Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett

Moving Pictures (1990)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld (10), Discworld: Industrial (1)

English (62)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  Polish (1)  French (1)  All languages (69)
I didn't think there would be a boring Discworld book. Hopefully, this one would be the last of its kind. ( )
  Irena. | Nov 3, 2015 |
Not the most memorable of the Discworld novels but it does have Gaspode the talking dog. ( )
  Lukerik | Oct 20, 2015 |
Moving Pictures is the 10th book in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. This one took a long time for me to get into, which is unusual for a Discworld book. It wasn't until the final third of the book before the story started to draw me in. This time Discworld takes on Hollywood! Or is that a small hill named Holly Wood?

All the jokes and gags you expect from a Discworld novel abound. C. M. O. T. Dibbler channels his inner Cecil B. De Mille to make the greatest moving picture ever, featuring no less than a thousand elephants! You have Laddie the hero dog who saves children from drowning in wells. Trolls who don't want to get type cast. A giant woman carries an ape up a tall building. Even the wizards from Unseen University venture forth to see what all the hubbub is about.

Sometimes eye-roll worthy, sometimes laugh out loud funny, Moving Pictures is an entertaining read. ( )
1 vote Narilka | Sep 1, 2015 |
Classic Terry Pratchett. A fun, witty spoof on Hollywood. What more is there to say? ( )
  fiverivers | Jul 20, 2015 |
This is such a brilliant take on movie making. I kept putting off reading this one for some reason or another (even though I totally love each and every single one of this mans books) and as these thing go, I loved every second of it. The characters are always amazing with Terry Pratchett (got to state the obvious.) I could almost believe this was the real telling of how the moving pictures started (ha ha) and even if not then at least a funnier better version.
Holy Wood (ha ha) has a dark secret. Everyone is drawn to the making of pictures. Victor Tugelbend ("Can't sing. Can't dance. Can handle a sword a little") and (Theda Withel (I come from a little town you've probably never heard of") go to discover what this is (This is brilliant, I love when authors write things like this in a book, you know the 'what they have said' after a name or the 'the name and what is written on graves' etc when talking about someone (if you don't know what I mean never mind haha)..). These two could very nearly be favourite characters of mine, very nearly. I can not stress enough how much this made me laugh. He uses real things and changes them to his own marvelous funny things (Holy Wood and so on.) In this instalment we get The wizards, Gaspode, Dibbler, Actually these are great but a lot partake in this book ( like I said nearly everyone wants to be involved) they even walk from Ankh Morpork. If you like real things with a real good twist read this book in fact read them all. Terry Pratchett knows everything about everything and is willing to make everything his own. He is a masterpiece of knowledge and wit. Just Pure Brilliance! ( )
  darceypaige | Jun 6, 2015 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scanlan, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I would like to thank all the wonderful people who made this book possible. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you . . .
Watch . . . This is space.
She wasn't certain what the future held, but coffee would be involved if she had any say in the matter.
Most alchemists were nervous, in any case; it came from not knowing what the crucible of bubbling stuff they were experimenting with was going to do next.

The alchemists of the Discworld have discovered the magic of the silver screen. But what is the dark secret of Holy Wood hill?

It's up to Victor Tugelbend ("Can't sing. Can't dance. Can handle a sword a little.") and Theda Withel ("I come from a little town you've probably never heard of") to find out...

Moving Pictures, the ninth Discworld novel is a gloriously funny saga set against the background of a world gone mad!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006102063X, Mass Market Paperback)

Discworld's pesky alchemists are up to their old tricks again. This time, they've discovered how to get gold from silver -- the silver screen that is. Hearing the siren call of Holy Wood is one Victor Tugelbend, a would-be wizard turned extra. He can't sing, he can't dance, but he can handle a sword (sort of), and now he wants to be a star. So does Theda Withel, an ambitious ingénue from a little town (where else?) you've probably never heard of.

But the click click of moving pictures isn't just stirring up dreams inside Discworld. Holy Wood's magic is drifting out into the boundaries of the universes, where raw realities, the could-have-beens, the might-bes, the never-weres, the wild ideas are beginning to ferment into a really stinky brew. It's up to Victor and Gaspode the Wonder Dog (a star if ever one was born!) to rein in the chaos and bring order back to a starstruck Discworld. And they're definitely not ready for their close-up!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:49 -0400)

A zany bunch of futuristic actors--Victor, the eternal student; Ginger, the milkmaid; Dibbler, the sausage salesman; and Gaspode, the talking dog--embarks on an epic movie project.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,882,401 books! | Top bar: Always visible