The Green Mile by Stephen King

The Green Mile (1996)

by Stephen King

8,671118351 (4.23)1 / 262
    Different Seasons by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: If you enjoyed The Green Mile, you should read King's novella Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, contained in this collection.

English (116)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  All (118)
I was NOT ready for this! Totally my favorite Stephen King novel until now, I haven't encountered such emotion yet in any of his novels that I've read. ( )
  Denicbt | Feb 5, 2018 |
The Green Mile - Stephen King *****

Most people have seen the brilliant Tom Hanks film, but I wonder how many realised it was based on a Stephen King novel. Originally released as a series of 6 small volumes it is now readily available as a standalone novel.

This is one of those King books that deviates away from his usual blood and guts themes (although there is still enough to make you squirm at times), pretty much in the same genre as ‘The Body’ & ‘Shawshank Redemption’ the Green Mile is a more homely tale than we are used to from the pen of horror master King. Personally I prefer these types of novels from him and as usual the characterisation is second to none. The basic plot is that we follow a state penitentiary, in particular the death row wing (known as The Green Mile). John Coffey is imprisoned there and awaits death by the electric chair, he strikes up varying relationships with the guards and soon they become aware of his strange and supernatural power, what good can that power be used for? And is it enough to save its possessor.

It was hard to believe that it was over 500 pages long, as I literally flew through it. This is easily in my top 3 King novels and probably in my top 20 overall. When he wants to, King can write some really moving prose I can guarantee this book will have you reflecting on so many different emotions, it will make you go from happy to sad in only a few lines. The Green Mile is a good place to start for those that may be a bit wary about the content or may have been aware of his occasion dodgy endings. ( )
  Bridgey | Dec 27, 2017 |
I remember reading this one when it was first released as a series of chapbooks, one every month for six months. I bought each one as it came out and devoured it, waiting impatiently until the next installment would be released.The storyline is one of King's best, about the experiences of the "bull goose screw" on E Block, death row at a Southern prison in 1932, and the three condemned prisoners who change his life forever.

I re-read this one now because it's next month's selection in my RL book club. Unbelievably, I could only find 5 of the 6 little paperbacks from that original edition on my shelves — where on earth could the last one be?! So I had to resort to listening to the audiobook, which was pretty good despite a narrator whose voice was fairly grating to me. He had a way of speaking the non-dialogue text in a sort of clenched-teeth half-whisper that was like fingernails on a chalkboard after a while. Fortunately the story was strong enough to keep me listening all the way to the end. ( )
  rosalita | Nov 26, 2017 |
Loved this entire book series - Loved this mini-series - Loved how they portrayed the characters etc ... Great storyteller! ( )
  KPhotoWrtr2 | Sep 12, 2017 |
Wow. Just wow. I knew it was going to be good but I should also know that King usually exceeds expectations. Brilliant storytelling. ( )
  cknick | Dec 14, 2016 |
This happened in 1932, when the state penitentiary was still at Cold Mountain.
Atonement was powerful; it was the lock on the door you closed against the past.
This isn't actually just one volume, but a collection of six separate parts of the whole...

At Cold Mountain Penitentiary, along the lonely stretch of cells known as the Green Mile, killers await death, whilst their guards watch over them. Good or evil, innocent or guilty, none of them have ever seen the likes of brutal new prisoner John Coffey, seemingly a devil in human form.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671041789, Mass Market Paperback)

This novel taps into what Stephen King does best: character-driven storytelling. The setting is the small "death house" of a Southern prison in 1932. The charming narrator is an old man looking back on the events, decades later. Maybe it's a little too cute, maybe the pathos is laid on a little thick, but it's hard to resist the colorful personalities and simple wonders of this supernatural tale. As Time magazine put it, "Like the best popular art, The Green Mile has the courage of its cornier convictions ... the palpable sense of King's sheer, unwavering belief in his tale is what makes the novel work as well as it finally does." And it's not a bad choice for giving to someone who doesn't understand the appeal of Stephen King, because the one scene that is out-and-out gruesome can be easily skipped by the squeamish. The Green Mile was nominated for a 1997 Bram Stoker Award.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:28 -0400)

Welcome to Cold Mountain Penitentiary, home to the Depression-worn men of E Block. Convicted killers all, each awaits his turn to walk the Green Mile, keeping a date with "Old Sparky," Cold Mountain's electric chair. Prison guard Paul Edgecombe has seen his share of oddities in his years working the Mile. But he's never seen anyone like John Coffey, a man with the body of a giant and the mind of a child, condemned for a crime terrifying in its violence and shocking in its depravity. In this place of ultimate retribution, Edgecombe is about to discover the terrible, wondrous truth about Coffey, a truth that will challenge his most cherished beliefs ... and yours.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,919,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible