On Basilisk Station (1993)

by David Weber

Fiction. Science Fiction. HTML:

INTRODUCING

HONOR HARRINGTON

Having made him look a fool, she's been exiled to Basilisk Station in disgrace and set up for ruin by a superior who hates her.

Her demoralized crew blames her for their ship's humiliating posting to an out-of-the-way picket station.

The aborigines of the system's only habitable planet are smoking homicide-inducing hallucinogens.

Parliament isn't sure it wants to keep the place; the major local industry is smuggling; the merchant cartels want her head; the star-conquering, so-called "Republic" of Haven is Up To Something; and Honor Harrington has a single, over-age light cruiser with an armament that doesn't work to police the entire star system.

But the people out to get her have made one mistake. They've made her mad.

At the publisher's request, this title is sold without DRM (Digital Rights Management).

… (more)
    The Honor of the Queen by David Weber (theapparatus)
    theapparatus: Next book in the series
    Captain Horatio Hornblower: Beat to Quarters / Ship of the Line / Flying Colours by C. S. Forester (miniwark)
    miniwark: To compare with the original
    Valor's Choice by Tanya Huff (ktoonen)
    Trading in Danger by Elizabeth Moon (ktoonen)
    The Outback Stars by Sandra McDonald (SunnySD)
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For arguably unusual persons in command.
    With the Lightnings by David Drake (ktoonen)
    Hunting Party by Elizabeth Moon (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For starship captains cutting through political crap.
    The Fuzzy Papers: Little Fuzzy & Fuzzy Sapiens by H. Beam Piper (DWWilkin)
    DWWilkin: Honor Harrington's first mission is protecting a world where native intelligence also resides
    Death's Door - Where Right and Glory Lead by William DeSouza (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: I loved this book - 1st in a series of great sci-fi reading.
    One Jump Ahead by Mark L. Van Name (ktoonen)
    Dead Reckoning by Jeffery Cheney (ClassicallyMinded)
    ClassicallyMinded: Very fast-paced and exciting. Compelling characters and a well thought out story.
    A Hymn Before Battle by John Ringo (ElementalDragon)
    Tarnished Knight by Jack Campbell (Dragget)
    Dragget: There are some differences, but both of these are good military SF. Tarnished Knight focuses more on the rulers as main characters while On Basilisk Station is about a ship commander implementing her government's policies. Both, however, focus the main characters' problem-solving and follow them as they rise to various military and diplomatic challenges.… (more)
    Kris Longknife: Mutineer by Mike Shepherd (ktoonen, binarydude)

English (108)  French (4)  Spanish (1)  Slovak (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (115)
This is a small lightly-armed naval cruiser of a page-turner that, after some tactical swerves and gyrations, accelerates into hyperspace in the last hundred pages. Ignore some of the cornier dialogue and clichéd characterisation, as well as some blood-and-guts gore, and you'll enjoy this remote star-system patrol through heavily-armoured heroism, military spaceware, and impeller-drive technobabble. Engage! ( )
  breathslow | Jan 27, 2024 |
The first book of Honor is the best. I read others, but with the book number getting up the impact got thinner and thinner. After 7 or 8 it all become meaningless for me.

But the first... yes, it more like classic Bujold "put main cast in deep troubles and let the reader watch them struggle". That is what it all about and that is what Webber book after book changed for high scale politic clashes and deep blood bathes. ( )
  WorkLastDay | Dec 17, 2023 |
Very popular and well known series, that I'm not convinced is worth me spending more time on. The military feel and detail I enjoyed, but the characters and plot were pretty uneven at best. I mean, it's cool the lead character is female, but other than her mild obsession with being unattractive, she is neuter at best. That just one of a dozen similar examples. I really did enjoy reading much of it, but the lasting impression was kinda weak. It has the feel of one of the myriad of later Pern novels, or other series that went on using formula writing for way too long, and this is only book one. Read it, just don't expect too much. ( )
  furicle | Aug 5, 2023 |
Honor's hit bottom -- and there's nowhere to go but up. The best of the epic space battles to the death, Honor's an officer we'd all love to follow.

There's a part of me that feels like On Basilisk Station is the utter best out of the entire Honorverse series, and that may be because I adore when a good universe is set up and worked within. I love the Honorverse, the death rides, the fantastic crews...but On Basilisk Station has it all: Honor overcoming terrible odds, somehow making everything work out by the skin of her teeth. I think it's the purest of the bunch, and I LOVE it.

I'm plowing on with the series. Again. I'd kind of vowed to not re-read this for a while until I'd gotten a few more books off my to-read list, which has reached a length that would take me years to catch up with. But here I am, reading it again, because my father let a tidbit from one of the new books drop. Wish me luck.
  lyrrael | Aug 3, 2023 |
So I have re-read this a second time now. The first time I only gave it three stars. This time it is five stars. I really enjoyed it this go around. Not sure if it is because I did it via audible or not. That could have been part of it and the other part being that at the time I read it first I was expecting something different. Who knows.
Anyway, the story was wonderful and I really enjoyed the steady and strong female protagonist. The battles were very well written and the ending was exciting.
  sgsmitty | Jun 14, 2023 |

Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schwinger, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warner, BobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To C.S. Forester,
With thanks for hours of enjoyment,
years of inspiration,
and a lifetime of admiration.
The ticking of the conference room's antique clock was deafening as the Hereditary President of People's Republic of Haven stared at his military cabinet.

Fiction. Science Fiction. HTML:

INTRODUCING

HONOR HARRINGTON

But the people out to get her have made one mistake. They've made her mad.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,576,209 books! | Top bar: Always visible