The Thief

by Megan Whalen Turner

Series: Queen's Thief (1)

4,3891932,186 (3.99)508
Gen flaunts his ingenuity as a thief and relishes the adventure which takes him to a remote temple of the gods where he will attempt to steal a precious stone.
    The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner (mak_mohn)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (notemily)
    The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner (mak_mohn)
    The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen (gluestick, humouress)
    gluestick: Boys who come up with ingenious plans and incredible plot twists.
    humouress: The protagonists in both books are cheeky street boys who become in embroiled in royal politics and kingmaker's plans. But they decide to do things their own way.
    Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (bell7)
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (quigui)
    The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 1) by Rick Riordan (bwebb22)
    The Silver Pigs by Lindsey Davis (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Although one is Greece-esque fantasy and the other is a Roman-era mystery, both share scrappy, compelling characters in the form of Gen and Marcus Didius Falco.
    The Raven Ring by Patricia C. Wrede (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini (gluestick)
    StarCrossed by Elizabeth C. Bunce (multilingualmaid)
    The Twelve Kingdoms: Sea of Shadow by Fuyumi Ono (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Similarities: interesting characters, no romance, politics. I recommend the Eugene Woodbury translations.
    The Legend of Eli Monpress by Rachel Aaron (gluestick)
    gluestick: Another charming,ingenious,mischievous thief with a secret agenda and an inflated sense of his own worth.Could be Gen's long lost twin brother.
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Two unusual protagonists who rely on their tongue, wit and ingenuity to get themselves out of tight scrapes.
    Joust by Mercedes Lackey (gluestick)
    Take a Thief by Mercedes Lackey (Nikkles, gluestick)
    The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold (mysimas)
    A Conspiracy of Truths by Alexandra Rowland (mysimas)
    The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (themulhern)
    themulhern: Both books are closely inspired by a mythology and a geography. But both books are also highly original and the first in a series of similar books.
    The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan (gluestick)
    gluestick: Tale of two thieves.First book is great.

Actual rating: 3.5

This was a fun book, but I feel like the series has more potential yet to be shown. I will continue because I really liked the main character and I have heard the next two books are even better. Also, Sophos is adorable.

The story is mostly about this quest and there is a lot of walking around, eating and camping, but there is also the occasional jokes that makes it fun instead of boring. I really liked the writing style, which helps in slow paced stories like this one.

The reveals didn't surprise me because I got them before it was shown to me. Some of them I think it was intentional since even other characters weren't surprised by the revelations. Either way, it was still fun and well done so it's fine. ( )
  elderlingfae | Aug 11, 2022 |
I started this book a couple of weeks ago after a round of three really good books. I finally finished it today and am still feeling pretty "eh" about it. It wasn't awful. I wasn't fantastic. Now I see that there is another book and that it is better. Might have to check it out, but to be honest, I will not be in a hurry to do so. ( )
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |
I blasted through [The Thief] and even though I dislike this kind of jaunty first person narration, I was swept up. (Interestingly, this has been dropped in Book 2 which I have begun already.) Sure, this kind of fantasy has become a trope; however following the pattern is not the problem, but how you put the pattern to work for you, whether your characters are engaging, and whether the writing itself is good, or at least, good enough that awkwardness doesn't get in the way, break the magic. So young "Gen" is a thief and we know nothing more about him for most of the novel, although certainly we suspect something as the clues mount that this is no ordinary street thief. Captured by the king of Sounis, he is enlisted to steal a jewel. If he succeeds he goes free, if not, not. He travels with a 'magus' and a soldier and two adolescents more or less his own age, all of whom are distinct people. I'm in for the series! I started with 3 1/2 stars and boosted to 4 because this novel, and I suspect this series, has no pretenses to be other than adventure and darned good adventure too. Maybe not much depth, but so what. **** ( )
1 vote sibylline | Mar 3, 2022 |
It was alright, but having heard there was a twist, I considered what it (they?) was likely to be and was a little disappointed to be proven completely right. The quent was alright, but I was never very fond of the characters. ( )
  Tikimoof | Feb 17, 2022 |
After some of my recent reads that were more of the horror genre, I needed a change. I have heard many different things about this YA Fantasy Series for years. I've heard the first book was slow, that it was boring, that The Thief dragged on. You either love it or hate it. It was kind of like, in the Harry Potter series, The Chamber of Secrets was kind of slow (for me at least), but it educated the reader on things that would later become key to the entire series. Well, I guess I fall under the LOVE it. What a Fun-freak'n-tastic read!

The Thief is the first in a series, The Queen's Thief:
1996 The Thief
2000 The Queen of Attolia
2006 The King of Attolia
2010 A Conspiracy of Kings
2017 Thick as Thieves
2020 Return of the Thief

'The Thief's main character is Eugenides (AKA: Gen), the Queen’s thief. He can steal anything—or so he thinks. His arrogance lands him in prison, boasting of his thievery. The King’s Magus strongly suggests he take on a quest to steal a legendary object. Gen was in no position to refuse. The Magus thinks he has the right tool for the job, but Gen has plans of his own.

This book does have a slow start. But the leisurely pace pulls together the entire first half to the back half. Gen, our protagonist, is a witty, charismatic, whining, likable character that is fun to follow along his journey while he tells his story in the first-person narrative. Honestly, Gen is thoroughly winsome but thoroughly an arrogant, obnoxious, and contemptible person. Oh why, oh why do I love characters like this!? The scenery is set in a Greek or Romanesque world with lots of picturesque scenery. Plus, the unforeseen twist! Oh yes, there is a twist that is clever and not one that you see coming.

For being a YA, I found this 'The Thief' to be an easy, fun read and I'm looking forward to devouring and enjoying the rest of the series. This gets a solid 4.75-stars rating from me. ( )
1 vote Christilee394 | Jan 31, 2022 |

Turner, Megan Whalenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Natale, VinceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stengel, ChristopherCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyatt, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Sandy Passarelli
I didn't know how long I had been in the king's prison.

"There is something I want you to steal. Do this for me, and I'll see that you don't go back to prison. Fail to do this for me, and I will still make sure that you don't go back to prison."

The king's magus needs a skilful thief. Incarcerated for stealing from the king himself, Gen is the just the pawn the magus is looking for. Cocky, brash and extremely uncooperative, Gen is press-ganged into an unlikely band of travellers and marched through Sounis, into hostile Attolia.

Concealed in Attolia is an object of such power it can make or break a king - but even stolen treasure has it's price.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,882,669 books! | Top bar: Always visible