The Screwtape Letters / Screwtape Proposes a Toast

by C. S. Lewis

In this humorous and perceptive exchange between two devils, Lewis delves into moral questions about good vs. evil, temptation, repentance, and grace.--From publisher description.

English (142)  Italian (1)  All languages (143)
As thousands have said before me, this is a thought-provoking and worthwhile read for all. If you are Christian, it will summon your conscience and leave you wanting to do better- and hopeful that you can. As a former Christian, I was troubled by this book, and will hopefully read more Lewis soon. [b:Mere Christianity|11138|Mere Christianity|C.S. Lewis|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1327957263s/11138.jpg|801500] will be put on my next read list. ( )
  et.carole | Jan 21, 2022 |
A senior devil gives advice to his nephew on how to tempt a human and make sure he goes to Hell when he dies. It’s fascinating, and kind of twisted. Would definitely recommend. ( )
  vvbooklady | Jan 1, 2022 |
It is a very clever take on spiritual warfare. I like the matter of fact approach to the concept of demons. C.S. Lewis even has a bit of fun at his own expense, with the demon encouraging his underling to have the human quote more Lewis, and spend less time studying the Bible. ( )
  kraakerjack | Oct 16, 2021 |
Scathing little comedic commentary on human nature. Wonderfully scary that Lewis knows all this stuff. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
I'll 'fess up: I went through my C. S. Lewis phase. Some of them haven't held up too well over the years, but this was one of the better ones. ( )
  HenrySt123 | Jul 19, 2021 |
Clive Staples Lewis (1898-1963), hoogleraar literatuurgeschiedenis, schrijver van kinderboeken (de Narnia-verhalen) en apologeet van het christelijk geloof, heeft grote naam gemaakt met zijn 'Brieven uit de hel', waarin oom Schroeflik tegenover zijn neef de waarheden van het christelijk geloof omdraait en ze beschrijft als belemmeringen voor inlijving in het rijk van de duivel. Op paradoxale wijze en in een stijl die nog niets van zijn levendigheid heeft verloren, wordt hier een klassiek geworden apologie van het christelijk geloof gegeven. Toegevoegd is 'Schroeflik heft het glas'. Het nawoord en de aantekeningen zijn van de vertaler. De laatste vertaling dateerde uit 1947; deze vertaling is uit 2002 en sluit dus beter aan bij het hedendaagse taalgebruik. Paperback; normale druk.

Redactie
added by karnoefel | editBiblion recensie via Bol.com

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cosham, RalphNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schreuder, J.A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Chinese, traditional Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
'The best way to drive out the devil, if he will not yield to texts of Scripture, is to jeer and flout him, for he cannot bear scorn.'
-- Luther
'The devil . . . the prowde spirite . . . cannot endure to be mocked.'
--Thomas More
To J.R.R. Tolkien
My dear Wormwood, I note what you say about guiding your Patient's reading and taking care that he sees a good deal of his materialist friend.
Please do not combine this LT work with any abridged edition, or with any edition that omits Lewis' additional piece, "Screwtape Proposes a Toast." Each of these variants should be combined only with similar LT works. Thank you.

Please note that some works titled simply "The Screwtape Letters" also contain "Screwtape Proposes a Toast". If your edition is combined here and should not be then please be certain to check and, if need be, correct your ISBN before separating. The following ISBNs are of editions titled "The Screwtape Letters" but known to also contain "Screwtape Proposes a Toast":
  • 0060652896
  • 0060652934
  • 0684831171
  • 0805420401

"Our war aim is a world in which Our Father Below has drawn all other beings into himself; the Enemy wants a world full of begins united to Him but still distinct."

Thus is the eternal war for the soul of man explained by Screwtape, a professional devil and  self-described undersecretary of the department of temptation. His brilliantly conceived letters to his nephew Wormwood - a "junior temptor" - sparkle with the suavity of satanic logic and resound with the lofty, near cynical humor which invaluable accompanies a deep-sated knowledge of the human psych.

The Screwtape Letters gradually unfolds as  series of explicit directions adn plans through which Wormwood - may subvert and twist human soul to his own diabolical ends. Fascinating in its cunning and incredibly acute awareness of the flaws and foibles of man, this small masterpiece had been by millions since C S Lewis wrote the first letter for a newspaper during World War Two.
Dearest Diablo,
Hope this letter finds you well.
Your servant, Screwtape.
(LeBoeuf)
Listen, young demon:
Get us fresh souls to eat, or
You’ll be food yourself.
(Carnophile)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,308,128 books! | Top bar: Always visible