dismiss

World War Z (2006)

by Max Brooks

12,358632334 (4)3 / 661
An account of the decade-long conflict between humankind and hordes of the predatory undead is told from the perspective of dozens of survivors who describe in their own words the epic human battle for survival.
Recently added byprivate library, tomepats, Count_Zero, wduncan, MaximusStripus, goliathonline, dan.and.anna.julian
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Feed by Mira Grant (Aerrin99, andreablythe, HenriMoreaux)
    Aerrin99: An awesome look at the world post-zombie-apocalypse with history, politics, and fantastic world building.
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (divinenanny)
    The Walking Dead, Volume 06: This Sorrowful Life by Robert Kirkman (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An awesome look at the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse in the longer term.
    The Stand {1978} by Stephen King (timspalding)
    Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson (timspalding)
    timspalding: Very similar style.
    The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham (infjsarah)
    infjsarah: Older sci-fi but still very effective. Survival against mindless, ever increasing enemy.
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (timspalding)
    Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry (stmartins)
    stmartins: Also a killer Zombie thriller and an awesome first book in the "Joe Ledger" series. Teaser and free prequal story avaiable at stmartins.com/JonathanMaberry
    Y: The Last Man Vol. 1: Unmanned by Brian K. Vaughan (MyriadBooks)
    Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler (storyjunkie)
    storyjunkie: Both are tales of how to survive a world gone mad, though there are no zombies in Butler's. Both works' treatment of the human questions are equally nuanced, variable, and detailed.
    Zone One by Colson Whitehead (ahstrick)
    Zombie CSU: The Forensics of the Living Dead by Jonathan Maberry (ShelfMonkey)
    And the Band Played On: Politics, People, and the AIDS Epidemic by Randy Shilts (timspalding)
    timspalding: Some may take offense at the suggestion, but I think don't think World War Z could have been written without And the Band Played On, an oral history of the all-too-real AIDS epidemic. Shilts' is by far the better book, even if it weren't true and important.… (more)
    The Three: A Novel by Sarah Lotz (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Speculative fiction, same piecey storytelling style.
    The Rising by Brian Keene (yoyogod)
    yoyogod: The Rising is probably my favorite zombie novel.
    Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist (ijustgetbored)
    ijustgetbored: A completely different take on zombies: here, they're not "out to get you," just beings who may or may not have souls, and Lindqvist treats all those related questions.
    Breathers: A Zombie's Lament by S. G. Browne (FFortuna)
    The Dogs of War: The Courage, Love, and Loyalty of Military Working Dogs by Lisa Rogak (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Yes, it's a history nonfiction being recommended for association with World War Z, but readers who enjoyed Darnell Hackworth's interview will love the true stories in this book.
    Day by Day Armageddon by J. L. Bourne (rcollett)
    rcollett: Great Books!
    Zombies of Byzantium by Sean Munger (meggyweg)

English (615)  French (7)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  Danish (2)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (631)
I was amused by Brooks' first book and curious to see this novel. The premise seemed on the surface somewhat mercenary, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt (anything for a good zombie story). But I was really disappointed. There is no character development, no engagement with the people involved, no emotion or sense of caring. My opinion is that zombie stories (and horror in general) is always, really, about the living, not the monsters. A good horror story is about what the people do when they are faced by monsters (who are generally one-note, not interesting after the first pages). One exception is Frankenstein, who is interesting precisely because he has human qualities that fight against his monstrous nature. But I didn't find that human connection in this book. ( )
  MaximusStripus | Jul 7, 2020 |
Well done, but I think I've lost interest in books whose theme is the brutal death of huge portions of the world's population. ( )
  AldusManutius | Jul 5, 2020 |
I have to say that a lot of people suggested that I listen to this book and what a great idea. I have to say that some of the voices sound a bit too stereotypical to my ears, but I really did enjoy listening to the so-called Zombie wars.

I will say that you really do have to listen to this book. It doesn't work well at all as a written novel. I had to switch over since I almost DNFed it at one point. Reading interviews and questions and answers doesn't work in the long term. Your brain after a while just doesn't care and you find it hard to concentrate. Or at least me. When I have to read through Congressional transcripts it's the worse. I like to listen to congressional meetings or attend in person cause you don't get to hear the nuance in people's voices.

I liked hearing about the so-called Patient Zero and how the virus spread and all of the places on the Earth that was touched. It was so scary reading about how the young boy's body was falling apart. I even got a little bit sick here and there listening to how cords had gone through his body to the bone. How cold his skin had gotten and how his blood now looked. When we hear about how the governments of the world even had a zombie protocol though it was surprising to me.

I did think the narrator (who was Max Brooks) was not that great. He sounded so weird to my ears. I think certain statements/questions he asked needed more passion in his voice or more feeling. It just felt like he was reading the phone book to me sometimes.

I was thrilled to figure out that one of the voices was Mark Hamill. He is the best!

I will say though that I wanted to read more about what people did when the outbreak happened, how they managed to get through it. This was definitely an oral history, but I felt like it was missing parts.

I did love the thinking that went into this by Max Brooks though. Cause it didn't even occur to me that zombies can just exist in water. That they don't need to breathe, so they can just hang out on the bottom of the ocean floor...forever. That the cold will stop them so heck move to a colder climate. Still not dead, but not real active anymore either. I also love how we learn about different things such as protocols, laws, how the world changed and new countries were formed, etc. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
I have no words!

I literally have no opinion about this book. I liked the journalistic style of it all & did enjoy all the wee accounts throughout but overall I don't feel neither here nor there about it. ( )
  kymisan | Jun 23, 2020 |
Compelling reading and in its way remarkably prescient
  MikeFARoberts | Jun 19, 2020 |

Reiner, CarlNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reiner, RobNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tran, DavidCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Has as a student's study guide

For Henry Michael Brooks,
who makes me want to change the world.
Bana dünyayı değiştirme isteği veren
Henry Michael Brooks için...
Introduction - It goes by many names: "The Crisis," "The Dark Years," "The Walking Plague," as well as newer and more "hip" titles such as "World War Z" or "Z War One."
Setting - Greater Chongqing, the United Federation of China
Chapter One - The first outbreak I saw was in a remote village that officially had no name.
'Fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe' Turn on the TV what are you seeing? People selling you products? No. People selling you the fear of you having to live without their products' Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells. pg 55 (edit)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,879,674 books! | Top bar: Always visible