When a teacher at an English boarding school finds a note on his desk accusing someone in the class of being a witch, magical things begin to happen and an Inquisitor is summoned.

Part of my re-read of older books. While still as good as I remember, I discovered that my impression of the main character, Charles, is vastly different from what I remember the first time. I liked him the first go around, but this time, he came across as a little brat - and yes, he's a real brat. ( )
  fuzzipueo | Apr 24, 2022 |
Possibly my favorite in the series. Much less Chrestomanci but I really like the characters particularly Nan Pilgrim. I also find the state of things at the beginning of the book in regards to the class hierarchy pretty accurate to my own 6th grade experience (I was unfortunately Nan in that instance) which I've always found interesting. ( )
  mutantpudding | Dec 26, 2021 |
"Somebody in this room is a witch". In a world where people a burnt for witchcraft, this is a very serious accusation, but it rightly sets the scene in this wonderful little novel. ( )
  Kat_books | Nov 9, 2021 |
What if they still burned witches--and you just discovered that you were a witch?
  BLTSbraille | Oct 1, 2021 |
Clever, clever.
Diana Wynne Jones always has that effect on me. She seems to be emotionally distant, though. I'm not sure that I would like her as a person. But she is clever! ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |

Jones, Diana Wynneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
IonicusCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Newbold, GregCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, Jos. ACover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, TimIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The note said: someone in this class is a witch.

A parallel world
where they persecute witches
and children aren't safe.
(ed.pendragon)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,707,030 books! | Top bar: Always visible