The Witches by Roald Dahl

The Witches (1983)

by Roald Dahl

English (149)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (2)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  All languages (159)
I saw the movie adaptation of The Witches when it came out in theaters, and in fact I was roughly the same age as the narrator at the time the movie came out. Maybe that's why the movie terrified me so very much when I saw it. There's something about this story that just disturbs me, whether it be the horrible faces of the witches or the terrible transformations involved.

It's interesting reading this one having not revisited the movie since I first saw it back in 1990. Most of it still sticks with me, but I can't quite remember everything, so it's hard to know for sure what stayed and what was changed from book to movie. Reading the book, of course, makes me all the more interested in rewatching the movie. I just hope I can control the terror I felt during my initial viewing all those years ago. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Mar 12, 2019 |
I don't always go in for Roald Dahl, but I'm liking this one, in part because I like stories for kids that would scare kids. ( )
  ReadMeAnother | Jan 21, 2019 |
A recently orphaned boy and his beloved old Norwegian grandmother take on the witches convention of England and the Grand High Witch of all the World, in a sweet, sad story. ( )
  quondame | Aug 6, 2018 |
This book is a treasure, and I love that my job requires in-depth knowledge of its contents. ( )
  thishannah | Jul 17, 2018 |
Well.

This got dark.

I'd be very curious to see how a person's reaction to the book and the ending itself changes as they grow older. This book was surprisingly creepy, surprisingly sad, and surprisingly troublesome when it comes to the ending. I've heard good things about the film, but I'm uncertain how they treat the final scenes in it?

I'd read this book to my children, should I have any. I'd watch them not sleep for months. But that's true of most [a:Roald Dahl|4273|Roald Dahl|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1311554908p2/4273.jpg] stories, innit? ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |

Richardson, MirandaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vriesendorp, HuberteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Boy / The Witches / Matilda by Roald Dahl

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory / The Witches / Fantasic Mr. Fox / The Twits / James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl

Matilda / Fantastic Mr. Fox / The Witches / The BFG by Roald Dahl

Roald Dahl Omnibus: The Witches / Esio Trot / The Twits / The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me by Roald Dahl

Roald Dahl 6-Book Boxed Set: The Witches, George's Marvelous Medicine, The Twits, Esio Trot, Matilda, The BFG by Roald Dahl

Gsx: Dahl 10 Copy Audio Set in Zipped Tin (Tbp) by Roald Dahl

Has the adaptation

For Liccy
In fairy-tales, witches always wear silly black hats and black cloaks, and they ride on broomsticks.

But this is not a fairy-tale. This is about REAL WITCHES.
Unknown if book or movie

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014241011X, Paperback)

"This is not a fairy tale. This is about real witches." So begins one of Roald Dahl's best books ever, and, ironically, it is such a great story because the premise is perfectly plausible from the outset. When the narrator's parents die in a car crash on page two (contrast this terribly real demise with that of James's parents who are devoured by an escaped rhinoceros in James and the Giant Peach), he is taken in by his cigar-smoking Norwegian grandmother, who has learned a storyteller's respect for witches and is wise to their ways.

The bond between the boy and his grandmother becomes the centerpiece of the tale--a partnership of love and understanding that survives even the boy's unfortunate transformation into a mouse. And once the two have teamed up to outwitch the witches, the boy's declaration that he's glad he's a mouse because he will now live only as long as his grandmother is far more poignant than eerie.

Of course, there's adventure here along with Dahl's trademark cleverness and sense of the grotesque. Dahl also communicates some essential truths to children: if they smoke cigars, they'll never catch cold, and, most importantly, they should never bathe, because a clean child is far, far easier for a witch to smell than a dirty one. (Ages 7 to 10, or read aloud to younger children)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:50 -0400)

A young boy and his Norwegian grandmother, who is an expert on witches, together foil a witches' plot to destroy the world's children by turning them into mice.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014180596X, 0141322640, 0141807822

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,353,424 books! | Top bar: Always visible