The Passage

by Justin Cronin

Series: The Passage Trilogy (1)

8,107587800 (3.88)1 / 574
A security breach at a secret U.S. government facility unleashes the monstrous product of a chilling military experiment that only six-year-old orphan Amy Harper Bellafonte can stop.
Recently added byprivate library, Ezra-Letson, rohnstrong, ericsmith8182, Colleen85, Julia_f, SydneyKaup, Rennie80
    The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by Stephen King (Jacey25, drweb, smiteme)
    The Strain by Guillermo del Toro (kraaivrouw, smiteme, questionablepotato)
    kraaivrouw: Similar intentions and a lot more fun.
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (Scottneumann)
    World War Z by Max Brooks (divinenanny)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (Anonymous user)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (divinenanny)
    divinenanny: Post apocalyptic dystopia
    Under the Dome: A Novel by Stephen King (jlparent)
    jlparent: The Passage reminded me greatly of "Under the Dome", with its intense look at how people cope in a 'new' world. Obviously it's also is hugely reminiscent of "The Stand" as already recommended.
    Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Both books are inventive dystopian novels of a future after a pandemic collapses civilization.
    The Green Mile by Stephen King (Thomas.Taylor)
    The Walking Dead: Compendium One by Robert Kirkman (Jacey25)
    The Girl with All the Gifts by M. R. Carey (debbiereads, wifilibrarian)
    The Reapers Are the Angels: A Novel by Alden Bell (BeckyJG)
    The Twelve by Justin Cronin (sturlington)
    sturlington: Well, you have to read the sequel!
    The Dead Lands: A Novel by Benjamin Percy (4leschats)
    4leschats: Both this books and the 2 in The Passage Trilogy (The Passage and The Twelve)address alterations in the natural universe brought on by post-apocalyptic changes.
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: This classic dystopian novel explores the world after an unspecified apocalypse. Like The Passage, Earth Abides involves both the scavenging of the remains of civilization rather than production and a journey to see how others have coped. No vampires, though.… (more)
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    Pure by Julianna Baggott (Suhani)
    The Chrysalids by John Wyndham (kw50197)
    Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda (aliklein)

English (573)  Dutch (7)  German (3)  Swedish (3)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (589)
This is a gigantic book. It's not a horrible book by any means, but it's not the instant classic everyone's touting it to be. It's got a great premise, and the writing, to be honest, is fantastic.

But it's also a loooooooong book. It could easily have been cut in half. When we first leave the "present" for the "future"...it just seems like talking heads for the next two hundred pages, before anyone decides to actually do something.

I loved the first part, even thought it starts with an almost immediate flashback/character history/no forward movement section as we learn a lot of stuff about Amy's mother that's truly not important to the plot. Still, the stuff in present day is really engaging.

I find when Cronin leaps ahead, he still has a solid grasp on this new, post-apocalyptic world he's created, but now he has to take hundreds of pages to show you each nook and cranny.

So, while I enjoyed the book...really, I did, even more so the second time through, I still wish editors still did what they used to do 40 years ago and demand large, sweeping cuts.

I think, when Stephen King first released The Stand, and famously had to cut something like 100K words--the size of an entire, normally-sized novel--out of the manuscript, the editors were doing him a favour. A decade later, when Stephen King had become STEPHEN KING, MOST RECOGNIZABLE AUTHOR ON THE PLANET, and was able to reintroduce those cut 100K words and re-release the book, while at the time I remember thinking, well all right! This is the way the man meant the novel to read.

Now, I go back to the original, heavily edited version, because it's vastly superior in terms of pacing and readability.

Anyway, I think after that incident, most editors were somehow seen as the bad guy who just wanted to hack up your work. A good editor will pare away all the stuff that isn't story, or isn't engaging.

All I'm saying is, Cronin needs that same editor. ( )
  TobinElliott | Sep 3, 2021 |
The reviews are true about this book becoming extremely slow in the middle but it is worth it if you stick it out. I believe the reason for the monotony is foster a reason to care for the good will of the characters. If you like "journey" type tales in the SF/Horror genre you will enjoy this book. [EDIT 11/23/10] - After thinking about this for a while I have changed my mind. If the irrelevant character development and poorly written chapter cliffhangers are not changed i will not read the sequel. I will wait for reviews before I decide. ( )
  Drunken-Otter | Aug 20, 2021 |
I liked the first third of the book, during which two FBI agents were collecting death row inmates and a young abandoned girl for use in secret government testing of a virus. Then all Hell breaks loose, and the book morphs into a post-apocalpse future where the government's virus has created killer-monsters and humanity is barely surviving in small enclaves. The story is OK, but Stephen King's The Stand is much better in this genre. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
I'm not sure I've ever had such mixed feelings about a book before.

