dismiss

The Invention of Hugo Cabret (2007)

by Brian Selznick, Brian Selznick (Illustrator)

8,237628689 (4.3)1 / 531
When twelve-year-old Hugo, an orphan living and repairing clocks within the walls of a Paris train station in 1931, meets a mysterious toyseller and his goddaughter, his undercover life and his biggest secret are jeopardized.

English (608)  French (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Italian (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (622)
An utterly unique combination of graphic/textual novel. I read this slowly, for 15 minutes or so at the end of each night to my son, and we both really enjoyed it.
  markflanagan | Jul 13, 2020 |
What a delightful story! Selznick creates a magical celebration of film through "a novel told in words and pictures." Its style is completely justified by the premise, which discusses the concept of stories and the ways people choose to tell them. (On an unrelated note, the kids in this story are so tactless and reckless. Either stop stealing and poking your nose where you don't belong, or explain yourselves!) ( )
  peterbmacd | May 17, 2020 |
Just like with The Crossover, I liked this book so much I did a booktalk on it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_3GnvHGKPQ). If there is one thing I can clarify from that video here, though, it is why I consider it a work of historical fiction. Realistically, Cabret could also be classified as a graphic novel or picture book. Here, I decided to use it for 'ILS 516 Historical Fiction' since Georges Méliès being brought back to life in this novel that takes place in early 20th century France was more of a defining element than its illustrations or text. Just to end by reiterating what I have said elsewhere, I really feel this is a splendid book that people of all ages could get something out of. ( )
  TNAEWWF123 | Apr 27, 2020 |
4-4.5, myself and my 9yo son. This is a historical fiction. Great story with some suspense and mystery. The illustrations were fabulous. We took a break while reading to watch some of the early short films as they were mentioned: "The Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat Station" (1895) and "A Trip to the Moon" (1902). Do that, too! You'll know why. ( )
  kaciereads | Apr 9, 2020 |
Fun book. Love letter to the movies. Reminder how the early movies were not really appreciated and saved. ( )
1 vote nx74defiant | Jan 5, 2020 |
The story is an engaging meditation on fantasy, inventiveness, and a thrilling mystery in its own right. No knowledge of early cinema is necessary to enjoy it, but for those who do know just a little, the rewards are even greater.

The carefully selected details make Hugo Cabret feel like, well, a machine, full of tiny interlocking parts, built to fuel a curious child’s lifelong infatuation with wonder.

The Invention of Hugo Cabret is full of magic ... for the child reader, for the adult reader, the film lover, the art lover, for anyone willing to give it a go. If you’re scared of the size or the concept, don’t be. Open your mind, pour Selznick’s creation in, and be reminded of the dream of childhood.

With The Invention of Hugo Cabret, the American illustrator/author Brian Selznick seems to have invented a new kind of book. It's at once a picture book, a graphic novel, a rattling good yarn and an engaging celebration of the early days of the cinema. All in black and white.

It is wonderful.

Belongs to Publisher Series

Has the adaptation

Hugo (2011IMDb)
For Remy Charlip and for David Serlin
From his perch behind the clock, Hugo could see everything.
Hugo felt sure that the note was going to answer all of his questions and tell him what to do now that he was alone. The note was going to save his life.
The coffee was hot, and as Hugo let it cool, he looked around the cavernous station at all the people rushing by with a thousand different places to go. When he saw them from above he always thought the travelers looked like cogs in an intricate, swirling machine. But up close, amid the bustle and the stampede, everything just seemed noisy and disconnected.
Hugo though about his father’s description of the automaton. “Did you ever notice that all machines are made for some reason?” he asked Isabelle. “They are built to make you laugh, like the mouse here, or to tell the time, like clocks, or to fill you with wonder, like the automaton. Maybe that’s why a broken machine always makes me a little sad, because it isn’t able to do what it was meant to do.”
“I like to imagine that the world is one big machine. You know, machines never have any extra parts. They have the exact number and type of parts they need. So I figure if the entire world is a big machine, I have to be here for some reason. And that means you have to be here for some reason, too.”
When you wind it up, it can do something I'm sure no other automaton in the world can do. It can tell you the incredible story of Georges Méliès, his wife, their goddaughter, and a beloved clock maker whose son grew up to be a magician.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,183,859 books! | Top bar: Always visible