Bird Box by Josh Malerman

Bird Box

by Josh Malerman

English (96)  German (1)  All (97)
A-freaking-mazing, loved this book! Perfect amount of scary, suspense, and character. I have a book hang over, how do I move on? I will recommend this book over and over till everyone is sick of me asking.... Have you read the bird box? ( )
  puredragonstar | Mar 21, 2018 |
Bird Box tells the story Mallorie, a young mother who has not looked outside of her home in more than four years due to her fear of the unknown creatures that make anyone who sees them go insane. Flashing between the time when Mallorie first discovers she is pregnant while the epidemic seems far away and Mallorie is living with a group of people who share a common goal, and over four years later while Mallorie and her children attempt to escape their home in hopes of finding somewhere safer, Bird Box builds its tension slowly and lets you simmer in your questions; what is making these people go insane, and why are Mallorie and her children now completely alone?

The story itself is beautifully told, and builds incredible imagery throughout the novel. I particularly enjoyed the flashbacks between the two points in time. Knowing that Mallorie ends up alone leads to incredible suspense each time a new character is introduced or whenever the group attempts a riskier maneuver, leaving you wondering, is this it? Is this how they die? Josh Malerman also did a great job of showing the trajectory of the epidemic, starting from the beginning when reports of people going insane and killing themselves are countries away, up until people that Mallorie herself knows and cares for begin to suffer from the affliction themselves.

Because of the nature of the story, I think that Bird Box benefits from its audio form. The novel contains detailed descriptions of how the world outside feels and sounds, as whenever the characters go outside they are blindfolded. Hearing the words spoken aloud provides an interesting perspective- rather than seeing these descriptions for yourself, you are hearing them described to you. And because this book is so descriptive, being able to close your eyes and visualize the story unfolding adds an extra layer onto the story (and gives you a small idea of what it may be like to be a character in this world).

This book is dark; many of the characters have suffered from extreme tragedies prior to the part of their story told in Bird Box, and most suffer more while we are with them. However, if you are in the mood for another great apocalyptic thriller, I encourage you to give this one a try!

My rating: 4/5 stars.

This book reminded me a lot of The Fireman by Joe Hill, so if you are looking for a read-a-like this one may be for you! ( )
  Shelby_Kuzma | Mar 21, 2018 |
If you're looking for something that is fast-paced and just might give you an anxiety attack, Josh Malerman's debut novel Bird Box may be exactly what you need. Set in the very near future, Bird Box is a book that simultaneously takes place during and after the apocalypse. Human beings find their minds under assault by an unseen force, one that drives them toward homicidal and suicidal tendencies. The only way to remain safe is to never, ever open your eyes.

Imagine with me what living in a world, robbed suddenly of sight, might be like. We rely heavily on our senses and, as an avid reader, I highly value my ability to be able to see the written word. I can't even begin to fathom what it would be like to find myself forced into an eternally dark void, and never have I thought of a scenario in which I would choose to be blind.

In Bird Box, Malorie and her children aren't given that option. Stranded in a home that is not her own, and faced with dwindling supplies and a lack of social interaction with anyone but her two children, Malorie must embark on a dangerous mission to find a new, safer haven for her small family: only their destination isn't very close to them, and they are not alone. There's a fourth party traveling with them and they are helpless to identify the newcomer.

The entire story does not follow that journey alone, though. In fact, it simultaneously takes place prior to Malorie's endeavor, introducing us to an entire cast of characters ranging from lovable to untrustworthy; from the purely innocent to those whose madness goes beyond all help. Though I'm not a huge fan of the constant back and forth chronology (in fact, I find it to be extremely distracting), the manner in which Malerman reveals bits and pieces of his story is crucial to progression: it gives readers the opportunity to develop their own feelings for Malorie and how she handles her problems. I also found that the odd way in which he split the story kept me reading, if only because more often that not, I found myself wondering how or why something was the way it was presently if, at the beginning of the end, everything seemed to be headed in a totally different direction.

