Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett

Moving Pictures (1990)

by Terry Pratchett

Other authors: Lyn Pratchett (Author)

Series: Discworld (10), Discworld: Industrial (1)

English (67)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  Polish (1)  French (1)  All languages (74)
I didn't think there would be a boring Discworld book. Hopefully, this one would be the last of its kind. ( )
  Aneris | Aug 12, 2016 |
This is my least favorite Discworld book so far. I think this is mainly because I didn’t find the story appealing at all. The characters were ok, and I really liked Gaspode the talking dog, but I was bored by the story.

At the beginning of the book, an old man living alone in a remote area called Holy Wood dies. After his death, strange things start happening and some alchemists develop the concept of “moving pictures” which become hugely popular. People travel en masse to Holy Wood (I trust you see the joke here), where the moving pictures are being made, in hopes of getting in on the action. Moving pictures don’t work in quite the same manner as real-world moving pictures. Recording a moving picture involves a box with a handle, some enslaved demons who can paint really fast, and some salamanders.

Most of the jokes and satire centers around movies, TV, cartoons, and Hollywood (now do you see the joke?) life. These are things that just don’t interest me that much. If they did, I might have appreciated the story more. I did think the Laddie (i.e. Lassie) stuff was funny. I don’t know if Gaspode has any real-world film equivalent, but he was the best part of the book.

This is the first book in the Industrial Revolution subseries of Discworld. I’m feeling a little skeptical about this subseries now, but maybe I’ll like the other books better. The next book is the 29th Discworld book on my list, though, so it will be a while before I find out. Since I’m reading in publication order, this is the last book flagged as a “starter novel” on the chart and I’ve now had a taste of all the major subseries. Except for Rincewind, though, I don’t feel like I’ve read enough books in any one subseries to choose any favorites. I’m particularly interested to read more from the Witches and Death subseries, though. Fortunately, the next two full-length books on my list are from those two subseries. ( )
  YouKneeK | Jul 2, 2016 |
I have a love/hate r'ship with the Discworld books.
I enjoy every encounter I have with Rincewind, the Luggage, and the Librarian.
Carrot is mildly interesting
Bits of concepts throughout the series are clever.
Pretty much the rest of the characters, and books, annoy and/or frustrate me. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
  Aneris | Mar 17, 2016 |
A mysterious influence has been seeping into the minds of the residents of the Discworld, causing them to re-create familiar (to we residents of the spherical world) sequences with their newly-invented method of creating 'moving pictures.' Is it just entertainment, or does something malevolent lurk beneath the ancient Holy Wood?
As usual, replete with puns and quite a few very funny sequences, as Pratchett takes on our society's fascination with celebrities and mass-marketed fantasies.
Still, I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as most of the Discworld books - I've never been a fan of this sort of "meta-media," if you will - books, plays, movies, TV shows - that exist only to comment about books, plays, movies, TV shows.... I know many people just love that sort of thing, so it's definitely a personal preference.
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pratchett, LynAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scanlan, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
I would like to thank all the wonderful people who made this book possible. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you . . .
Watch . . . This is space.
She wasn't certain what the future held, but coffee would be involved if she had any say in the matter.
Most alchemists were nervous, in any case; it came from not knowing what the crucible of bubbling stuff they were experimenting with was going to do next.

The alchemists of the Discworld have discovered the magic of the silver screen. But what is the dark secret of Holy Wood hill?

It's up to Victor Tugelbend ("Can't sing. Can't dance. Can handle a sword a little.") and Theda Withel ("I come from a little town you've probably never heard of") to find out...

Moving Pictures, the ninth Discworld novel is a gloriously funny saga set against the background of a world gone mad!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006102063X, Mass Market Paperback)

Discworld's pesky alchemists are up to their old tricks again. This time, they've discovered how to get gold from silver -- the silver screen that is. Hearing the siren call of Holy Wood is one Victor Tugelbend, a would-be wizard turned extra. He can't sing, he can't dance, but he can handle a sword (sort of), and now he wants to be a star. So does Theda Withel, an ambitious ingénue from a little town (where else?) you've probably never heard of.

But the click click of moving pictures isn't just stirring up dreams inside Discworld. Holy Wood's magic is drifting out into the boundaries of the universes, where raw realities, the could-have-beens, the might-bes, the never-weres, the wild ideas are beginning to ferment into a really stinky brew. It's up to Victor and Gaspode the Wonder Dog (a star if ever one was born!) to rein in the chaos and bring order back to a starstruck Discworld. And they're definitely not ready for their close-up!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:49 -0400)

A zany bunch of futuristic actors--Victor, the eternal student; Ginger, the milkmaid; Dibbler, the sausage salesman; and Gaspode, the talking dog--embarks on an epic movie project.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,361,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible