The Alchemyst (2010)

by Michael Scott

Series: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel (1)

While working at pleasant but mundane summer jobs in San Francisco, fifteen-year-old twins, Sophie and Josh, suddenly find themselves caught up in the deadly, centuries-old struggle between rival alchemists, Nicholas Flamel and John Dee, over the possession of an ancient and powerful book holding the secret formulas for alchemy and everlasting life.… (more)

English (208)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  All languages (215)
hb
  5083mitzi | Jan 1, 2022 |
I was encouraged to read this by some of my colleagues, but doubted that I would like it. I was wrong. The story was about twin brother and sister Josh and Sophie who accidentally stumble on a magical battle occurring between Nicholas Flamel and Dr. John Dee. Nicholas's wife is kidnapped by Dee. What follows is a series of events and the appearance of several characters all based in some form of international mythology. Josh and Sophie find themselves playing a large roll due to the fact that they are the magical twins whose coming was foretold in a prophecy. Along with Flamel's wife, Dee manages to steal the Codex or magic book that he will use to bring forth the end of the human world allowing the Dark Elders to return to rule the planet forcing humans to be slaves or food. I enjoyed the pacing of this story and the ability of the author to incorporate so much mythology from all around the world. I look forward to reading the next book in the series, The Magician. ( )
  ftbooklover | Oct 12, 2021 |
Once I got rolling on this one, it really took off. It keeps up the suspense throughout, and there aren't too many lulls in the action. It's one of those stories that actually leaves you tired afterward because it can really get your blood pumping in the middle. Sophie and Josh can get a little irritating at times, and there are a lot of repetitive incredulous reactions (how many times can one book say I wouldn't have believed it this morning, but...), but the action is the real key here. It'll carry many a fantasy reader through all that drama fluff. ( )
  matthewbloome | Sep 12, 2021 |
Good stuff for the Harry Potter/fantasy crowd. More like the early books, without the unecessary length and scariness that JK Rowling thought she needed to attract adults. Book jumps off to a fast start and did not slow down. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Despite coming highly recommended, this book didn't grab me. It may have been just been poor timing on my part, but I wasn't able to get through it in the time allotted on the Kindle loan. I definitely would have finished it though if I'd been able to extend the loan.
  jlweiss | Apr 23, 2021 |
The immortal Michael Scott, John Dee and the dark elders have been fighting for a long time for the most magical book ever created. The book of Abraham the mage or the codex. If john Dee and the dark elders has the book in their hands it would be chaos. Josh and Sophie Newman are the twins from the prophecy so that means that they are the saviors of the earth. Josh's aura is pure gold and Sophie's aura is pure silver. while josh and Sophie had gone to hekates shadow realm to be awakened (to use power from your auras). Sophie and josh had to be awakened so Sophie had gone first and as the ending of Sophie's awakening john Dee had started war in hekates shadow realm. hekate had created her shadow realm so her shadow realm was destroyed so she was destroyed with it. hekate had gone too protect her realm without awakening josh and through out the book josh was mad at Nicholas flamel because Sophie's senses were hurting her. After hekates shadow realm got destroyed they went to scatty's, mother the witch of Ojai. john Dee almost gets josh to go on the side with the dark elders but Sophie had convinced him not too. they had teleported to Paris through a leygate to find someone to train Sophie and hopefully awaken josh.
added by Isaiahl.b4 | editisaiah times, isaiahlb.4 (May 1, 2014)

Michael Scottprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gulik, Henny vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Claudette, of course
iamque opus exegi
I am legend.
I want you to remember that everything you know—or think you know—about myth and legend is not necessarily false, nor is it entirely true. At the heart of every legend there is a grain of truth. I suspect that much of your knowledge comes from movies and TV. Xena and Dracula have a lot to answer for. All minotaurs are not evil, the Gorgon Medusa did not turn every man to stone, not all vampires are blood drinkers, the Were clans are a proud and ancient race.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,417,874 books! | Top bar: Always visible