Magyk by Angie Sage

Magyk (2005)

by Angie Sage

Series: Septimus Heap (1)

After learning that she is the Princess, Jenna is whisked from her home and carried toward safety by the Extraordinary Wizard, those she always believed were her father and brother, and a young guard known only as Boy 412--pursued by agents of those who killed her mother ten years earlier.
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (Bitter_Grace)
    Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories have a funny irreverent approach. Dealing with Dragons is a bunch of fairy tales gone tangled as Princess Cimorene refuses to do what's proper. Magyk is full of quirky characters and writing - I love the scene where the stove is frantically trying to light itself!)… (more)
    Queste by Angie Sage (neica)
    neica: Another book in the series
    The Magic Thief by Sarah Prineas (megan003, Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both are set in a somewhat run-down and dreary fantasy world, but Boy 412 and Conn showed what I thought was a similar fun 'spark' in working their way through their lot. Both of these are charming magical adventures.
    Martin the Warrior by Brian Jacques (forest-mage)
    forest-mage: the same sort of adventure is there but there isnt much fighting
    Jinx by Sage Blackwood (Anjali.Negi)
    Anjali.Negi: Both have a boy wizard, same medieval high fantasy..
    The Girl, the Dragon, and the Wild Magic by Dave Luckett (infiniteletters)
    The Mystical Beast by Alison Farthing (infiniteletters)
    Tomorrow's Wizard by Patricia MacLachlan (infiniteletters)

English (148)  Swedish (3)  Dutch (3)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (156)
Terrible. Relying on virtually every fantasy trope available, this is the most pointlessly formulaic book I've ever read. The phrase, "Don't waste your time," seems tailor-made for this tome. ( )
  fionaanne | Dec 6, 2019 |
This was a middle-grade fantasy novel about a family who found an infant abandoned in the snow on the same day that one of their own children was declared dead. Though I'm usually not terribly fond of middle-grade, I did enjoy this book. The writing itself was obviously aimed at a younger audience, but the story didn't refrain from being dark just because it was for children. I thought the story (particularly the plot twists) was pretty predictable and pretty much any word pertaining to Magyk in the story was bolded for some reason, but these are both things that the target audience would probably be fine with. I don't think I'll continue collecting this series, but I would consider reading the next installment if I ever came across it in a library or something, which isn't bad at all for a genre I usually don't enjoy. ( )
  NovelInsights | Sep 21, 2019 |
When I bought this book, what caught my attention was the description and cover design, and at the end of the story it makes sense. I’m a passionate fantasy reader, so I had high expectations with this one; sadly I didn’t like it as much as I thought I would.

The beginning is slow paced and kind of boring, but I understand it because we get to know the main characters and their stories, but there is a moment when they are being chased and must escape, I was expecting more action but the only thing I found was long and detailed descriptions that made the book slow paced all the time, even in the action sequences.

I must admit I never understood how their magic worked; their spells seemed like too much trouble with a slow process.

I didn’t like the characters at all, to me the Heap kids, Jenna and Nicko, and the Boy 412 lacked personality and charisma. Marcia and Silas were more interesting characters with their friendship-hate relationship. The villain is a powerful necromancer named DomDaniel, he was once an ExtraOrdinary Wizard and wants to defeat Marcia. He is helped by his apprentice, a boy who is the same age as Boy 412. None of those two left a big impression on me.

I was expecting an epic battle between Marcia and DomDaniel, but that battle never happened…
or at least it wasn’t as exciting as I thought It would be, mainly because of the long and detailed descriptions, it was kind of disappointing. A good point in favor of the detailed descriptions is that it lets you imagine clearly all the places they visit, as well as their outfits and the creatures they talk about.

This book is simple, it has big premise but is not as good as it sounds. The plot is predictable and is hard to get hooked during the first half of the book, even though there is this big mystery about who is Septimus, Boy 412 or Domdaniel’s apprentice. sometimes the book makes you think is one and in other moment you think is the other kid, but you can easily guess the answer and all the mystery stops being interesting.

As I said before, the first half of the book is somehow slow and boring, but the rest in entertaining. It is not one of the best books I’ve read, not even near, but is not one of the worst either. Give it a try, you may have fun.
  Rosechaser110 | Jul 17, 2019 |
A fun fantasy novel that kids will really get into. Longer review to come. ( )
  Robinsonstef | Jul 10, 2019 |
If you like the Harry Potter stories, you'll enjoy this. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |

Angie Sageprimary authorall editionscalculated
Corduner, Allansecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heesen, MarthaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schalekamp, JeanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zug, MarkIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lois, with love and thanks for all your help and encouragement - this book is for you.
Silas Heap pulled his cloak tightly around him against the snow.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,652,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible