The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall (1848)

by Anne Brontë

4,5831071,047 (3.94)2 / 347

English (104)  French (2)  Hungarian (1)  English (107)
I loved this book. I did skip the sermon-like paragraphs, which might make me a bad Victorianist, but it was at times George Eliot-like didacticism. Anne wrote a better heroine than Emily or Charlotte, though my heart will always belong to Jane and Mr. Rochester. ( )
  Sareene | Oct 22, 2016 |
Published in 1848, this novel is a true feminist manifesto, arguing for a woman's rights to independence and acting as a warning on the pitfalls of romantic marriage. Helen 'Graham', and young widow, is a new arrival in a small town in Yorkshire, where she and her young son take up a few rooms at the creepy old Wildfell Hall. Told in epistolary form, it begins with the narration of Gilbert Markham, one of the inhabitants of the town who takes a great and immediate liking to the young mother. She becomes the target of much gossip and speculation, at first because of her odd quirks; she refuses to be separated from her son even for short visits, doesn't return social calls, and soon thereafter because she is suspected of having a romantic relationship with her landlord, the young Frederick Lawrence. We learn about Helen's recent past when the narration switches to her diary, in which she describes her disastrous marriage and how she came to live in Wildfell Hall. Helen is a talented artist who must support herself through her paintings, becoming self-supportive after being forced to take matters in her own hands following her ill-fated love match to Arthur Huntingdon. Themes of faith, loyalty and morality play a large part in the story, as they do in most (all?) of the Brontë sisters oeuvre, and this is understandable, but the choices our heroine makes out of her moral convictions are both admirable and maddeningly frustrating in turns, which only enforces the message of how limited a woman's options were and how much self-sacrifice was expected of a mother and wife. I've not given it the full four-stars, because of how frustrated I was with Helen at times, but it's a great read in the romantic gothic style and no doubt was a strong inspiration for feminists at times when the word itself had only recently been coined (in 1851). ★★★¾ ( )
1 vote Smiler69 | Aug 13, 2016 |
Gilbert Markham is a young man falls for a woman who has moved into a large house in his neighborhood. Her background is a bit of a mystery. As Gilbert becomes more attached her past is slowly revealed in the form of a journal.

The titular character, Helen Graham, escaped from an abusive marriage with her young son. I was in awe of Anne Bronte’s ability to tell such a relevant story in 1848. There are so many women who find themselves in the same situation today. She was young and naïve when she married Arthur Huntingdon and by the time she learned his true character it was too late.

The writing is wonderful and for me that story pulled me in completely. The author tells the story from Gilbert’s point-of-view at times and from Helen’s at other times. The changing narrative flowed well and never rang false.

Bronte covers some intense subjects in the book. In addition to infidelity and alcoholism, she makes some disturbing observations about women’s rights during this time period. Sometimes it’s easy to forget how far we’ve come in the last few years.

BOTTOM LINE: For me, this Bronte novel fell right under Jane Eyre in my ranking. The characters aren’t as likeable, but the story is powerful.

“If you would have your son to walk honorably through the world, you must not attempt to clear the stones from his path, but teach him to walk firmly over them - not insist upon leading him by the hand, but let him learn to go alone.”

“When I tell you not to marry without love, I do not advise you to marry for love alone: there are many, many other things to be considered. Keep both heart and hand in your own possession, till you see good reason to part with them; and if such an occasion should never present itself, comfort your mind with this reflection, that though in single life your joys may not be very many, your sorrows, at least, will not be more than you can bear. Marriage may change your circumstances for the better, but, in my private opinion, it is far more likely to produce a contrary result.” ( )
  bookworm12 | Aug 11, 2016 |
The bad people are all horrible and the pious people are all saintly. No one is even remotely in the grey-area. Mr Hargrave seems to get a bit of a personality transplant halfway through. Helen is almost insufferable. Her aunt gets proved right, despite having a despicable (even for the time) attitude towards her niece. Anne can't pull off the pious heroine in the same way that Charlotte did in Villette, she just makes her horrendous. And who the fuck is Gilbert, anyway? He's so boring as to be utterly lacking in impact.

The writing was pretty good, though. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Aug 7, 2016 |
"profane expressions, inconceivably coarse language, and revolting scenes and descriptions by which its pages are disfigured"
added by GYKM | editSharpe's London Magazine

"a morbid love for the coarse, not to say the brutal"
added by GYKM | editSpectator

"The reader of Acton Bell gains no enlarged view of mankind, giving a healthy action to his sympathies, but is confined to a narrow space of life, and held down, as it were, by main force, to witness the wolfish side of his nature literally and logically set forth."
added by GYKM | editNorth American Review

Brontë, Anneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Agutter, JennyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jennings, AlexNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
May, NadiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosengarten, HerbertEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stephens, IanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, Mrs. HumphryIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must go back with me to the autumn of 1827.

A woman recounts her difficult marriage to an alcoholic and her battles with society's double standards when she leaves him, taking her son with her.

"I no longer love my husband – I HATE him! The word stares at me in the face like a guilty confession"

Gilbert Markham is deeply intrigued by Helen Graham, a beautiful and secretive young woman who has moved into nearby Wildfell Hall with her young son. He is quick to offer Helen his friendship, but when her reclusive behaviour becomes the subject of local gossip and speculation, Gilbert begins to wonder whether his trust in her has been misplaced. It is only when she allows Gilbert to read her diary that the truth is revealed and the shocking details of the disastrous marriage she has left behind emerge. Told with great immediacy, combined with wit and irony, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall is a powerful depiction of a woman’s struggle for domestic independence and creative freedom.

In her introduction Steve Davies discusses The Tenant of Wildfell Hall as feminist testament, inspired by Anne Brontë’s experiences as a governess and by the death of her brother Branwell Brontë, and examines the novel’s language, biblical references and narrative styles.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:23 -0400)

The mysterious new tenant of Wildfell Hall is a strong-minded woman who keeps her own counsel. Helen 'Graham' - exiled with her child to the desolate moorland mansion, adopting an assumed name and earning her living as a painter - has returned to Wildfell Hall in flight from a disastrous marriage. Narrated by her neighbour Gilbert Markham, and in the pages of her own diary, the novel portrays Helen's eloquent struggle for independence at a time when the law and society defined a married woman as her husband's property.… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140434747, 0141035633, 0141199350

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,725,358 books! | Top bar: Always visible