Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett

Moving Pictures (1990)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld (10), Discworld: Industrial (1)

Recently added byjenniferw88, THOUVENOT, private library, rena75, bangadrum, enitharmon, JMLandels

English (77)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  Polish (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (85)
The best I can say is that it's ok. I hoped for better of this, though, having enjoyed several of the later books that tackle the development of the Discworld. Hollywood is an easy target but there's little of the subtlety, the sharp satire and the character development to come. The shallowness of the central characters may be deliberate – the world of Hollywood is pretty shallow after all – but I suspect that, as with many of the earlier Discworld books, it is an idea that still hasn't found somewhere to root.
  enitharmon | Jan 14, 2019 |
  enitharmon | Jan 14, 2019 |
Fun romp as usual, this time at Holy Wood's expense. Lots of movie references and funny moments, but the plot is a bit scattered, and the writing is not as fluid as in the later Discworld books. Three and a half stars. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
This is mediocre Pratchett. Now granted, even mediocre Pratchett is still pretty good, but I was disappointed. I was looking forward to a Hollywood parody, but most of Pratchett's great characters don't appear or only make cameos, and the main characters in this book (Victor and Ginger) bore me. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
Hollywood comes to the Discworld.

We have the introduction of Ponder Stibbons, Gaspode, and Archchancellor Ridcully. And the Bursar isn't mad yet. The Librarian, Dibbler, and Detritus play supporting roles, and we also see the other wizards (including Windle Poons), Death, the Patrician, and Nobby Nobbs and Sgt Colon. ( )
  natcontrary | May 21, 2018 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scanlan, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
I would like to thank all the wonderful people who made this book possible. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you . . .
Watch . . . This is space.
She wasn't certain what the future held, but coffee would be involved if she had any say in the matter.
Most alchemists were nervous, in any case; it came from not knowing what the crucible of bubbling stuff they were experimenting with was going to do next.

The alchemists of the Discworld have discovered the magic of the silver screen. But what is the dark secret of Holy Wood hill?

It's up to Victor Tugelbend ("Can't sing. Can't dance. Can handle a sword a little.") and Theda Withel ("I come from a little town you've probably never heard of") to find out...

Moving Pictures, the ninth Discworld novel is a gloriously funny saga set against the background of a world gone mad!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006102063X, Mass Market Paperback)

Discworld's pesky alchemists are up to their old tricks again. This time, they've discovered how to get gold from silver -- the silver screen that is. Hearing the siren call of Holy Wood is one Victor Tugelbend, a would-be wizard turned extra. He can't sing, he can't dance, but he can handle a sword (sort of), and now he wants to be a star. So does Theda Withel, an ambitious ingénue from a little town (where else?) you've probably never heard of.

But the click click of moving pictures isn't just stirring up dreams inside Discworld. Holy Wood's magic is drifting out into the boundaries of the universes, where raw realities, the could-have-beens, the might-bes, the never-weres, the wild ideas are beginning to ferment into a really stinky brew. It's up to Victor and Gaspode the Wonder Dog (a star if ever one was born!) to rein in the chaos and bring order back to a starstruck Discworld. And they're definitely not ready for their close-up!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:49 -0400)

A zany bunch of futuristic actors--Victor, the eternal student; Ginger, the milkmaid; Dibbler, the sausage salesman; and Gaspode, the talking dog--embarks on an epic movie project.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,715,460 books! | Top bar: Always visible