Anna Karenina (1877)

by Leo Tolstoy

32,29955558 (4.15)7 / 1592
Anna Karenina tells of the doomed love affair between the sensuous and rebellious Anna and the dashing officer, Count Vronsky. Tragedy unfolds as Anna rejects her passionless marriage and must endure the hypocrisies of society. Set against a vast and richly textured canvas of nineteenth-century Russia, the novel's seven major characters create a dynamic imbalance, playing out the contrasts of city and country life and all the variations on love and family happiness. While previous versions have softened the robust, and sometimes shocking, quality of Tolstoy's writing, Pevear and Volokhonsky have produced a translation true to his powerful voice. This award-winning team's authoritative edition also includes an illuminating introduction and explanatory notes. Beautiful, vigorous, and eminently readable, this Anna Karenina will be the definitive text for generations to come.… (more)
    Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert (roby72)
    Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (Booksloth, luzestrella)
    luzestrella: when I got to the middle of the book I was shocked. It seens like the climax of all the main conclicts were already there. Why didn't the author cut the novel right there with that happy ending? Unnusual for a ficcion novel indeep. But for that particular reason, for me it has it's charm. The other half of the novel goes on describing what happened with the characters after they got what they wanted.… (more)
    The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton (roby72)
    The Princesse de Clèves by Madame de La Fayette (andejons)
    andejons: Similar premises: married, upper class women fall in love with men of less than perfect moral standing. The outcomes are very different though.
    Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann (Henrik_Madsen)
    Henrik_Madsen: To romaner af murstensstørrelse der analyserer og beskriver overklassefamiliernes komplicerede liv.
    The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber (pingdjip)
    pingdjip: Like Tolstoy, Faber goes under his characters' skin, ponders their social manoeuvering, and follows the pitfalls and triumphs of their lives. Difference: Faber is funny and sometimes provocative and teasing in a "postmodern" way.
    La Regenta by Leopoldo Alas (alalba)
    Emma by Jane Austen (roby72)
    What Happened to Anna K.: A Novel by Irina Reyn (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Irina Reyn updates the classic _Anna Karenina_ to the Russian diaspora of New York City.
    Eirelan by Liam O'Shiel (snarkhunting)
    snarkhunting: Both books build complex stories that delve into the nature of loyalty in relationships.
    The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera (alalba)
    Een zuivere liefde by Sofja Tolstaja (Monika_L)
    The Maias by Eca de Queiros (Anonymous user)
    A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth (uri-starkey)
Read (10)

English (505)  Italian (11)  Spanish (8)  Dutch (8)  French (4)  Catalan (3)  Swedish (3)  German (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hebrew (1)  Czech (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (550)
Though I thoroughly enjoyed this book- particularly the social commentaries hidden within the text regarding the difference between men and women and how society views each- I found myself struggling to stay focused at parts, primarily the descriptions of the political issues of the time. My friends and I argued back and forth on how the novel was also meant to represent the rise of communism, and maybe that was so, but I did not feel that was the main theme of the book. There were multiple chapters that could have been taken out of the story and their absence would not have been missed. That aside, I found myself captivated with the characters of the story and very impressed with just how unbiased Tolstoy remained in his narration. Any assumptions the reader made about the characters was brought on by their actions and dialogue rather than Tolstoy's descriptions. ( )
  sammers99 | May 3, 2021 |
A magnificent novel, but I am not entirely convinced by the telling of two stories at once. However, many insights into the lives of Russians at this time.
  jgoodwll | Apr 30, 2021 |
There were some really good parts, but they don't make up for aaaaaaaaaaaallllllllll the tedious parts.

I listened to the audio book and had 2 hours leading up to her suicide when I turned it off. I just didn't care enough about her to listen to it. Frankly, I wished she'd done it sooner and more quickly. ( )
  KittyCunningham | Apr 26, 2021 |
My favorite book ever. Possibly the most romantic thing I have ever read. "He stepped down, trying not to look long at her, as if she were the sun, yet he saw her, like the sun, even without looking." ( )
  Rachel_Cucinella | Apr 24, 2021 |
It is a very well written book with an interesting plot. However, it did not capture me. I didn't get that "I can't put this book down" feeling. I could not connect with Anna and her motivations, so all her actions seemed utterly bizarre to me.

