Ender's Shadow (1999)

by Orson Scott Card

Series: Ender-Shadow Series (1), Ender's Game, Enderverse (8A)

10,858124526 (4.11)1 / 204
Andrew "Ender" Wiggin was not the only child in the Battle School; he was just the best of the best. Card tells the story of another of those precocious generals, the one they called Bean who became Ender's right hand, in the final battle against the Buggers. Bean's past was a battle just to survive. Hus success brought hin to the attention of the Battle School's recruiters, those people scouring the planet for leaders, tacticians, and generals to save Earth from the threat of alien invasion. Bean was sent into orbit, to the Battle School. And there he met Ender...… (more)

English (121)  Latin (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (123)
Um livro para todos aqueles que adoraram Ender's Game e querem revisitá-lo. Então, requer que vc já tenha lido o anterior. Porque a graça é que ele extrai de lá, das deixas, uma história incrível, de um personagem tão genial e interessante quanto Ender, o Bean, preenchendo informações que ficaram no ar no outro livro de modo bastante criativo e interessante. E por sua vez, tentando ser simétrico, deixando informações no ar que o primeiro responde (mas sinceramente me pareceu mais um expediente para unir ambos do que um para tornar o livro algo independente).

Então, a recomendação forte é condicional. Eu fiquei emocionado.

Scott Card, aqui como na continuação direta de Ender's Game (Speaker of the Dead) continua fortemente cristão e de tom conservador. É declarado, mas não consome ideologicamente o texto, que é incrível (isto é, não força soluções inaceitáveis de roteiro, embora às vezes coloque preocupações um pouco estranhas, como sobre o caráter dos possíveis pais genéticos de Bean influenciarem o filho e como Deus agraciaria ou não essa criança, de modo relacionado). ( )
  henrique_iwao | Aug 30, 2022 |
Maybe my favorite book I've ever read. Fantastic. even better than Enders Game, is that's possible. ( )
  Michael_J | Jun 2, 2022 |
I enjoyed the first part until the stories of Bean and Ender converge but honestly none of the rest stuck with me. I won't be reading any of the others which follow. ( )
  mjduigou | Feb 27, 2022 |
glad to have a new Ender adventure ( )
  njcur | Dec 17, 2021 |
This one was much better than [b:Ender in Exile|3220405|Ender in Exile (Ender's Saga, #1.2)|Orson Scott Card|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1442883678s/3220405.jpg|3465687], although you'd definitely be lost if you hadn't read [b:Ender's Game|375802|Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1)|Orson Scott Card|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1408303130s/375802.jpg|2422333] first (or even recently), as much in this book relied on explanations already given in EG. Reading them near back-to-back, this didn't bother me (in fact, I rather welcomed not having to re-read nearly identical text), but if Ender's Game wasn't as fresh in my mind I might have been annoyed by this.
That said, I think that Bean is actually a much more interesting character than Ender, although his story is even MORE implausible, despite whatever genetic enhancements Bean had been exposed to, especially his street urchin background.
I think that I need to take a break from Ender's Universe for a bit, as I don't have any interest in the story that happens back on Earth with Peter becoming the Hegemon, nor of Ender continuing his spiritual trek. ( )
  KrakenTamer | Oct 23, 2021 |

Warner, BobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Dick and Hazie Brown
In Whose Home No One Is Hungry
And In Whose Hearts No One Is A Stranger
"You think you've found somebody, so suddenly my program gets the ax?"
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
My son, my son Absalom. Would God I could die for thee, Absalom, my sons!
Why don't you tell me what you don't want me to know, and I'll tell you if I already know it?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,608,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible