Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett

Moving Pictures (1990)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld (10), Discworld: Industrial (1)

Recently added byxcom, Zcorbain, julieshedd, dmtmusic, MaraBlaise, private library, AltheaAnn

English (66)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  Polish (1)  French (1)  All languages (73)
A mysterious influence has been seeping into the minds of the residents of the Discworld, causing them to re-create familiar (to we residents of the spherical world) sequences with their newly-invented method of creating 'moving pictures.' Is it just entertainment, or does something malevolent lurk beneath the ancient Holy Wood?
As usual, replete with puns and quite a few very funny sequences, as Pratchett takes on our society's fascination with celebrities and mass-marketed fantasies.
Still, I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as most of the Discworld books - I've never been a fan of this sort of "meta-media," if you will - books, plays, movies, TV shows - that exist only to comment about books, plays, movies, TV shows.... I know many people just love that sort of thing, so it's definitely a personal preference.
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
I didn't think there would be a boring Discworld book. Hopefully, this one would be the last of its kind. ( )
  Irena. | Jan 28, 2016 |
  Irena. | Jan 28, 2016 |
One of my favourite Discworld books. The alchemists invent a new substance called octo-cellulose and the imps learn to paint fast.. and so Discworld-style 'moving pictures' are born. Lots of jokes alluding to Earth movies, and also a slightly darker side looking at what happens when people get involved in films. Can easily be read as a stand-alone book, would make an excellent introduction to this series. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Discworld's alchemists have finally managed to make something work without too many explosions. They've found a way to turn gold into silver, the silver screen that is. Holy Wood springs up overnight, and the Disc becomes obsessed with going to see the clicks. Soon the magic of Holy Wood starts to drift out into the multiverse where beings from other realities begin to use it to their advantage. It's up to Victor, a former student of wizardry at Unseen University and Holy Wood heartthrob, and Gaspode the Wonder Dog to save the Disc, whether they want to or not.

Pratchett gets better and better as the series goes on. I really enjoyed his send up of Hollywood, and I think Gaspode the Wonder Dog is my new favorite character. I will mention the one complaint I have with pretty much all of his books, which is that I think that although he may have everything straight in his head, he doesn't always convey some of the more abstract concepts as clearly as he could to his audience. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scanlan, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
I would like to thank all the wonderful people who made this book possible. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you . . .
Watch . . . This is space.
She wasn't certain what the future held, but coffee would be involved if she had any say in the matter.
Most alchemists were nervous, in any case; it came from not knowing what the crucible of bubbling stuff they were experimenting with was going to do next.

The alchemists of the Discworld have discovered the magic of the silver screen. But what is the dark secret of Holy Wood hill?

It's up to Victor Tugelbend ("Can't sing. Can't dance. Can handle a sword a little.") and Theda Withel ("I come from a little town you've probably never heard of") to find out...

Moving Pictures, the ninth Discworld novel is a gloriously funny saga set against the background of a world gone mad!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006102063X, Mass Market Paperback)

Discworld's pesky alchemists are up to their old tricks again. This time, they've discovered how to get gold from silver -- the silver screen that is. Hearing the siren call of Holy Wood is one Victor Tugelbend, a would-be wizard turned extra. He can't sing, he can't dance, but he can handle a sword (sort of), and now he wants to be a star. So does Theda Withel, an ambitious ingénue from a little town (where else?) you've probably never heard of.

But the click click of moving pictures isn't just stirring up dreams inside Discworld. Holy Wood's magic is drifting out into the boundaries of the universes, where raw realities, the could-have-beens, the might-bes, the never-weres, the wild ideas are beginning to ferment into a really stinky brew. It's up to Victor and Gaspode the Wonder Dog (a star if ever one was born!) to rein in the chaos and bring order back to a starstruck Discworld. And they're definitely not ready for their close-up!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:49 -0400)

A zany bunch of futuristic actors--Victor, the eternal student; Ginger, the milkmaid; Dibbler, the sausage salesman; and Gaspode, the talking dog--embarks on an epic movie project.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,257,135 books! | Top bar: Always visible