Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal (2002)

by Christopher Moore

The birth of Jesus has been well chronicled, as have his glorious teachings, acts, and divine sacrifice after his thirtieth birthday. But no one knows about the early life of the Son of God, the missing years-except Biff, the Messiah's best bud, who has been resurrected to tell the story in the divinely hilarious yet heartfelt work "reminiscent of Vonnegut and Douglas Adams" (Philadelphia Inquirer). Verily, the story Biff has to tell is a miraculous one, filled with remarkable journeys, magic, healings, kung fu, corpse reanimations, demons, and hot babes. Even the considerable wiles and devotion of the Savior's pal may not be enough to divert Joshua from his tragic destiny. But there's no one who loves Josh more-except maybe "Maggie," Mary of Magdala-and Biff isn't about to let his extraordinary pal suffer and ascend without a fight.… (more)
Recently added byprivate library, dbeau528, EmilyRunsWI, Samlamity
    A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore (Ti99er)
    Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett (yokai, jscape2000)
    jscape2000: These authors revel in taking the things you think you know, turning them sideways and shaking them.
    The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove by Christopher Moore (Ti99er)
    Fluke, or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings by Christopher Moore (Ti99er)
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (andomck)
    andomck: Religion, realism, fantasy, humor, low brow, etc. Makes sense to me.
    Practical Demonkeeping by Christopher Moore (sturlington)
    sturlington: Character cross-overs.
    The Preservationist by David Maine (PhilipFOBrienJr)
    PhilipFOBrienJr: An amusing take on the Noah/Flood story
    Unholy Night by Seth Grahame-Smith (MyriadBooks)
    Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story by Christopher Moore (Ti99er)
    Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    You Don't Have to Be Evil to Work Here, But it Helps by Tom Holt (Ti99er)
    The Second Coming by John J. Niven (gualtiero80)
    Nothing But Blue Skies by Tom Holt (Ti99er)
    The Pericles Commission by Gary Corby (meggyweg)
    The Road Trip Dialogues by Jass Richards (ptittle)
    ptittle: same weird off-beat funny with underlying serious
    Who's Afraid of Beowulf? by Tom Holt (Dr.Science)
    Dr.Science: The English author Tom Holt is relatively unknown in America, but very popular in England. If you enjoy Jasper Fforde or Christopher Moore you will most certainly enjoy Tom Holt's wry sense of English humor and the absurd. He has written a number of excellent books including Expecting Someone Taller, and Flying Dutch, but they may be difficult to find at your library or bookstore.… (more)
    Ladies and Gentlemen, The Bible! by Jonathan Goldstein (meggyweg)
    Fated by S. G. Browne (Phantasma)
    Death: A Life by George Pendle (meggyweg, meggyweg)
    Only Begotten Daughter by James Morrow (the_awesome_opossum)
    the_awesome_opossum: Only Begotten Daughter is darker and less whimsical than Lamb, but the protagonist - the daughter of God - also struggles with her divinity and purpose on Earth. It is funny in spots, but in a more wry and satirical way. So if you liked the more serious parts of Lamb, try this book… (more)

English (389)  French (3)  German (3)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (397)
The Bible tells little of Jesus after being born and turning thirty. What was he doing then? The angels want the story to be written so they resurrect his childhood best friend, Biff, to tell the story.

I read this book picturing this like a Simpson show. Bart Simpson and Milhouse starring as Biff and Joshua (aka Jesus). Lisa I guess would be Maggie/Mary magdalene They would visit the three wisemen, Carl, Lenny, and Apu? And Nelson Mudd will ironically be Bartholomew. Perfect!

Biff is a great best friend to Joshua. He's crass, has a dirty mouth and dirtier sense of humor. I really enjoyed his present day thoughts rooming with the angel Raphael. I really missed those parts because the last parts of the book unraveled for me. ( )
  wellington299 | Feb 19, 2022 |
I know that fans of Christopher Moore (and I am one of them) think this is wonderful, but I can't agree. It's ok and has it's moments, but I like Moore's other books better. You *will* find out what Jesus' middle name is. ( )
  NancyinA2 | Feb 3, 2022 |
I haven’t been a practising Christian in well over 20 years (and was I ever, tbh), but Christopher Moore’s irreverent (but thought provoking) novel about the missing 30-odd years of Jesus’ life between birth and rise to fame is nothing less than a stellar read. The characters (except for our narrator Biff) are familiar if you’ve grown up in Western culture, but Moore takes a confident leap at weaving a relatively believable (but expectedly ridiculous) story that follows Biff and Joshua on a quest for knowledge and enlightenment. On their adventures the pair encounter the three Magi who were present at Jesus’ birth, each of whom plays a role in educating the young Christ on his way to being the Messiah. What makes the story believable is that Moore plays artfully with the tenants of the Jewish faith, and brings the teachings of other contemporaneous belief systems into play in a way that logically shows their influence on what will become Christianity. Whether a man of this era would have actually been able to travel to India, China, or elsewhere in the timeframes posited by Moore is questionable, but not entirely unbelievable, and makes for an exciting tale that is part morality story and part adventure quest. ( )
  JaimieRiella | Jan 2, 2022 |
I quit about a third of the way through because I was bored stupid. Comedies that are self-aware frequently bug the hell out of me. Of course, I'm also the only person I know who hates Terry Pratchett novels... ( )
1 vote SwitchKnitter | Dec 19, 2021 |
  revirier | Dec 13, 2021 |
"Lamb" is an incredibly compelling work even for readers who don't agree with Moore's conclusions. The book is also laugh out loud funny at times, which really helps during some of more irreverent parts of the story.

Interesting, original, not for every taste.
added by mysterymax | editKirkus Review (May 20, 2010)

Christopher Mooreprimary authorall editionscalculated
Balder, Hugo E.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Baranger, LucTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Estrella, JuanjoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, FisherNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
God is a comedian playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh. - Voltaire
Author's blessing

If you have come to these pages for laughter, may you find it.
If you are here to be offended, may your ire rise and your blood boil.
If you seek adventure, may this story sing you away to blissful escape.
If you need to test or confirm your beliefs, may you reach comfortable conclusions.
All books revel perfection, by what they are or what they are not.
May you find that which you seek, in these pages or outside them.
May you find perfection, and know it by name.
The angel was cleaning out his closets when the call came.
You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't.
I learned how to boil down goat urine to make explosives today.
Hi, I'm the Messiah, God wanted you to have this bacon.
I know that even now, having watched enough television, you probably won't even refer to them as lepers so as to spare their feelings. You probably call them 'parts-dropping-off challenged' or something.

In this work the author seeks to fill in the "lost" years of Jesus through the point of view of Jesus' childhood pal, "Levi bar Alphaeus who is called Biff". Biff has been resurrected in the present day, to complete missing parts of the Bible. Supposedly under the watchful eye of the angel Raziel, who turns out to be more interested in the soap operas on the television in their hotel, Biff is made to write down his account of the decades missing from Jesus' life. During these years he and Joshua (which, as Biff points out, "Jesus" is the Greek version of, and thus in Galilee Jesus was called Joshua Bar Joseph) travel to the East to seek the Three Wise Men who attended Joshua's birth, so that he may learn how to become the Messiah.
Biff is quite a guy
His friend is the Messiah
Find out what that's like
(jeshakespeare)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,141,253 books! | Top bar: Always visible