The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster…

The Warrior's Apprentice (1986)

by Lois McMaster Bujold

2,566783,580 (4.16)1 / 260
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (EatSleepChuck)
    EatSleepChuck: Both main characters are kids who make up for their meek physical stature with cleverness and perception to rise up the ranks of military. Ender's Game is noticeably darker, however.
    The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Two unusual protagonists who rely on their tongue, wit and ingenuity to get themselves out of tight scrapes.
    Valor's Choice by Tanya Huff (BeaconsBright)
    BeaconsBright: Another great space opera
    The Pride of Chanur by C. J. Cherryh (Aquila)
    On Basilisk Station by David Weber (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For arguably unusual persons in command.
    The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon (sturlington)
    sturlington: Both young protagonists are dealing with a disability.

English (69)  Spanish (4)  Italian (4)  Dutch (1)  All languages (78)
: "créme de meth"
-: female author fails Bechdel test ( )
  pnppl | Jan 10, 2019 |
Wow! If you're new to the series, … start here. This book has all the fun, and action, and, y'know, forwards momentum.

(Our beloved hero is crippled, but clever, and builds a mercenary army by accident. Yep.) ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
The third in the Vorkosigan Saga, one of the first written, this is the first told from Miles' point of view. After he is denied entrance to the Military Academy due to his health, Miles heads to his Mother's home world, aimlessly and depressed. There, one small gesture of assistance mushrooms beyond his control and he soon finds himself at the head of a (fictional) mercenary fleet in charge of breaking a blockade.

Miles is a hilarious and ingenious character. Hyper-active, audacious, daring, and naïve – he’s thrilling to watch as he just digs himself a deeper hole. At the same time, he isn’t without depth. Constantly reminded of his own physical disabilities and his fear of his Father’s disappointment, his heart is there as well as his mind.

Fast-action, sorrow, character development, and intrigue make this a fun space adventure with surprising depth. As the all Bujold’s work, I highly recommend, particularly if you like solid science fiction adventure novels. ( )
1 vote empress8411 | Aug 22, 2018 |
The best parts of the book remain moving, the funny parts funny and the mix quite different from what was otherwise available at the time. and for the most part, to this day. ( )
  quondame | Apr 21, 2018 |
The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold is another book in the Vorkosigan saga, which I have been rereading this year. It's the second book published, the first (published and chronologically) about Miles Vorkosigan and the third chronologically in the main timeline (or the fourth if you count a very distant prequel). It was originally the first book I read of the saga and, while I enjoyed it immensely at the time, I actually found it more satisfying upon rereading after the two Cordelia books, Shards of Honour and Barrayar.

I enjoyed this book the first time I read it — I loved Miles and it made me want to read the rest of the series — but I feel like I got more out of it after rereading. The background/side plot regarding the events of Miles's parents generation was actually covered in Shards of Honour and Barrayar in much more detail and the scenes in The Warrior's Apprentice harking back to those events were much more impactful having just read about them. So while The Warrior's Apprentice seemed like a good place to start (and I don't blame people for suggesting it), I think starting with Shards of Honour is a much better idea.

Miles is only seventeen in this book, which is easy to forget, given the scale of his adventures. It all starts innocuously enough with Miles failing the physical part of the Imperial Military Academy exam. His holiday to take his mind off things and consider his future options kind of spirals out of control, however, when smuggling and a warzone become involved. Miles is clever and amusing, making this book quite engaging. Although I also enjoyed the two Cordelia books proceeding it, I loved this one even more. Cordelia is awesome but Miles is larger than life and I love reading about him.

As well as Miles, we get to properly meet Elena, Bothari's daughter, and follow the next (Mile-centric) chapter of Bothari's life, after the unfortunate events we see or learn about in the earlier two books. Miles's able-bodied age-mate cousin Ivan also makes an appearance. All of these characters know Miles well and provide a counterpoint to the various new people he encounters over the course of the story. Since most of the new people are Galactics (that is, not Barrayaran), there have significantly different cultural reactions to his appearance than the generally ableist random Barrayarans back home. It's interesting to see how this can be a kind of advantage to Miles, as opposed to the disadvantage it is back home.

The Warrior's Apprentice is an excellent read. It's an OK entry point to the Vorkosigan saga, but I recommend reading it after Shards of Honour and Barrayar to appreciate it most fully. And of course, I enjoyed it enough the first time to reread it, and enough the second time to (again) give it five stars. I am very excited to continue rereading Miles's adventures.

5 / 5 stars

You can find more reviews on my blog ( )
  Tsana | Apr 30, 2017 |

Jainschigg, NicholasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lippi, GiuseppeContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruddell, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lillian Stewart Carl
The tall and dour non-com wore Imperial dress greens and carried his communications panel like a field marshall's baton.
"That's because I've got forward momentum. There's no virtue in it. It's just a balancing act. I don't dare stop."
"I guess it just doesn't look very heroic to sneak up behind somebody and shoot them in the back. I can't help thinking it would be more efficient, though."
But reason seemed to run backwards, conclusions swallowed in premises, and premises in silence, until in the end only silence and the unanswerable object remained.
More battles have been won or last by the quartermasters than by any general staff.
"A verbal agreement is the most binding of contracts! Your soul is in your breath, and therefore in your voice. Once pledged it must be redeemed."

Seventeen-year-old Miles Vorkosigan has a lot to live up to, as the son of the Butcher of Komarr and grandson of General Count Piotr Vorkosigan, hero of the Cetagandan Invasion. Unluckily for him, his biology isn’t up to the challenge. After failing the physical for the Barrayaran Military Academy, he takes a trip to visit his grandmother and accidentally becomes the leader of a small mercenary fleet.

While neither the first published nor the first chronologically of Bujold’s award-winning Vorkosigan Saga, this book is one of the generally accepted starting points for the sixteen-volume series.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067172066X, Mass Market Paperback)

Discharged from the Barrarayan academy after flunking the physical, a discouraged Miles Vorkosigan takes possession of a jumpship and becomes the leader of a mercenary force that expands to a fleet of treasonous proportions. Reprint. AB.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:39 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,294,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible