On Basilisk Station by David Weber

On Basilisk Station (1993)

by David Weber

Series: Honor Harrington (1), Honor Harrington Universe (9)

Honor Harrington in trouble:Having made him look the fool, she's been exiled to Basilisk Station in disgrace and set up for ruin by a superior who hates her. Her demoralized crew blames her for their ship's humiliating posting to an out-of-the-way picket station. The aborigines of the system's only habitable planet are smoking homicide-inducing hallucinogens. Parliament isn't sure it wants to keep the place; the major local industry is smuggling, the merchant cartels want her head; the star-conquering, so-called "Republic" of Haven is Up to Something; and Honor Harrington has a single, over-age light cruiser with an armament that doesn't work to police the entire star system. But the people out to get her have made one mistake. They've made her mad!Thisspecial limited editionincludes an excerpt from the nextHonor Harrington best seller,At All Costs (hitting bookstore shelves November 2005)!… (more)
Recently added byJSPerkins, private library, rej83, razdeadpool, paulwcampbell, JSZ1968, PicosOmega, bobf32, Senriel
Legacy LibrariesInternational Space Station
    The Honor of the Queen by David Weber (theapparatus)
    theapparatus: Next book in the series
    Captain Horatio Hornblower: Beat to Quarters / Ship of the Line / Flying Colours by C. S. Forester (miniwark)
    miniwark: To compare with the original
    Valor's Choice by Tanya Huff (ktoonen)
    Trading in Danger by Elizabeth Moon (ktoonen)
    The Outback Stars by Sandra McDonald (SunnySD)
    With the Lightnings by David Drake (ktoonen)
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For arguably unusual persons in command.
    Hunting Party by Elizabeth Moon (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For starship captains cutting through political crap.
    The Fuzzy Papers: Little Fuzzy & Fuzzy Sapiens by H. Beam Piper (DWWilkin)
    DWWilkin: Honor Harrington's first mission is protecting a world where native intelligence also resides
    One Jump Ahead by Mark L. Van Name (ktoonen)
    Death's Door - Where Right and Glory Lead by William DeSouza (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: I loved this book - 1st in a series of great sci-fi reading.
    A Hymn Before Battle by John Ringo (ElementalDragon)
    Dead Reckoning by Jeffery Cheney (ClassicallyMinded)
    ClassicallyMinded: Very fast-paced and exciting. Compelling characters and a well thought out story.
    Tarnished Knight by Jack Campbell (Dragget)
    Dragget: There are some differences, but both of these are good military SF. Tarnished Knight focuses more on the rulers as main characters while On Basilisk Station is about a ship commander implementing her government's policies. Both, however, focus the main characters' problem-solving and follow them as they rise to various military and diplomatic challenges.… (more)
    Kris Longknife: Mutineer by Mike Shepherd (ktoonen, binarydude)

English (87)  French (4)  Swedish (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (93)
First read print edition March/April 2004 then listened to Brilliance Audio Edition in July 2009 for review for SFFAudio.com. Read that review here: http://www.sffaudio.com/?p=8743 ( )
  paulwcampbell | Oct 10, 2019 |
Surprisingly enough I hand't heard very much of the "Honoverse" before diving into ebooks. That what you get for growing up in a backwater nation like Sweden.

A really good book. Unfortunately it's got a fair amount of political bullshit and dead stupid asshole high-ranking officers but, at least in this one, it was keept out of the way of most of the actual story. I hope it stays that way. ( )
  perjonsson | Jun 10, 2019 |
I absolutely love the Honor Harrington series. She is a very strong female lead that is not swept off of her feet and made a weak incompetent fool simply by the addition of a love interest. The book is heavy on science, and descriptions of the science behind the concepts presented within. ( )
  LadyNell | Feb 18, 2019 |
Too many descriptions. Pages and pages of information. Not enough action. I read only about 1/4 of the book - glanced through is more accurate. ( )
  Nadishka | Jan 26, 2019 |
I read this when it first came out, but that was years ago. It was time to tackle the entire series and hope that my memories of it were accurate -- that it was great science fiction with a competent heroine. My memories were indeed accurate as I raced through the book.

I've learned more about the military over the years and this book rang true. Honor is the appropriate age to be a commander and she's developed her skills in leadership. I enjoyed seeing how she brought the crew together into a cohesive whole.

Obviously, as Honor is the main character, Weber takes the time to make us understand her. However, he also makes us care about many of the minor characters, too. They weren't cardboard characters who moved around at the whim of the author. They had motivation and real personality. I think that made the main battle even more hard to read because I cared if the characters lived or died. That is the mark of an excellent writer.

This boo is cracking good science fiction, so folks who like science fiction would enjoy it. If you like military science fiction, this needs to be on your "must read" list. It has my highest recommendation. ( )
1 vote Jean_Sexton | Dec 15, 2018 |

David Weberprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hackney, IanDirectorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Johnson, AllysonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mattingly, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schwinger, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warner, BobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Slovak Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
To C.S. Forester,
With thanks for hours of enjoyment,
years of inspiration,
and a lifetime of admiration.
The ticking of the conference room's antique clock was deafening as the Hereditary President of People's Republic of Haven stared at his military cabinet.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,818,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible