The Passage

by Justin Cronin

Series: The Passage Trilogy (1)

8,657610811 (3.89)1 / 581
A security breach at a secret U.S. government facility unleashes the monstrous product of a chilling military experiment that only six-year-old orphan Amy Harper Bellafonte can stop.
    The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by Stephen King (Jacey25, drweb, smiteme)
    The Strain by Guillermo del Toro (kraaivrouw, smiteme, questionablepotato)
    kraaivrouw: Similar intentions and a lot more fun.
    Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon (Scottneumann)
    World War Z by Max Brooks (divinenanny)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (Anonymous user)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (divinenanny)
    divinenanny: Post apocalyptic dystopia
    Under the Dome by Stephen King (jlparent)
    jlparent: The Passage reminded me greatly of "Under the Dome", with its intense look at how people cope in a 'new' world. Obviously it's also is hugely reminiscent of "The Stand" as already recommended.
    Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Both books are inventive dystopian novels of a future after a pandemic collapses civilization.
    The Green Mile by Stephen King (Thomas.Taylor)
    The Walking Dead: Compendium One by Robert Kirkman (Jacey25)
    The Girl with All the Gifts by M. R. Carey (debbiereads, wifilibrarian)
    The Reapers Are the Angels: A Novel by Alden Bell (BeckyJG)
    The Twelve by Justin Cronin (sturlington)
    sturlington: Well, you have to read the sequel!
    The Dead Lands: A Novel by Benjamin Percy (4leschats)
    4leschats: Both this books and the 2 in The Passage Trilogy (The Passage and The Twelve)address alterations in the natural universe brought on by post-apocalyptic changes.
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: This classic dystopian novel explores the world after an unspecified apocalypse. Like The Passage, Earth Abides involves both the scavenging of the remains of civilization rather than production and a journey to see how others have coped. No vampires, though.… (more)
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    Pure by Julianna Baggott (Suhani)
    The Chrysalids by John Wyndham (kw50197)
    Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda (aliklein)

English (592)  Dutch (7)  German (3)  Swedish (3)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (608)
I love a good vampire book. At the risk of sounding elitist I need to draw a line in the sand before beginning - Twilight is not a good vampire book. Sorry, it's just not. Vampires are monsters, they don't sparkle. Vampires should be the things in the dark that we fear the most. It should come down to a choice of which we'd rather make kissy face with, a vampire or a werewolf. I can't believe I even have to say that.

I had a professor in college (I miss Prof Dorgan) who said that in literature, vampires were a foil to that which the culture from which it emerges considers the most evil, the most morally corrupt.

It holds out pretty well, and it's a nice tool when approaching vampire literature. ... but not twilight.

Anyway, short review on The Passage. Amazing beginning. At about page 100 I was thinking this might be the best vampire book I've read since Anne Rice. Something big happens in the book (no spoilers) and a lot changes. Shortly after that change I almost quit reading. But things got better again. In the end, it was a good vampire book, but not a great one. I'll read the next in the series to see what happens

Okay, here come spoilers. Turn back now, you have been warned...

There were a lot of similarities to the Del Toro "The Strain" series. And a lot of similarities to The Walking Dead too. I wonder if it's an emerging theme. No longer the hidden vampires, but instead vampires as the tool of the apocalypse.

That part interests me, and I think there's an interesting conversation in there somewhere. But here's my qualm, vampires don't fit the 'end of the world' scenario as well as other creatures, like zombies for instance. And in both Del Toro's novel as well as The Passage, the vampires come off as a little... well... Zombie-ish. I like my vampires as solitary, nearly omnipotent nightmare hunters. Not as part of a rampaging horde. But that being said, The Passage and the concept of the Twelve, and the Many was an interesting way to have both. ( )
  WinterEgress | Dec 2, 2022 |
this book killed me. i enjoyed it a lot more than i expected to. it came in to my dreams, it also made me lose sleep (reading), it made me cry, and feel, and think. i also loved the writing style. my cup of tea, completely. ( )
  tuusannuuska | Dec 1, 2022 |
Thoroughly enjoyed it. Felt a lot like the stand, but it was a great character based novel, that was well written and a solid start to a series! ( )
  Brian-B | Nov 30, 2022 |
I loved it. Great story - nothing overwhelmingly new, but an artful combination of themes and techniques used separately in countless other stories. I found myself deeply committed to some of the characters, although when I try to look at the book objectively, I'm not sure that character development is Cronin's strongest skill. So I'm not quite sure what I found so compelling.

This book reminded me constantly of Stirling's Change series - the obvious parallel is that they're both post-apocalyptic fiction, but the similarities seem to stop there, so again - not quite sure what's behind the strength of my reaction.

