Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett

Moving Pictures (1990)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld (10), Discworld: Industrial (1)

7,20878494 (3.73)167

English (70)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  Polish (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All (78)
One of the first Pratchetts I ever read, making it an odd re-read as there are bits teenage-me had practically memorised. Read this because I'd just read Gone With The Wind, it was funny and page turning and had some classic Pratchett moments, but it's not Small Gods. [I love the Laddie/Gaspode difference between being a Wonder Dog and _looking_ like a Wonder Dog though, it's done beautifully] ( )
  atreic | Apr 25, 2017 |
I didn't think there would be a boring Discworld book. Hopefully, this one would be the last of its kind. ( )
  Aneris | Apr 22, 2017 |
This is a great book to listen to with someone else. We had great fun catching all the films that were alluded to . Great laughs! Nigel Planer did a bang up job narrating. ( )
  njcur | Mar 28, 2017 |
It starts with the death of an old man on a lonely beach. He is the last of his line, the last one who remembers the rituals that have to be enacted to keep the potent force buried beneath the sands from breaking through into reality. For this sandy, forgotten place on a slight hill by the dunes was once known as the Holy Wood. It demands attention. And, with the old man’s absence, something begins to wake… something wonderful… something mischievous… something which is ready for its close-up.

In the Alchemists’ quarter, a strange new technology is unveiled while, across the city, the ancient magic of Holy Wood seeps into the sleep of the more susceptible citizens. Victor, a student wizard, finds himself dreaming of swashbuckling and saving maidens and the light glinting off his smile. Cut-My-Own-Throat Dibbler, incorrigible entrepreneur and purveyor of dubious snacks, dreams of studios and lights, cameras and action. And Gaspode, a world-weary mongrel, suddenly finds that he is able to talk. Each of them is drawn to this lonely sandy place out by the sea, where they tackle the great questions of cinema: why is every story improved by being set ‘in a worlde gone madde’? How can one get hold of a thousand elephants? And what exactly is the point of banged grains?

For the full review, please see my blog:
https://theidlewoman.net/2017/03/07/moving-pictures-terry-pratchett/ ( )
  TheIdleWoman | Mar 9, 2017 |
Terry Pratchett takes on Hollywood, er, um, Holy Wood. This book was great fun, and if you are familiar with old movies, it is even more hilarious. The last third of the book had me laughing so hard, I don't think I'll need an ab workout tomorrow.
Suddenly ideas are coming forth into Discworld. Whether they are new ideas or not is up for debate, but their effect is undeniable. Lives are changed, countries moved, inspirations for the masses, or are they? Chimera or reality, is the debate in this novel, and a worthy debate it is. What is real? What makes it real? I'm not sure we find the answers here, but it's a lot of fun exploring them. Victor shines in this book, I wonder if we ever meet him again? Gaspode is a great hero as is Detritus, though neither are what I've come to expect from the Watch series. The Patrician is as sensible as ever, and Death is faithful. ( )
  MrsLee | Nov 25, 2016 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scanlan, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
I would like to thank all the wonderful people who made this book possible. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you . . .
Watch . . . This is space.
She wasn't certain what the future held, but coffee would be involved if she had any say in the matter.
Most alchemists were nervous, in any case; it came from not knowing what the crucible of bubbling stuff they were experimenting with was going to do next.

The alchemists of the Discworld have discovered the magic of the silver screen. But what is the dark secret of Holy Wood hill?

It's up to Victor Tugelbend ("Can't sing. Can't dance. Can handle a sword a little.") and Theda Withel ("I come from a little town you've probably never heard of") to find out...

Moving Pictures, the ninth Discworld novel is a gloriously funny saga set against the background of a world gone mad!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006102063X, Mass Market Paperback)

Discworld's pesky alchemists are up to their old tricks again. This time, they've discovered how to get gold from silver -- the silver screen that is. Hearing the siren call of Holy Wood is one Victor Tugelbend, a would-be wizard turned extra. He can't sing, he can't dance, but he can handle a sword (sort of), and now he wants to be a star. So does Theda Withel, an ambitious ingénue from a little town (where else?) you've probably never heard of.

But the click click of moving pictures isn't just stirring up dreams inside Discworld. Holy Wood's magic is drifting out into the boundaries of the universes, where raw realities, the could-have-beens, the might-bes, the never-weres, the wild ideas are beginning to ferment into a really stinky brew. It's up to Victor and Gaspode the Wonder Dog (a star if ever one was born!) to rein in the chaos and bring order back to a starstruck Discworld. And they're definitely not ready for their close-up!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:49 -0400)

A zany bunch of futuristic actors--Victor, the eternal student; Ginger, the milkmaid; Dibbler, the sausage salesman; and Gaspode, the talking dog--embarks on an epic movie project.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,479,247 books! | Top bar: Always visible