The Witches (1983)

by Roald Dahl

A young boy and his Norwegian grandmother, who is an expert on witches, together foil a witches' plot to destroy the world's children by turning them into mice.

English (169)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (2)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (182)
Great read at Halloween! I really enjoy Roald Dahl's writing and his ability to capture his audience in the story. One of my third grade classrooms is currently reading this as well, and I had heard bits of it in the past from another third grade classroom. Quote by the grandson: "It doesn't matter who you are or what you look like so long as somebody loves you." ( )
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |
Honestly, the random and inconsistent sound effects killed this for me, throwing me out of what seemed to be a good story. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Feb 14, 2022 |
Some booklists call it a children’s book but I’m not sure that I would buy it for just any child. Some it would scare the kids to death and make them fodder for Dr. Phil. Roald Dahl never seems to doubt that children already know a great deal about witches. Like the grandmother in the story, Dahl says children don't require extreme coddling...nor is he timid about using fear to tell a story. Again I ‘m not sure that it’s a thing that just any child could handle. There are always some truths in fairy tales...most were written to teach a lesson. Dahl obviously believes that monsters can exist in a way that allows children to face their fears... not sure I agree with that either. I found this to be a rather strange book. Maybe something was lost in the translation. I love horror stories and ghost stories...but from a child’s viewpoint...I think I would find this very disturbing. ( )
  Carol420 | Jan 20, 2022 |
All the love! ( )
  bookdrunkard78 | Jan 6, 2022 |
I'm changing my rating on this one because I'm just now remembering how traumatizing I found this book as a child... And that's without ever seeing the movie. *shudders* ( )
  bookwyrmqueen | Oct 25, 2021 |

ATB (127)

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

For Liccy
In fairy-tales, witches always wear silly black hats and black cloaks, and they ride on broomsticks.

But this is not a fairy-tale. This is about REAL WITCHES.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014180596X, 0141322640, 0141807822

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,553,408 books! | Top bar: Always visible