First, as you might expect, oh my god it was TOO FUCKING LONG. I'm pissed that the three week slog of this thing will have the effect of lowering my total books read for 2015.

Second, I prefer my post-apocalypse without all the magical telepathy and mysticism. Yuck. I just can't buy into that version. I prefer my apocalypsi straight. Just life or death - no magical horse shit.

Third, there were TOO DAMN MANY poorly defined characters in the middle part who I didn't give a rat's about. TBH, I don't really think I cared that much about any of them. And there was a lot of time and place shifting that could have been clearer. I had a hard time picturing some of the locations.

Fourth - of course this 770 pager is just a prelude to the subsequent sequels. Yeah. I know. Really annoying. No satisfying ending after all that.

It was, however, very imaginative and to its credit, I did keep up till the end, even knowing it wasn't really an end. Argh. Don't think I'll pick up the sequels.

MuggleBorn930 | Jul 11, 2021 |
Stephen King's "The Stand," but with vampires. Fun, but I wish I'd found more things about it surprising. I can't quite decide whether or not to read the sequel. ( )
  qBaz | May 28, 2021 |
I turned The Passage's pages feverishly to find out what happened next.
added by simon_carr | editThe Observer, Alice Fisher (Jul 18, 2010)

Cronin leaps back and forth in time, sprinkling his narrative with diaries, ­e-mail messages, maps, newspaper articles and legal documents. Sustaining such a long book is a tough endeavor, and every so often his prose slackens into inert phrases (“his mind would be tumbling like a dryer”). For the most part, though, he artfully unspools his plot’s complexities, and seemingly superfluous details come to connect in remarkable ways.

added by mks27 | editThe New York Times, Mike Peed (Jun 25, 2010)

When all's said and done, The Passage is a wonderful idea for a book that – like too many American TV series – knows how good it is and therefore outstays its welcome. There are enough human themes (hope, love, survival, friendship, the power of dreams) to raise it well above the average horror, but its internal battle between the literary and the schlock will, I

T MAY already have the Stephen King stamp of approval and the Ridley Scott movie-script treatment but American author Justin Cronin's 800-page blockbuster The Passage comes from humble beginnings.

"Every book starts somewhere and this came from a dare of a nine-year-old child," he says of his daughter Iris, who wanted a story where a young girl saves the world.

Justin Croninprimary authorall editionscalculated
Schroderus, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

When I have seen by Time's fell hand defac'd
the rich proud cost of outworn buried age;
When sometimes lofty towers I see down-raz'd,
And brass eternal slave to mortal rage;
When I have seen the hungry ocean gain
Advantage on the kingdom of the shore,
And the firm soil win of the watery main,
Increasing store with loss, and loss with store;
When I have seen such interchange of state,
Or state itself confounded to decay;
Ruin hath taught me thus to ruminate
That Time will come and take my love away.

-William Shakespeare, Sonnet 64
For my children, No bad dreams.
Before she became the Girl from Nowhere- the One Who Walked In, the First and Last and Only, who lived a thousand years- she was just a little girl in Iowa, named Amy.
He stepped into the stars.

It's called Project NOAH: a secret government experiment designed to weaponize the human body. But this experiment goes horribly awry when twelve test subjects escape, spreading a virus that turns human beings into something else-something hungrier, deadlier, and seemingly undestructible. The thirteenth test subject, a six-year-old girl named Amy, is rescued by an FBI agent. Together they flee to the mountains of Oregon, cut off from civilization as the disastrous repercussions of Project NOAH are unleashed upon the world. The Passage creates an all-too-believable world dominated by fear and the need to survive, and introduces the strange and silent girl who may hold in her hands the fate of the human race.
Experiments run
On hardened criminals; what
could ever go wrong?
(cerebrumhabeo)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Justin Cronin's book The Passage was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Cemetery Dance

An edition of this book was published by Cemetery Dance.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,293,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible