Parasite

by Mira Grant

Series: Parasitology (1)

Genetically engineered tapeworms that protect most of the human populace from illness, boost everyone's immune system, and even secrete designer drugs begin to change and want out of human bodies they occupy.
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (4leschats)
    4leschats: Similar premise of science/medicine gone wrong and a focus on female protagonist.

There was a lot to like about this book. For me, a big plus was the kind of a creepy suspense. You know there are secrets. You can guess at some. But the narrator is somewhat naive and we don't know who to trust. That was fun.

There were some things not to like as well. For example, coincidences that were just too much to be believed. For example - minor spoiler - the boyfriend, Dr. Kim, is a doctor and parasitologist. He has fallen for a young woman with amnesia (no memory, zero - had to relearn to speak and walk) who is essentially 6 years old. I kept wondering how does he fit? What's the angle? Well, at least in this novel, no angle. He is just a doting boyfriend. He's a handy character that helps Sal in understanding the "sleeping sickness" but is not apparently in league with any of the parties to the mystery. Hmph. Not my favorite part of the story.

All in all, it kept me hooked. Entertaining, for sure. ( )
  sbecon | Jun 30, 2021 |
Nauseating but good.

Mira Grant seems to have two modes- blindingly creative and blatantly obvious. In the first mode, the story and characters are almost a secondary thing to the world building that is going on. In the second, its a mystery with the world's most badly hidden plot twists. This book sort of straddles the two worlds. A neat idea combined with a really obvious twist.

But you need to have a strong, strong, did I mention strong stomach to read this one. No gore but nonetheless, its a pretty gulpy read. ( )
  frfeni | Jan 31, 2021 |
Could not put down. Can't wait for the next one! ( )
  jenbooks | Oct 5, 2020 |
It was alright!
Not good enough that I want to immediately read the next one, but I'll likely seek it out sometime in the future when I don't have other stuff to read.
The story was interesting, it's a different take on zombies, even if some bits of it were predictable. All the characters sound the same, and when that happens I imagine that's just what the author sounds like. It was fine, because I like her sense of humour, but I like it when characters can be more individual. ( )
  katebrarian | Jul 28, 2020 |
This was more than a well-crafted suspense novel. The world-building was very reinforced, perhaps too-much so in one direction, but the effect was pleasing. Snippets of interviews and the children's book sufficed to creep me out consistently. As for the main character, I was generally just fine with the idea that she was a six year old in a 26 year old body for a very good reason. She was super naive. That's fine for a character, but it did give the readers a bit of breathing space. Omniscient view means less surprise, but that's okay when you're setting up a much larger scene for the next novels.

The novel tries to be several things at once, and that's always a hard task, but I think it succeeds wonderfully. Suspenseful science fiction with a twist that was only surprising to the main character. I think it was intentional. The idea was telegraphed dozens of times, after all, and it gave the feeling of absolute inevitability. The novel couldn't have gone anywhere else in the mind of the reader, and I'm great with that. It hammered the nail in the coffin.

I might be sounding a little bit like I didn't enjoy the novel by the way I'm not gushing over it, but the truth is very different. I loved it. It had the big reveal with the lead-in for much bigger things to come, and that's always satisfying. Knowing the author's style, I can expect a much more fantastic rabbit trick in the next novels, and I have faith that she will pull it off with panache.

If I'm at all subdued in the review, it's because the tension has not been relieved in the slightest. I'm still in the novel and unable to move on.

That's a good thing, right?

bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |

Mira Grantprimary authorall editionscalculated
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

For Melissa and Rachel.  You are very good sisters.
The recording is crisp enough to look like a Hollywood film, too polished to be real.

"Don't go out alone"
Or else...we all need friends and fam'ly.
Does my tapeworm count?
(pickupsticks)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,407,483 books! | Top bar: Always visible