Y: The Last Man Vol. 01: Unmanned

by Brian K. Vaughan, Pia Guerra (Illustrator), José Marzán Jr. (Illustrator)

Series: Y: The Last Man (1)

In the summer of 2002, a plague of unknown origin destroyed every last sperm, fetus, and fully developed mammal with a Y chromosome-with the apparent exception of one young man and his male pet. This "gendercide" instantaneously exterminated 48% of the global population, or approximately 2.9 billion men. Now, aided by the mysterious Agent 355, the last human male Yorick Brown must contend with dangerous extremists, a hoped-for reunion with a girlfriend on the other side of the globe, and the search for exactly why he's the only man to survive.… (more)
    The Walking Dead, Volume 01: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman (stephmo)
    stephmo: If you enjoy the sudden "end of the world as we know it" aspect of Y, The Walking Dead is another great series. This time, a virus leaves the majority of the world as zombies. This series concentrates on the basic aspects of survival.
    World War Z by Max Brooks (MyriadBooks)
    Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Vol. 1 by Fumi Yoshinaga (MyriadBooks)
    The Unwritten Vol. 01: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity by Mike Carey (Percevan)
    A Brother's Price by Wen Spencer (MyriadBooks)

English (102)  Dutch (1)  All languages (103)
This is an interesting concept, but I vastly underestimated how painful it would be to immerse myself in a world where all but one of the men have died. (No men around? What? But...I'd miss them. Can't we just fix it? Bring 'em all back? I don't want to be alone with millions of women....) I'll probably try reading at least the next volume, but beyond that I make no promises. ( )
  slimikin | Mar 27, 2022 |
Everyone seems to love this, so I'm relieved that I like it pretty well. All the males in the world drop dead except this one schlub, Yorick; the world carries on, sort of; Yorick is on the run looking for his girlfriend; various people think they know what's really going on; cultists and pirates and spies, oh my. It's a lot of fun, I just wish it were better.

Vaughan is ambitious for sure. It seems like he's been wanting for years to write science fiction and romance and sociology and secret agents and ninjas, and he picked a pretty good excuse to throw them all in. He keeps coming up with non-obvious corollaries to the removal of men (Israel now has the largest army; there are almost no Republicans in Congress; etc.), and he's also got a big stash of interesting facts you should know, which some character happens to mention every so often - it's clumsy, there might as well be a "Today's Lesson" caption, but it all more or less fits. And keeping half a dozen subplots in the air at once lets him cut to somewhere else whenever things slow down.

That said - he writes really, really cheesy dialogue. Yorick spouts one-liners every ten seconds, like everyone under 40 does on TV; eventually Vaughan fills in a little background for why he seems so stupid, but still. The evil cult leader is so unconvincing that Vaughan had to make up a hilarious coincidence to explain how one of the main characters instantly fell under her spell. Nitpickers will find more to complain about - my main beef was that no "plague" would kill billions of people at the very same second, which Vaughan obviously knows (as of book 6, he's still playing with the mystery of what the hell happened) but almost no one in the book figures out.

Pia Guerra's art is OK, and has more attention to details of real-world things and places than in most adventure titles these days, but it's kind of bland: there's a generic Hollywood look to a lot of the people, and almost no use of shadow. It gets more interesting after the first few books. ( )
  elibishop173 | Oct 11, 2021 |
Excellent. This was a re-read, so I'm not going to say much. What a wonderful series, though, and the one that opened my eyes to non-Alan Moore comics/graphic narrative. ( )
  allan.nail | Jul 11, 2021 |
DNF 33%.

Good art and interesting concept, BUT ... All the men in the world are dead except one and he, naturally, is the main character. The female characters are drawn very male-gaze. All the women are curvy AF with teensy-weensy waists including the one who is starving and hasn't eaten in a week. Racist, transphobic, and sexist statements are made and left unaddressed, and apparently none of the women left are able to do anything useful at all to keep the world going. ( )
1 vote Zoes_Human | Jan 31, 2021 |
A fantastic opening act. Very tense. ( )
  nitemice | Dec 28, 2020 |
The ethics of cutting-edge science are at the forefront of the story as well, as will be, I imagine, a conflict between the emotional and ecological sides of sexuality.

Brian K. Vaughanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Guerra, PiaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Marzán Jr., JoséIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Something's wrong!
Volume 1 Softcover, Unmanned, is a separate work from the deluxe Book 1 hardcover edition. Book 1 contains the chapters found in Volume 1 and Volume 2 of the softcover editions.
This entry has the title of Volume 1 but the ISBN of Volume 4, so I have chosen to keep it separate from both.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,689,668 books! | Top bar: Always visible