The Passage by Justin Cronin

The Passage

by Justin Cronin

Series: The Passage Trilogy (1)

7,126529811 (3.9)1 / 554
    The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by Stephen King (Jacey25, drweb, smiteme)
    The Strain by Guillermo del Toro (kraaivrouw, smiteme, questionablepotato)
    kraaivrouw: Similar intentions and a lot more fun.
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (Scottneumann)
    World War Z by Max Brooks (divinenanny)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (Anonymous user)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (divinenanny)
    divinenanny: Post apocalyptic dystopia
    Under The Dome by Stephen King (jlparent)
    jlparent: The Passage reminded me greatly of "Under the Dome", with its intense look at how people cope in a 'new' world. Obviously it's also is hugely reminiscent of "The Stand" as already recommended.
    Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Both books are inventive dystopian novels of a future after a pandemic collapses civilization.
    The Walking Dead: Compendium One by Robert Kirkman (Jacey25)
    The Reapers Are the Angels by Alden Bell (BeckyJG)
    The Green Mile by Stephen King (Thomas.Taylor)
    Pure by Julianna Baggott (Suhani)
    The Girl With All the Gifts by M. R. Carey (debbiereads, wifilibrarian)
    Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    The Twelve by Justin Cronin (sturlington)
    sturlington: Well, you have to read the sequel!
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (readaholic12)
    readaholic12: post-apocalyptic multi-generational science fiction, cyclic history, human caused crisis
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan (ahstrick)
    The Dead Lands by Benjamin Percy (4leschats)
    4leschats: Both this books and the 2 in The Passage Trilogy (The Passage and The Twelve)address alterations in the natural universe brought on by post-apocalyptic changes.
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: This classic dystopian novel explores the world after an unspecified apocalypse. Like The Passage, Earth Abides involves both the scavenging of the remains of civilization rather than production and a journey to see how others have coped. No vampires, though.… (more)

English (519)  Dutch (7)  German (3)  Swedish (3)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (535)
The first third was amazing. I’m thinking my new favorite. Then it jumps 90 years in the future. New situations, new cast of characters. Sooooo boring. I don’t care about these people at all. What happened?

First part of the book - amazing. Next part - boring. Then towards the end, it picks up again and I like it. Once the characters leave the colony and start traveling across the country it becomes interesting again. But life in that colony - that part could have been left out. It didn't make me care about any of the people and really took me out of the story.

The end of the book was pretty depressing. Be prepared for almost everyone to die. Is there any hope? Who knows. There are two more books in this series. Will I read them? Maybe, but I am not seeking them out anytime soon. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
When YA fiction capitalizes every other Word to demonstrate how Important it is, I get irritated. It's stupid, but whatever. When adult fiction does the same thing, I lose my patience. Because seriously?

Also, the vampire apocalypse should not be boring. It is boring.

Did not finish
  miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
A 5 star, addictive book for over 750 pages, until a few confusing, cursory-feeling scenes at the end. Still, I'm looking forward to volume 2 of the trilogy. ( )
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
If you read this novel, don't blame me. I warned you. It was an experience well beyond the painful. It was a muddy field of bad writing, horrible plot devices and an enormous narrative leap which I found humiliating to endure. What is my excuse? I wish I could answer that. I was going to Miami and felt that I could coast through such while banking on Balzac for the more serious moments. That isn't sufficnt. Don't follow my error. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
A black-hole weekend novel to be sure, 'The Passage' is an apocalyptic novel that might surpass 'The Stand' in scope. The ultimate time-line looks like a thousand years. It's certainly imaginative.

There were a couple issues: it took a while for the story to pick up after the jump to Part IV (I think the journal entries were effective, if not ideal, bridges. Cronin came to depend on them too much I think.).

There were also quite a few Goosebumps-esque cliff-hanger chapter endings, which say a character is in mortal danger, or implied to have been killed, only to have everything turn out fine a few chapters later. Build some suspense, sure, but don't do it in a way that wears out any impact such situations can have.

But, despite this being more 'literate,' whatever, than your average apocalyptic novel, the bottom line is it was a lot of fun to read and the virals are a good build-off of the whole zombie/vampire explosion of the last few years. I'll definitely check out the next book when it appears.

Passage Trilogy

Next: 'The Twelve' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
I turned The Passage's pages feverishly to find out what happened next.
added by simon_carr | editThe Observer, Alice Fisher (Jul 18, 2010)

Cronin leaps back and forth in time, sprinkling his narrative with diaries, ­e-mail messages, maps, newspaper articles and legal documents. Sustaining such a long book is a tough endeavor, and every so often his prose slackens into inert phrases (“his mind would be tumbling like a dryer”). For the most part, though, he artfully unspools his plot’s complexities, and seemingly superfluous details come to connect in remarkable ways.

added by mks27 | editThe New York Times, Mike Peed (Jun 25, 2010)

When all's said and done, The Passage is a wonderful idea for a book that – like too many American TV series – knows how good it is and therefore outstays its welcome. There are enough human themes (hope, love, survival, friendship, the power of dreams) to raise it well above the average horror, but its internal battle between the literary and the schlock will, I

T MAY already have the Stephen King stamp of approval and the Ridley Scott movie-script treatment but American author Justin Cronin's 800-page blockbuster The Passage comes from humble beginnings.

"Every book starts somewhere and this came from a dare of a nine-year-old child," he says of his daughter Iris, who wanted a story where a young girl saves the world.

Justin Croninprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Craden, AbbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lanceniece, LigitaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ojo, AdenreleNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schroderus, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When I have seen by Time's fell hand defac'd
the rich proud cost of outworn buried age;
When sometimes lofty towers I see down-raz'd,
And brass eternal slave to mortal rage;
When I have seen the hungry ocean gain
Advantage on the kingdom of the shore,
And the firm soil win of the watery main,
Increasing store with loss, and loss with store;
When I have seen such interchange of state,
Or state itself confounded to decay;
Ruin hath taught me thus to ruminate
That Time will come and take my love away.

-William Shakespeare, Sonnet 64
For my children, No bad dreams.
Before she became the Girl from Nowhere- the One Who Walked In, the First and Last and Only, who lived a thousand years- she was just a little girl in Iowa, named Amy.
He stepped into the stars.

It's called Project NOAH: a secret government experiment designed to weaponize the human body. But this experiment goes horribly awry when twelve test subjects escape, spreading a virus that turns human beings into something else-something hungrier, deadlier, and seemingly undestructible. The thirteenth test subject, a six-year-old girl named Amy, is rescued by an FBI agent. Together they flee to the mountains of Oregon, cut off from civilization as the disastrous repercussions of Project NOAH are unleashed upon the world. The Passage creates an all-too-believable world dominated by fear and the need to survive, and introduces the strange and silent girl who may hold in her hands the fate of the human race.
Experiments run
On hardened criminals; what
could ever go wrong?
(cerebrumhabeo)

A security breach at a secret U.S. government facility unleashes the monstrous product of a chilling military experiment that only six-year-old orphan Amy Harper Bellafonte can stop.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Justin Cronin's book The Passage was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Cemetery Dance

An edition of this book was published by Cemetery Dance.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,659,308 books! | Top bar: Always visible