The Bell Jar (1963)

by Sylvia Plath

Beautiful and gifted, with a bright future, Esther Greenwood descends into depression, suicidal thoughts, and madness while interning at a New York City magazine.
1960s (10)
To Read (14)
Teens (5)

English (403)  Dutch (4)  Swedish (3)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (2)  Danish (2)  All (1)  Bulgarian (1)  All languages (420)
This is why I don't even try to write. I would want to be this good and I just don't have it in me. ( )
  KittyCunningham | Apr 26, 2021 |
She encompasses the female condition. ( )
  Rachel_Cucinella | Apr 24, 2021 |
Un clásico que tenía muy pendiente y me hizo sentir a ratos que era luminoso y otras veces muy triste y oscuro.
Qué suerte haber leído “Gente Normal” de Rooney tan cerca de este: ambos tratan de mujeres jóvenes, encontrando su espacio en el mundo. Pensando qué es eso que no tienen, qué las hace insuficientes.
Una termina en el manicomio, ambas sufren el aislamiento atroz de esa sociedad que las juzga, tienen la presión social principalmente en el colegio, la sombra de un padre ausente y una madre muy dominante que las rechaza y el mundo las tacha de locas.
Sus problemas, sus miedos, sus deseos no son tan distintos, pese a estar escritos a unos 60 años de diferencia.
Qué lástima que #SylviaPlath no haya escrito más novelas. Hacía referencias poéticas hasta del dolor. (“Me sentía muy tranquila y muy vacía, como debe de sentirse el ojo de un tornado que se mueve con ruido sordo en medio del estrépito circundante.”)
“Preferiría que algo funcionara mal en mi cuerpo a que funcionara mal en mi cabeza. “
“¿Qué había en nosotras (...) que fuera diferente de las muchachas que jugaban bridge, chismorreaban y estudiaban en la universidad... esas muchachas también estaban sentadas bajo campanas de cristal de cierta clase. “
  GabbadelaMoraP | Apr 9, 2021 |
R. Hackforth
  cheshire11 | Apr 7, 2021 |
R. Hackforth
  cheshire11 | Apr 6, 2021 |
Esther Greenwood's account of her year in the bell jar is as clear and readable as it is witty and disturbing. It makes for a novel such as Dorothy Parker might have written if she had not belonged to a generation infected with the relentless frivolity of the college- humor magazine. The brittle humor of that early generation is reincarnated in "The Bell Jar," but raised to a more serious level because it is recognized as a resource of hysteria.

Plath, Sylviaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ames, LoisBiographical Notesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dorsman-Vos, W.A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fleckhaus, WillyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gyllenhaal, MaggieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaiser, ReinhardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kurpershoek, RenéTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Elizabeth and David
It was a queer, sultry summer, the summer they electrocuted the Rosenbergs, and I didn't know what I was doing in New York.
[Foreword] You might think that classics like The Bell Jar are immediately recognized the moment they reach a publisher's office.
That's one of the reasons I never wanted to get married. The last thing I wanted was infinite security and to be the place an arrow shoots off from. I wanted change and excitement and to shoot off in all directions myself, like the colored arrows from a Fourth of July rocket. (p. 69)
The trouble was, I hated the idea of serving men in any way.
"We'll take it up where we left off, Esther," she had said, with her sweet, martyr's smile. "We'll act as if all of this were a bad dream" A bad dream. To the person in the bell jar, blank and stopped as a dead baby, the world itself is the bad dream. A bad dream. I remembered everything. I remembered the cadavers and Doreen and the story of the fig tree and Marco's diamond and the sailor on the Common and Doctor Gordon's wall-eyed nurse and the broken thermometers and the Negro with his two kinds of beans and the twenty pounds I gained on insulin and the rock that bulged between sky and sea like a gray skull. Maybe forgetfulness, like a kind snow, should numb and cover them. But they were part of me. They were my landscape. (p. 181)
I took a deep breath, and listened to the old bray of my heart: I am, I am, I am.
I began to think that maybe it was true that when you were married and had children it was like being brainwashed, and afterward you went about numb as a slave in some private, totalitarian state. (p. 70)

Legacy Library: Sylvia Plath

Sylvia Plath has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Sylvia Plath's legacy profile.

See Sylvia Plath's author page.

5 1984

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,696,267 books! | Top bar: Always visible