Gregor the Overlander (2003)

by Suzanne Collins

Series: Underland Chronicles (1)

4,6561931,995 (3.98)146
When eleven-year-old Gregor and his two-year-old sister are pulled into a strange underground world, they trigger an epic battle involving men, bats, rats, cockroaches, and spiders while on a quest foretold by ancient prophecy.

English (186)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (192)
I thought I would give this story a try since I was so enthralled with the Hunger Games Series. I wasn't impressed with the first chapter, but loved the book from there. Suzanne really knows how to write charming characters and help you feel emotion for people, animals, and insects that you didn't think you would care for. I really enjoyed this book and plan to read the rest of the series. ( )
  MBTC | Jul 9, 2022 |
It lost me a giant cockroaches. I fucking hate cockroaches. I grew up in assorted homes infested with them, and I just cannot get behind any kind of cockroaches. It brings back bad memories and skeeviness. DNF @ giant cockroaches. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Jun 26, 2022 |
the whole family really enjoyed this fantasy adventure story that had a couple of unexpected twists and turns. it was well written and engaging. a nice debut with good messaging throughout. i wasn't expecting to get on board with the giant bats, roaches, rats, and spiders but it was okay in the end. (probably i wasn't picturing them as i should have been.)

this was a fun story. we will read on. ( )
  overlycriticalelisa | Jun 9, 2022 |
Re-read it with my 7-year old son. He loved it! Yeah! ( )
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |

Suzanne Collinsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Boehmer, PaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Craig, DanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To, VivienneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mom and dad
Gregor had pressed his forehead against the screen for so long, he could feel a pattern of tiny checks above his eyebrows.
He could never hate people very long because he always ended up finding out something sad about them that he had to factor in. [p. 146]

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,547,224 books! | Top bar: Always visible