dismiss

The Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup… (2003)

by Kate DiCamillo

The adventures of Desperaux Tilling, a small mouse of unusual talents, the princess that he loves, the servant girl who longs to be a princess, and a devious rat determined to bring them all to ruin.

English (498)  German (2)  All languages (500)
While this book is long in length, the author did a great job with this. Inside the book are 4 separate stories that are all about different people and creatures. One thing that makes this book great, is the author makes all four separate stories connect. Some students could relate to certain characters in the stories while others would choose different characters. This book is a great book for students to read and use their imagination and picture themselves there in each story as they read, even though it is a lengthy book. ( )
  SGiese | Apr 6, 2020 |
One of my favorite chapter books growing up, this story introduces bravery and determination to the reader. An unusual fairy-tale that tells a tale about the brave unordinary mouse Despereaux who saves a princess, a rat, and a servant. This is a book I want in my classroom to remind students to be brave and stand up for what they believe in. ( )
  TiffanyNicole67 | Apr 6, 2020 |
This story follows a mouse named Despereaux Tilling, who loves reading and is friends with a human Princess. When she is put in a dungeon, Despereaux sets out t save her from the rats in the dungeon. I loved this book, and I think its a great book to have in your classroom. ( )
  emf021 | Apr 6, 2020 |
I love this book. It is a very unique and creative story. I found the book an easy read and one that lets your imagination grow. Making a tiny mouse the hero makes it all the better. Mice may be the most looked down upon animal out there and to share that even a mouse can be a hero sits well with all readers. It even opens up opportunities for kids to learn that all should be accepted for who they are and never judge anyone for being themselves. ( )
  sharse1 | Mar 25, 2020 |
This adventurous tale follows the life of the main character, a tiny mouse, named Despereaux Tillings and how the lives of others put him on his quest for happiness. Through the storyteller's words, we experience the lives of a peasant girl, a rat, and how in turn all three of our them are intertwined, like a spool of thread, with the princess. In four different stories, the lives of all the characters all tie together in a simple yet elegant conclusion that could be considered a "happily ever after" which is then followed by a short coda in which the storyteller, "hopes we found some light," within the story.
A story like this within the classroom would be beneficial in showing that for every action we take there is always a reaction, and sometimes that reaction may result in a consequence. Also, it shows that no matter how hard life may get, always try to find that "light" in the darkness and to keep moving forward. ( )
  bnk008 | Mar 12, 2020 |

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ering, Timothy BasilIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Malcolm, GraemeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The world is dark, and light is precious. Come closer, dear reader. You must trust me. I am telling you a story.
For Luke, who asked for the story of an unlikely hero
This story begins within the walls of a castle, with the birth of a mouse.
There are those hearts, reader, that never mend again once they are broken. Or if they do mend, they heal themselves in a crooked and lopsided way, as if sewn together by a careless craftsman.
Reader, you must know that an interesting fate (sometimes involving rats, sometimes not) awaits almost everyone, mouse or man, who does not conform.

Despereaux is a
small mouse with big ears and the
heart of a lion.
(passion4reading)

Candlewick Press

3 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763625299, 0763617229, 0763629286

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,069,961 books! | Top bar: Always visible