I wasn't sure what score to give it. I think the reputation of the novel has me giving it a higher score than I normally would have. ( )
  SeekingApatheia | Apr 13, 2021 |
De nieuwe vertaling van Anna Karenina leest als een trein, dankzij allerlei knappe vondsten van vertaler Hans Boland.

Tolstoy, Leoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Troyat, HenriIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Volohonsky, LarissaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zinovieff, KyrilTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vengeance is mine; I will repay. ~ Deuteronomy 32:35
Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way. (C. Garnett, 1946) and (J. Carmichael, 1960)
Все счастливые семьи похожи друг на друга, каждая несчастливая семья несчастлива по-своему. Всё смешалось в доме Облонских.
All happy families resemble one another, but each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.
All happy families resemble one another, every unhappy family is unhappy after its own fashion. (N. H. Dole, 1886)
All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way. (Pevear, Volokhonsky, 2000)
"Respect was invented to cover the empty place where love should be." [Anna, p744 (2000)]
"He has long ceased loving me. And where love stops, hatred begins." [Anna, p763 (2000)]
Every minute of Alexei Alexandrovich's life was occupied and scheduled. And in order to have time to do what he had to do each day, he held to the strictest punctuality. 'Without haste and without rest' was his motto. [p109 (2000)]
Every man, knowing to the smallest detail all the complexity of the conditions surrounding him, involuntarily assumes that the complexity of these conditions and the difficulty of comprehending them are only his personal, accidental peculiarity, and never thinks that others are surrounded by the same complexity as he is. [p302 (2000)]
Vronsky meanwhile, despite the full realization of what he had desired for so long, was not fully happy. He soon felt that the realization of his desire had given him only a grain of the mountain of happiness he had expected. It showed him the the eternal error people make in imagining that happiness is the realization of desires. [...] He soon felt arise in his soul a desire for desires, an anguish. [p465 (2000)]
This is the work for the complete Anna Karenina. Please do not combine with any of the works representing the individual volumes (see combination rules regarding part/whole issues for details), or with abridged versions. Thank you.

Please keep the Norton Critical Edition un-combined with the rest of them – it is significantly different with thorough explanatory annotations, essays by other authors, and reviews by other authors. Thank you.

Wikipedia: Anna Karenina (Russian: «Анна Каренина», IPA: [ˈanːə kɐˈrʲenʲɪnə])[1] is a novel by the Russian author Leo Tolstoy, first published in book form in 1878. Many writers consider Anna Karenina the greatest work of literature ever,[2] and Tolstoy himself called it his first true novel. It was initially released in serial installments from 1873 to 1877 in the periodical The Russian Messenger.

A complex novel in eight parts, with more than a dozen major characters, it is spread over more than 800 pages (depending on the translation and publisher), typically contained in two volumes. It deals with themes of betrayal, faith, family, marriage, Imperial Russian society, desire, and rural vs. city life. The plot centers on an extramarital affair between Anna and dashing cavalry officer Count Alexei Kirillovich Vronsky that scandalizes the social circles of Saint Petersburg and forces the young lovers to flee to Italy in a search for happiness. Returning to Russia, their lives further unravel.

Trains are a recurring motif throughout the novel, which takes place against the backdrop of rapid transformations as a result of the liberal reforms initiated by Emperor Alexander II of Russia, with several major plot points taking place either on passenger trains or at stations in Saint Petersburg or elsewhere in Russia. The novel has been adapted into various media including theatre, opera, film, television, ballet, figure skating and radio drama. The first of many film adaptations was released in 1911 but has not survived.
The moral of this:
Adultery drives one mad.
And watch out for trains.
(hillaryrose7)

4 1902

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451528611, 0140449175, 0141194324, 0141391898

The Planet

An edition of this book was published by The Planet.

Voland Edizioni

An edition of this book was published by Voland Edizioni.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,863,546 books! | Top bar: Always visible