Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Magyk (2005)

by Angie Sage

Series: Septimus Heap (1)

After learning that she is the Princess, Jenna is whisked from her home and carried toward safety by the Extraordinary Wizard, those she always believed were her father and brother, and a young guard known only as Boy 412--pursued by agents of those who killed her mother ten years earlier.
    Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling (Bitter_Grace)
    Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories have a funny irreverent approach. Dealing with Dragons is a bunch of fairy tales gone tangled as Princess Cimorene refuses to do what's proper. Magyk is full of quirky characters and writing - I love the scene where the stove is frantically trying to light itself!)… (more)
    Queste by Angie Sage (neica)
    neica: Another book in the series
    The Magic Thief by Sarah Prineas (megan003, Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both are set in a somewhat run-down and dreary fantasy world, but Boy 412 and Conn showed what I thought was a similar fun 'spark' in working their way through their lot. Both of these are charming magical adventures.
    Martin the Warrior by Brian Jacques (forest-mage)
    forest-mage: the same sort of adventure is there but there isnt much fighting
    Jinx by Sage Blackwood (Anjali.Negi)
    Anjali.Negi: Both have a boy wizard, same medieval high fantasy..
    The Girl, the Dragon, and the Wild Magic by Dave Luckett (infiniteletters)
    The Mystical Beast by Alison Farthing (infiniteletters)
    Tomorrow's Wizard by Patricia MacLachlan (infiniteletters)

English (164)  Swedish (3)  Dutch (3)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (172)
Terrible. Relying on virtually every fantasy trope available, this is the most pointlessly formulaic book I've ever read. The phrase, "Don't waste your time," seems tailor-made for this tome. ( )
  fionaanne | Nov 11, 2021 |
My grandson loved this series. ( )
  Eurekas | Aug 25, 2021 |
This book did not initially make a good impression with me, mainly because of its plodding prose style. Even children deserve an author who can write elegant sentences, and even my 14-year-old could spot where a fronted adverbial was called for. This feeling was exacerbated by the fact that I was concurrently reading a book by Frances Hardinge, whose writing is a constant delight. I was also underwhelmed by the motif of a villain whose regime imposes Soviet-style utlitarian impersonality, which lacked justification in the plot or setting, and so simply felt tired.

Having said that, once I got into the story, I did actually enjoy it. I can live without psychologically complex characters if the settings and the plot twists are entertaining enough. Unlike some other reviewers, I was happy with the long period of suspense during which the reader has guessed who Boy 412 is, but the characters have not (lacking the advantage of knowing the book's subtitle). I didn't find it very much like J.K. Rowling, and thought it closer in feel to Cressida Cowell, though with less slapstick comedy. I liked a number of elements, including the Messenger Rat and the fact that Boy 412's grim training actually comes in handy. I do plan to read on in the series.

MB 09-viii-2021 ( )
  MyopicBookworm | Aug 9, 2021 |
Fast paced story about two children, who are taken from their families and then discover their true identities and inner strengths. Written for tweens. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Children's fiction; magic/adventure. This might have been better when read vs. heard on audio, I thought the pacing wasn't fast enough (couldn't they figure out the true identity of Boy 412 already?!!?) but it wasn't a bad story, and there were lots of funny moments. Would recommend to HP fans (if they haven't already read it). ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |

Angie Sageprimary authorall editionscalculated
Corduner, Allansecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heesen, MarthaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schalekamp, JeanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zug, MarkIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lois, with love and thanks for all your help and encouragement - this book is for you.
Silas Heap pulled his cloak tightly around him against the snow.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,314,780 books! | Top bar: Always visible