The Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup,… (2003)

by Kate DiCamillo

The adventures of Desperaux Tilling, a small mouse of unusual talents, the princess that he loves, the servant girl who longs to be a princess, and a devious rat determined to bring them all to ruin.

English (521)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (524)
What do you get when you take a formula of princesses, unrequited love, a rat villain, and twist it for a new spin? You get Despereaux! A book where what you expect might not happen at all, the typical is spun on its head, and a small mouse goes on an adventure not quite like any other. Despereaux is the mouse equivalent of Dumbo, Cinderella, and a lot more. It's charming and a read that all should try at least once. ( )
  Yolken | Aug 5, 2022 |
A story about a misunderstood mouse who falls in love wtih Princess Pea, a real girl, a rat named Roscurio who lives in a dungeon, and an ugly girl name Miggery Sow and how all of their lives intertwine. A great new classic fairy tale. ( )
  Jen-Lynn | Aug 1, 2022 |
I've read the book and the movie. I haven't read it in a while but didn't like it. 🤷‍♂️ Kate DiCamillo really is a good author, but I feel like she needs to be writing poetry instead. (and Mercy Watson of course) The descriptions are so long and there's never a lot of danger.
I don't like animals being the main character or even a major plot of the book, so maybe that played a part, but still. ( )
  MollyGroff | Jul 29, 2022 |
I found the story to be odd, the mouse is in love with a princess. The redemption of the book is the theme of forgiveness. ( )
  MaryRachelSmith | Jul 21, 2022 |
I read this story to my boys (8 and 10). They really enjoyed it. The story could perhaps have been better but the writing style was very enjoyable. The boys enjoyed answering when the author wrote questions such as "Dear Reader what do you believe?" ( )
  Luziadovalongo | Jul 14, 2022 |

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ering, Timothy BasilIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Malcolm, GraemeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The world is dark, and light is precious. Come closer, dear reader. You must trust me. I am telling you a story.
For Luke, who asked for the story of an unlikely hero
This story begins within the walls of a castle, with the birth of a mouse.
There are those hearts, reader, that never mend again once they are broken. Or if they do mend, they heal themselves in a crooked and lopsided way, as if sewn together by a careless craftsman.
Reader, you must know that an interesting fate (sometimes involving rats, sometimes not) awaits almost everyone, mouse or man, who does not conform.

Despereaux is a
small mouse with big ears and the
heart of a lion.
(passion4reading)

Candlewick Press

3 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763625299, 0763617229, 0763629286

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,820,317 books! | Top bar: Always visible