Like most stories that take place after the world as we know it has met its doom, whether by nuclear fallout, bio-warfare, or the collapse of government, Bird Box brings out the best, and more readily, the worst in people. They become desperate or panicked, sometimes to the point that their actions defy all logic: such as the voluntary or involuntary blinding of oneself to avoid madness. Perhaps I so easily love post-apocalyptic books for that reason alone. They have a habit of reminding us exactly how pathetic and disgusting our own race can be; how often we are willing to put ourselves first, despite the suffering of others, should the situation call for it. ( )
  EMJenkinson | Mar 20, 2018 |
Wow! What a story! I listened to the audiobook of this and it was an awesome listen. In this book the world has changed. It's no longer safe to open your eyes and there are monsters out and about. The story of Mallory trying to survive in this new world is eerie and provoking. This book is one of the creepiest books I've read in a while. Loved it! ( )
  Tiffy_Reads | Mar 19, 2018 |
Bird Box (272 pages)

When I was younger, my friends and I used to play a game we called “Hiding in the Dark”. The idea was simple: one of us would be blindfolded and then had to find the others who were hiding in a pitch black room. The thrill was, of course, to solely rely on your sense of touch and hearing to navigate your way around the room, avoid stubbing your toe on a piece of furniture, and find the others. Especially your ears would prove to be true lifesavers as they picked up faint breathing or small movements, helping you to locate your friends underneath desks or shelves. It was a fun, yet scary game to play as you quickly realized how much human beings depend on their eyes to survive in this world and how unsafe you felt when everything around you turns dark.

An experience that Malorie and her children know all too well in Josh Malerman’s horror thriller “Bird Box” as they desperately try to survive in a post-apocalyptic world. The novel, which was released in 2014 and is currently adapted into a movie, is set at a time when most of the human population has been eradicated by an unknown – and unnamed – entity. Just one glimpse at these otherworldly creatures is enough to turn friendly neighbors into homicidal maniacs, who kill everyone around them and eventually themselves.

The story is told from Malorie’s perspective, who, together with her two four-year old children, finally decides to leave the house they have lived in alone for the past four years and embarks on a dangerous journey across a river in the hopes of finding a safer and better place. Soon though, the 20-mile boat trip turns into a terrifying rollercoaster. Blindfolded, Malorie and her children not only have to fight off whatever is out there in complete darkness – relying on nothing but their instincts and remaining senses – but they also have to battle their own horrific and fearful imagination. Woven throughout the story are flashbacks into the past which give the reader and insight into how Malorie actually got to the point where pure desperation causes her to risk her and her children’s lives and leave everything safe behind. That is when the reader learns about a handful of other survivors, who once used to live in the house with Malorie and shared her hopelessness and fear.

Malerman’s narrative which is very reminiscent of McCormack’s “The Road” and whose horrific and terrifying elements often resemble those of Stephen King challenges the reader to envision darkness and angst instead of vivid images and color. Malerman has the amazing ability to convey the idea of hearing, not seeing, through the mere use of words, creating an environment that is chilling and constricting. There are moments when you can almost feel the weight and scratchiness of Malorie’s blindfold yourself, the sweat that collects around the nose, the stickiness of the skin, and you cannot help but want to rip it off so you can finally see the ever-present enemy. Knowing that this would mean the end of it all creates a heaviness and hopelessness that is usually only evoked by movies. The fact that Malerman manages to illicit the same response through the written word alone speaks for his great talent. A terrific debut.

RATING: ★★★★★ ( )
  mandkrue86 | Mar 4, 2018 |
Malerman overreaches a bit in his debut, which could use as much attention to the cast as to the mood, but the mood is chillingly effective.
added by zapzap | editA.V. Club, Tasha Robinson (May 14, 2014)
Malorie stands in the kitchen, thinking.

Most people ignored the outrageous reports on the news. But they became too frequent, they became too real. And soon, they began happening down the street. Then the Internet died. The television and radio went silent. The phones stopped ringing. And we couldn't look outside anymore. Malorie raises the children the only way she can; indoors. The house is quiet. The doors are locked, the curtains are closed, mattresses are nailed over the windows. They are out there. She might let them in. The children sleep in the bedroom across the hall. Soon she will have to wake them. Soon she will have to blindfold them. Today they must leave the house. Today they will risk everything.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:08 -0400)

In Bird Box, brilliantly imaginative debut author Josh Malerman captures an apocalyptic near-future world, where a mother and her two small children must make their way down a river, blindfolded. One wrong choice and they will die. And something is following them -- but is it man, animal, or monster?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,037,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible