019 |
Malerman overreaches a bit in his debut, which could use as much attention to the cast as to the mood, but the mood is chillingly effective.
added by zapzap | editA.V. Club, Tasha Robinson (May 14, 2014)

Josh Malermanprimary authorall editionscalculated
De Vries, Eriksecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guillot, SébastienÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
HarperAudioPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kinzel, FredÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Limited, HarperCollins PublishersPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mangold, KatharineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,821,924 books! | Top bar: Always visible