The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins…

The Yellow Wallpaper (1892)

by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

2,1621014,536 (4.01)1 / 296
    The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (SandSing7)
    The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (wonderlake)
    The Edible Woman by Margaret Atwood (Anonymous user)
    Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf (KayCliff)
    The Awakening and Selected Stories by Kate Chopin (Booksloth)
    The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell (Nickelini)
    Nickelini: Maggie O'Farrell says that The Yellow Wallpaper was a major influence in writng The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox
    The Widow's House by Carol Goodman (sturlington)
    sturlington: The Widow's House makes several allusions to "The Yellow Wallpaper."
    The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë (TheLittlePhrase)
    The Shutter of Snow by Emily Holmes Coleman (meggyweg)
    The Victorian Chaise-Longue by Marghanita Laski (SJaneDoe)
    The Vegetarian by Han Kang (MissBrangwen)
    MissBrangwen: Although they were written in different periods of time, both texts reminded me of each other because of their dealing with the female experience of confinement.
    The Collector by John Fowles (infiniteletters)

English (100)  German (1)  All languages (101)
Read this short story in 1 sitting. It is the story of a woman's descent into madness following the birth of her child and the subsequent enforced rest. She is taken to a country house to recover and spends most of her time confined to a room with horrid yellow wallpaper. The description of the room makes me think what happens to the woman has happened in the past. A creepy, thought provoking read. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
well that was a powerful story... ( )
  gwengaudet | May 24, 2019 |
well that was a powerful story... ( )
  gwengaudet | May 24, 2019 |
So maybe its true - most of this story's notoriety comes from it being published in 1892 rather than its subject matter. It is a great story but vagaries in the story's development, the awkwardness of the journal format continuing after the lady's mind is clearly long gone, and maybe some other nitpicks deflate the MONUMENTAL status the story has.

Maybe its true, but I don't care. I like it. It's good. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
This book was written by a woman who was depressed and sent to the country to rest. The woman wants to be a writer, but her husband and doctor feel that she just needs to rest and relax so that she can get back home to her children. But instead of resting, she is confined to a room in a house with "hideous" yellow wallpaper where she descends into madness.

This is a very short book that was originally written in 1892. It captivates a "rest cure" that doctors used to prescribed to women who seemed to be depressed after childbirth. This woman sinks to insanity and blames most of it one the yellow wallpaper in her room. She starts to hallucinate that there are people in the wallpaper that are trying to get her.

This book is a good depiction of depression and how it can be misdiagnosed and mismanaged. It was a quick read, and an interesting one at that, so check it out. ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |

Gilman, Charlotte Perkinsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hedges, Elaine R.Afterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Farrell, MaggieIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Potter, KirstenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is very seldom that mere ordinary people like John and myself secure ancestral halls for the summer.
There are things in that paper that nobody knows but me, or ever will.
It is the same woman, I know, for she is always creeping, and most women do not creep by daylight.
Personally, I believe that congenial work, with excitement and change, would do me good.
He is very careful and loving, and hardly lets me stir without special direction.
The color is repellent, almost revolting; a smouldering unclean yellow, strangely faded by the slow-turning sunlight.
This is the short story, including the Feminist Press Reprint No. 3 edition (1973) and Virago Modern Classic No. 50 (1981). Please do NOT combine with any anthology or other collection, but only with other editions confirmed as having the same contents. Thank you.

"The Yellow Wallpaper" is about a woman who suffers from mental illness after three months of being trapped within her home staring at the same revolting yellow wall paper. Charlotte Perkins Gilman wrote this story to change people's minds about the role of women in her society, illustrating how women's lack of autonomy is detrimental to their mental, emotional, and even physical well being. The narrator in "The Yellow Wallpaper" must do as her husband and male doctor demand, though the treatment they prescribe to her contrasts directly with what she truly needs--mental stimulation, and the freedom to escape the monotony of the room to which she is confined. "The Yellow Wallpaper" was essentially a response to the doctor who tried to cure Charlotte Perkins Gilman of post-partum depression through a "rest cure," Dr. S. Weir Mitchell, and she sent him a copy of the story. Although "The Yellow Wallpaper" is not the first or longest of her works, it is without question Gilman's most famous piece and became a best-seller of the Feminist Press.
She makes her own friends
to escape her depression.
Fall into madness.
(DeusXMachina)

Quality Classics

We specialize in creating hard to find, high quality classic books optimized for the Kindle.

We always have the highest quality books. Sick of spelling errors, weird characters, or a lack of pictures in illustrated books? Well we know how you feel. All of our books are formatted and reviewed by an actual human for the Kindle, and always 99 cents.

To find more of our books search "Quality Classics" in Amazon.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:50 -0400)

The study of a woman's gradual mental breakdown. While taking a rest cure, the wallpaper becomes her focus of discontent. While her madness progresses, so does her awareness of the way her creative energies are curtailed. Her obsession with the wallpaper continues as she struggles to free the woman crawling behind the pattern.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,737,032 books! | Top bar: Always visible