Magyk (2005)

by Angie Sage

Series: Septimus Heap (1)

After learning that she is the Princess, Jenna is whisked from her home and carried toward safety by the Extraordinary Wizard, those she always believed were her father and brother, and a young guard known only as Boy 412--pursued by agents of those who killed her mother ten years earlier.
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling (Bitter_Grace)
    Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories have a funny irreverent approach. Dealing with Dragons is a bunch of fairy tales gone tangled as Princess Cimorene refuses to do what's proper. Magyk is full of quirky characters and writing - I love the scene where the stove is frantically trying to light itself!)… (more)
    Queste by Angie Sage (neica)
    neica: Another book in the series
    The Magic Thief by Sarah Prineas (megan003, Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both are set in a somewhat run-down and dreary fantasy world, but Boy 412 and Conn showed what I thought was a similar fun 'spark' in working their way through their lot. Both of these are charming magical adventures.
    Martin the Warrior by Brian Jacques (forest-mage)
    forest-mage: the same sort of adventure is there but there isnt much fighting
    Jinx by Sage Blackwood (Anjali.Negi)
    Anjali.Negi: Both have a boy wizard, same medieval high fantasy..
    The Girl, the Dragon, and the Wild Magic by Dave Luckett (infiniteletters)
    The Mystical Beast by Alison Farthing (infiniteletters)
    Tomorrow's Wizard by Patricia MacLachlan (infiniteletters)

English (165)  Swedish (3)  Dutch (3)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (173)
Sage is a great storyteller. At first I was not fond of her writing and found myself annoyed at similarities that seemed to be taken from other such novels. Still, her story is original and good. I might even try #2. ( )
  JRobinW | Jan 20, 2023 |
I remember reading this at a young age many, many moons ago. It was refreshing and felt new- it wasn't too psychologically complex so it was easy to follow and understand. I remember this book being more centralized around the human characters and there weren't that many creatures in it. I only mention this because normally one thing I look to 'check off boxes on my list' is if it is creature heavy because that's important for me. The vocabulary level is at least middle school level. The plot is well paced and the characters are quite likeable. Even if it didn't check off all my boxes, I still really enjoyed it. I always thought it was a series that more people didn't know about- but I'm happy to see there's a large amount of people on this site that know of this book series! It's quite a charismatic read and also satisfies fantasy lovers who feel they need something a bit different (at least, that's how I felt when I started it) ( )
  am08279 | Oct 23, 2022 |
read some with John... ok.
  apende | Jul 12, 2022 |
I loved this book. I can't wait to read the rest of the series. I appreciated that Angie Sage followed up on the rest of characters in the book so you found out what happened to them as well. ( )
  nab6215 | Jan 18, 2022 |
Terrible. Relying on virtually every fantasy trope available, this is the most pointlessly formulaic book I've ever read. The phrase, "Don't waste your time," seems tailor-made for this tome. ( )
  fionaanne | Nov 11, 2021 |

Angie Sageprimary authorall editionscalculated
Corduner, Allansecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heesen, MarthaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schalekamp, JeanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zug, MarkIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lois, with love and thanks for all your help and encouragement - this book is for you.
Silas Heap pulled his cloak tightly around him against the snow.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 185,236,083 books! | Top bar: Always visible