In short, I found it totally enthralling - I've never plowed through that many pages in that few days. Can't wait for the remaining books and the movies!! ( )
  PlatinumWarlock | Nov 20, 2022 |
Hmm, a slightly...odd book this one. It starts well, and continues for a while, with the story of military experiments gone awry, and a small girl and the fbi agents sent to collect her for aforementioned experiments. I loved this section completely, all the set pieces were exciting and the characterisation was great, agents and nuns and criminals aplenty. Then something hits the fan and we jump to the next section of the book.

This bit is nearly 100 years later and gives us post-apocalypse fans some appeal. I liked the p-a world they sent us to, a colony of people rarely venturing out from behind the safety of their security lights, and I thought the link back to the past & tales from the original 'settlers' were done well. There was a lot of different characters in this settlement and gradually we get introduced to the warrior woman, the techhead, etc, all full of unrequited love and worried about how long their future will be secure. I did, however, find myself a little impatient for them to leave the colony, and even after finishing the book I'm not sure why we had so much emphasis on the thoughts & emotions of the people we never hear from again (but then, there's a sequel, so maybe that's why). I did feel like the bad guys (aka vampire-like 'virals') were done pretty well & were nicely creepy. Yes, proper scary things with teeth and swooping (swooping is bad, as I'm sure I've heard somewhere).

Eventually we left, and went forth on a road trip (THE ROAD trip, har-de-har), cue lots of old military bunkers to hide in, and a looong journey to find brothers - and themselves, obviously. It is a road trip. I thought some of this was good - finding old towns or ruins I enjoyed, and the creepy haven was enjoyable and exciting. I didn't mind them meeting up with the military but I'm not entirely sure what the point was, and why one of the main characters left to join the army...it seemed a little like needless space-filling.

From there to the end was...okay. The least exciting bit of the book, when surely the romp to the finish should be the *most* exciting? They never made it back home in the end of *this* book but I assume they've left it for a sequel, and the bad guys are still partially around but not in such a mind-stealing way, and generally...well, it was a bit of a let down in such a long book. You expect in big epic books like this to have all loose ends happily tied up and to be entirely satisfied, and while I would be happy to read more in the series I can't say I was entirely satisfied, at all.

Also, a nice dog dies and nobody cares much, and that's not on. ( )
  clairefun | Oct 30, 2022 |
I turned The Passage's pages feverishly to find out what happened next.
added by simon_carr | editThe Observer, Alice Fisher (Jul 18, 2010)

Cronin leaps back and forth in time, sprinkling his narrative with diaries, ­e-mail messages, maps, newspaper articles and legal documents. Sustaining such a long book is a tough endeavor, and every so often his prose slackens into inert phrases (“his mind would be tumbling like a dryer”). For the most part, though, he artfully unspools his plot’s complexities, and seemingly superfluous details come to connect in remarkable ways.

added by mks27 | editThe New York Times, Mike Peed (Jun 25, 2010)

When all's said and done, The Passage is a wonderful idea for a book that – like too many American TV series – knows how good it is and therefore outstays its welcome. There are enough human themes (hope, love, survival, friendship, the power of dreams) to raise it well above the average horror, but its internal battle between the literary and the schlock will, I

T MAY already have the Stephen King stamp of approval and the Ridley Scott movie-script treatment but American author Justin Cronin's 800-page blockbuster The Passage comes from humble beginnings.

"Every book starts somewhere and this came from a dare of a nine-year-old child," he says of his daughter Iris, who wanted a story where a young girl saves the world.

Justin Croninprimary authorall editionscalculated
Schroderus, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

When I have seen by Time's fell hand defac'd
the rich proud cost of outworn buried age;
When sometimes lofty towers I see down-raz'd,
And brass eternal slave to mortal rage;
When I have seen the hungry ocean gain
Advantage on the kingdom of the shore,
And the firm soil win of the watery main,
Increasing store with loss, and loss with store;
When I have seen such interchange of state,
Or state itself confounded to decay;
Ruin hath taught me thus to ruminate
That Time will come and take my love away.

-William Shakespeare, Sonnet 64
For my children, No bad dreams.
Before she became the Girl from Nowhere- the One Who Walked In, the First and Last and Only, who lived a thousand years- she was just a little girl in Iowa, named Amy.
He stepped into the stars.

It's called Project NOAH: a secret government experiment designed to weaponize the human body. But this experiment goes horribly awry when twelve test subjects escape, spreading a virus that turns human beings into something else-something hungrier, deadlier, and seemingly undestructible. The thirteenth test subject, a six-year-old girl named Amy, is rescued by an FBI agent. Together they flee to the mountains of Oregon, cut off from civilization as the disastrous repercussions of Project NOAH are unleashed upon the world. The Passage creates an all-too-believable world dominated by fear and the need to survive, and introduces the strange and silent girl who may hold in her hands the fate of the human race.
Experiments run
On hardened criminals; what
could ever go wrong?
(cerebrumhabeo)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Justin Cronin's book The Passage was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Cemetery Dance

An edition of this book was published by Cemetery Dance.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,206,165 books! | Top bar: Always visible