HomeGroupsTalkExploreZeitgeist
Search Site
This site uses cookies to deliver our services, improve performance, for analytics, and (if not signed in) for advertising. By using LibraryThing you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your use of the site and services is subject to these policies and terms.
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Loading...

Mio, My Son (1955)

by Astrid Lindgren

Other authors: See the other authors section.

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
8431121,013 (4.06)13
Young Anders is carried away from his bleak life as an unloved foster child in Stockholm, Sweden, to become Mio, son of the King of Farawayland.
  1. 30
    The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren (ecureuil)
  2. 20
    Momo by Michael Ende (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both are lovely, poignant children's books with plenty of adventure and a good deal of emotional resonance.
  3. 00
    Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling (andejons)
    andejons: Both are excellent adventure stories about mistreated orphan boys who suddenly find themselves in a magical world that they have to defend from an unspeakable evil, with the aid of new friends and invisibility cloaks.
  4. 00
    The Lost Children by Carolyn Cohagan (infiniteletters)
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 13 mentions

English (6)  Swedish (2)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (11)
Showing 1-5 of 6 (next | show all)
While Astrid Lindgren is better known for her cute children's tales, she did venture into High Fantasy with this novel and "The Brothers Lionheart".
The narrator here is Karl Anders Nilsson, an unhappy fosterchild in an unloving household. He yearns for the happy homelife of his friend, with an affable and kind hearted father.
And then a chance discovery of a genie in a beer bottle in a lonely Stockhom park sees him transported to a magical world.
Very much in the vein of CS Lewis' 'Narnia', this is a fantasy world in which the adult reader sees a strong parallel with the Christian message. Karl Anders is adopted by an utterly loving King...but while his new life is magical, he soon learns of a dark world ruled by evil Sir Kato; a world which intrudes on his own as children are snatched away to that grim world, leaving bereft family. Karl Anders and his friend decide to go and fight Kato.
Truly lovely tale that references the Resurrection (as the Bewitched Birds are turned back into lost children); Jesus' elevation in status after His death
(as the King remarks "Mio, my son, I do believe you've grown while you've been away! I think we shall have to put a fresh mark on the kitchen door tonight." )
and most of all the relationship between Father and Son:
"then I saw my father the King! He was standing in the very same place where I had left him when I rode away...He was standing with his arms stretched out toward me, and I threw myself into them and put my arms tightly round his neck, and he held me close and whispered "Mio, my son!"
You see, my father the King loves me, and I love my father, the King."

Can be read as pure fiction or with an awareness of the underlying message. Lovely story. ( )
  starbox | Oct 8, 2020 |
“Om inte döden vore så svår så svår, och om vi inte vore så små och ensamma.”

Min första reaktion är att bara säga "ååh, åååh" men det känns som boken faktiskt förtjänar lite mer än det, so here goes.

Mio, min Mio har varit en av mina favoriter sedan jag var liten, och det vore lögn att säga att det inte fanns en mysig nostalgi i att läsa den nu - och tänka tillbaka på när jag var liten och mamma läste den för mig om kvällarna. Men det vore också lögn att inte betona att mycket av magin faktiskt tillhör boken själv också. Det är inte endast nostalgi som trollbinder, utan även det där magiska som just Astrid ofta har i sina berättelser.

För en pojke som alltid drömt sig bort så har jag alltid känt igen mig i Mio, även om jag faktiskt haft lika bra föräldrar som konungen sedan första dagen, och inte minst i och med att vi delar ett namn - även om det bara var hans namn för att de inte visste att hans fader konungen redan gett honom ett namn.

Jag har sett några recensioner som påpekar att det går fort fram i boken, och det kan jag hålla med om. Dock ser jag det inte som något negativt, vilket de flesta andra verkar göra. Jag hade inte haft något problem med lite saktare tempo och mer story, men jag tycker inte att det saknas spänning eller anknytning till karaktärerna. Utan jag gillar att den påminner mycket om äldre folksagor på det sättet. Det är ett spännande äventyr samtidigt som den är så... Astrid-ig. De finns få som kan skriva karaktärer som henne.

Därtill kan jag vill tillägga att det var intressant att notera hur mycket som faktiskt liknar Tolkiens Sagan om Ringen (eller hur mycket Sagan om Ringen liknar Mio, min Mio... speciellt med tanke på att de kom ut ungefär samtidigt.) ( )
  autisticluke | Nov 14, 2019 |
En tidlös berättelse som inte väjer för svåra känslor, som visar tilltro till barns förmåga och som inger hopp och tröst.
  gottelisa | Sep 10, 2012 |
Not the best of Astrid Lindgren that I've read. Clearly one of the early books. The beginning of the magic is there but the characters are rather superficial and the pace of the storytelling is slow. the best part starts in the middle of the book when Mio has to take action.
I did like the basic sentiments about friendship and love in this book. ( )
  dizzmleen | May 8, 2012 |
This is a book about fairly tales. Mio and his father take timeless adventures and travels. The adventures and travels are good and sometimes bad and filled with good and evil. The overall story is great and will want you ready to take a trip!
  DBPeeples | Mar 9, 2010 |
Showing 1-5 of 6 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review

» Add other authors (36 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Lindgren, Astridprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Turner, MarianneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wikland, IlonIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
First words
Did you listen to the radio on the fifteenth of October last year?
Quotations
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Original language
Canonical DDC/MDS
Canonical LCC

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (2)

Young Anders is carried away from his bleak life as an unloved foster child in Stockholm, Sweden, to become Mio, son of the King of Farawayland.

No library descriptions found.

Book description
Haiku summary

Legacy Library: Astrid Lindgren

Astrid Lindgren has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Astrid Lindgren's legacy profile.

See Astrid Lindgren's author page.

Popular covers

Quick Links

Rating

Average: (4.06)
0.5
1 1
1.5
2 8
2.5 4
3 33
3.5 4
4 76
4.5 11
5 66

 

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,871,256 books! | Top bar: Always visible