Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy

Tess of the d'Urbervilles (1891)

by Thomas Hardy

Other authors: Tim Horton (Editor), Shirley Joshua (Editor)

Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (alaudacorax)
    alaudacorax: At the moment, I think this is the finest of Hardy's novels - if you've read and liked any of the others I'm sure you'll like this. If you've been turned-off by the grimness of some of his others - Tess ..., for instance - you might well find this more palatable.… (more)
    Middlemarch (1/2) by George Eliot (readerbabe1984)
    Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (roby72)
    Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy (Booksloth)
    Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe (roby72)
    The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James (roby72)
    Great Expectations by Charles Dickens (Johanna11)
    Johanna11: Both books write about people with expectations for their future, both are very well written at the end of the nineteenth century.
    The Quarry Wood by Nan Shepherd (edwinbcn)
    edwinbcn: Written by a woman, "The Quarry Wood" explores the awakening sexuality and awareness of the young Martha. More outspoken than Thomas Hardy, but not yet as free as D.H. Lawrence.
    Adam Bede by George Eliot (Heather39)
    Heather39: Both books tell the story of a young, working class woman who enters into a relationship with a gentleman, eventually to her downfall.
    Muriel's Wedding [1994 film] by P. J. Hogan (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: Muriel's Wedding could be paired with Tess of the D'Urbervilles as well as several other novels, such as, My Brilliant Career by Miles Franklin, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen and even with Shakespeare's play Much Ado About Nothing
    Villette by Charlotte Brontë (allenmichie)
1890s (14)

English (154)  French (4)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Bulgarian (1)  All languages (162)
I first read this in high school and read it again "just because" when I was in college (or just out of college). I think I'll have to re-read it to give it any type of real review.

Updated March 31, 2011
I’ve read this classic twice before, so decided to listen to the audio version.

Hardy tells the story of the young woman, Tess Derbyfield, whose father has recently been informed that he is descended from an old noble family – the d’Urbervilles. Her family being in difficult straits, her mother sends Tess to the d’Urbervilles in hopes that she will make a family connection and improve the family’s lot. What they don’t know is that the current d’Urbervilles are really Stokes … having adopted the d’Urberville name because it sounded good.

Thus innocent Tess is set on a path that will lead to her destruction. She falls victim to lust, poverty and hypocrisy. Hardy makes it clear that Tess is not truly at fault, but also gives her a sense of guilt and pride that further hinder any efforts to better her circumstances. The tale must end tragically, given the times, Tess’s lack of education, her place in society, and that society’s mores; though the reader hopes for a happier outcome.

Simon Vance does an admirable job performing this book. He has a resonant voice that is perfect for the narration, and is able to adopt various “voices” to differentiate the characters. I do not usually like to hear a man perform a woman’s voice, but Vance does a creditable job there, too.

Hardy’s writing is beautiful and evocative. On completing Tess, Hardy, himself, wrote, “I have put in it the best of me.” I certainly can’t argue with that. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jan 22, 2016 |
This is why they're classics! I've read this book twice. Thomas Hardy is sublime. ( )
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |
I'm loathe to give my first read of 2013 a 5/5 but this one definitely comes close! Proper review to follow but for now I must just say that I loved it! 4½/5, maybe! :) ( )
  Bagpuss | Jan 17, 2016 |
This wasn't a bad book, but it was hard for me to get through. I think it was mostly the language that I had trouble with, but I just couldn't seem to stay awake and focused on the text. Reading a few pages at a time during tv commercials helped a lot though. I thought it did pick up a bit towards the end. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
Daring in its treatment of conventional ideas, pathetic in its sadness, and profoundly stirring by its tragic power. The very title, "Tess of the D'Urbervilles: A Pure Woman", is a challenge to convention.

Thomas Hardyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

'...Poor wounded name! My bosom as a bed | Shall lodge thee.', - W. Shakespeare [Two Gentlemen of Verona, Act 1, Scene 2, 111/12] & should read: 'Poor wounded name: My bosom as a bed | Shall lodge thee...', [Riverside Shakespeare (1997)].
On an evening in the latter part of May a middle-aged man was walking homeward from Shaston to the village of Marlott, in the adjoining Vale of Blakemore or Blackmoor.

In order to step out of family poverty, Tess attempts to find her ancient relations, the d'Urbervilles. Unfortunately, she is taken advantage of by a man which causes her even more strife throughout the rest of her life. She is forced into a moral delimma when she truly falls in love with another man due to her previous circumstances. More conflicted than ever, Tess is able to eventually become a strong woman who makes choices for herself instead of what the society tells her is right. This book was some what a hard book for me to get through because some parts of it seem very dry, but overall the story line is interesting.

The chance discovery by a young peasant woman that she is a descendant of the noble family of d'Urbervilles is to change the course of her life. Tess Durbeyfield leaves home on the first of her fateful journeys, and meets the ruthless Alec d'Urberville. Thomas Hardy's impassioned story tells of hope and disappointment, rejection and enduring love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:21 -0400)

"When Tess Durbeyfield is driven by family poverty to claim kinship with the wealthy D'Urbervilles and seek a portion of their family fortune, meeting her 'cousin' Alec proves to be her downfall. A very different man, Angel Clare, seems to offer her love and salvation, but Tess must choose whether to reveal her past or remain silent in the hope of a peaceful future. With its sensitive depiction of the wronged Tess and powerful criticism of social convention, Tess of the D'Urbervilles is one of the most moving and poetic of Hardy's novels. Based on the three-volume first edition that shocked readers when first published in 1891, this edition includes as appendices: Hardy's Prefaces, the Landscapes of Tess, episodes originally censored from the Graphic periodical version and a selection of the Graphic illustrations."--Back cover.… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439599, 0141028904, 0141199946

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,160,527 books! | Top bar: Always visible