Emma (1816)

by Jane Austen

31,59043265 (4.07)3 / 1642
Content with her life and not interested in marriage, Emma Woodhouse, a rich and beautiful heiress, causes complications with her matchmaking schemes.
    Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Flora is very clearly modeled on Emma.
    Mary Barton by Elizabeth Gaskell (kara.shamy)
    kara.shamy: In some ways the heroines in these two novels are alike, but they are very different in other respects, and more strikingly, their respective journeys to the altar/married life go in diametrically opposite ways, in a sense! Both are true classics in my estimation; reading these two novels exposes the reader to two of the greatest English-language novelists of all time in the height of their respective powers. While all readers and critics do not and will not share this superlative view, few would dispute these are two early female masters of the form and are well worth a read on that humbler basis ;) Enjoy!… (more)
    The Makioka Sisters by Jun'ichirō Tanizaki (Sarasamsara)
    Sarasamsara: Like Austen's novels, The Makioka Sisters traces the daily lives and romances of an upper-class family-- the only difference is that this is pre-war Japan, not Regency England. Like in one of Austen's works, when you close the novel you feel like you are closing the door on someone's life.… (more)
    Miss Marjoribanks by Margaret Oliphant (nessreader)
    nessreader: Both Emma and Miss M are about ambitious, capable upper class women who can only express themselves as social hostesses. Both heroines are managing and bossy - Miss M, a generation younger, is played more for laughs, but there is a strong parallel. And both end in utter satisfaction for heroine and reader alike.… (more)
    The Scandal of the Season: A Novel by Sophie Gee (SandSing7)
    The Victorian Governess by Kathryn Hughes (susanbooks)
    susanbooks: Though Austen is writing before the Victorian age, Hughes' book helps give an idea of the kind of life Jane Fairfax was facing.
    The Espressologist by Kristina Springer (dizzyweasel)
    dizzyweasel: Adorable remake of Emma, set in a coffeehouse with a matchmaking barista.
    Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (roby72)
1810s (5)

English (405)  Italian (7)  Spanish (5)  Swedish (3)  French (2)  Norwegian (1)  Lithuanian (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (429)
Definitivamente, Emma no es de mis protagonistas preferidas. Rica y consentida, manipula continuamente para que se hagan realidad sus ilusiones. Pero bueno, en general, me gustó. Le explotó en la cara. ( )
  ItsAkirex | May 6, 2021 |
Emma is the most annoying of Jane's protagonists and yet Mr. Knightly saves us all.

"If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more." ( )
  Rachel_Cucinella | Apr 24, 2021 |
This is not my favorite Austen novel. There isn't really a single character that I liked, but it is well written. The ending is great. ( )
  CassandraNicole | Apr 22, 2021 |
I have been playing this mind game while reading this book: If Jane Austen was to give it a title in the form of “pride and prejudice” or “sense and sensibility”, what adjectives would she had chosen for this book? I think Presumption would likely describe my first sentiment about it, but then I have trouble coming up with the next adjective to counter it. Presumption and Discernment, maybe?

I liked it very much. With every book of Jane Austen I read, I am more impressed by her sensibility towards human motivation, be it social or sentimental. Of course she wrote of a society so much different than mine, where women’s prospects were very much linked to marriage, and where the social stratification defined every aspect of socialization. Her capability to comprehend her own historical moment and the social interactions that surrounded her are remarkable.

Not long ago I gave 5 stars to Mansfield Park but by comparison the characters in Emma are less black and white, their motivations more real: jealousy, snobbery, hypochondria, righteousness. Yet we forgive them because we also see goodness and shame in the realization that they were not so noble after all.

There is a formula in Austen that I am starting to discern. I am not Austen academic, and have read some of her books too long ago – translated to Portuguese nevertheless – but she seems to weave a cautionary tale on the stories she tells; an alert for all of us to be aware of how social rules may lead to misunderstandings, how we hurt one another and ourselves by sticking too close to those rules, or when we deviate too far from those rules too. She also favors the good, the humble, those with moral fortitude. It seems that her endings are always happy though.

Something else, wise Mr. Knightley, I like you much better than snob Mr. Darcy! And I liked Mr. Darcy for a long time… I still like Elizabeth Bennet better than Emma though!
  RosanaDR | Apr 15, 2021 |
edizione amazon kindle che non trovo perchè non più disponibile sul sito amazon
  perseveranza | Feb 24, 2021 |
The institution of marriage, like the novel itself, has changed greatly since Austen’s time; but as long as human beings long for this kind of mutual recognition and understanding, “Emma” will live.
added by danielx | editNew York TImes, Adam Kirsch (pay site) (Dec 27, 2015)

“Perhaps the key to Emma’s perfection, however, is that it is a comic novel, written in a mode that rarely gets much respect. It’s exquisitely ironic.”

“The presiding message of the novel is that we must forgive Emma for her shortcomings just as she can and does learn to excuse the sometimes vexing people around her. There is, I believe, more wisdom in that than in many, many more portentous and ambitious novels. Emma is flawed, but ‘Emma’ is flawless."
added by danielx | editSalon.com, Laura Miller (Dec 23, 2015)

It’s a small but striking and instructive demonstration, the careful way Emma appraises the character of the various men who jockey for her attentions and those of the women around her. We could all learn from her example.
added by danielx | editNew York Times, Anna Holmes (pay site) (Dec 1, 2015)

"In January 1814, Jane Austen sat down to write a revolutionary novel. Emma, the book she composed over the next year, was to change the shape of what is possible in fiction."

"The novel’s stylistic innovations allow it to explore not just a character’s feelings, but, comically, her deep ignorance of her own feelings. "

"Those who condemn the novel by saying that its heroine is a snob miss the point. Of course she is. But Austen, with a refusal of moralism worthy of Flaubert, abandons her protagonist to her snobbery and confidently risks inciting foolish readers to think that the author must be a snob too"

Austen, Janeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Emma (1948TVIMDb)
To His Royal Highness, the Prince Regent, this work is, by His Royal Highness's permission, most respectfully dedicated, by His Royal Highness's dutiful and obedient humble servant, the author.
Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with very little to distress or vex her.
Silly things do cease to be silly if they are done by sensible people in an impudent way.
"I thank you; but I assure you, you are quite mistaken. Mr. Elton and I are very good friends, and nothing more, and she walked on, amusing herself in the consideration of the blunders which often arise from a partial knowledge of circumstances, of the mistakes which people of high pretensions to judgment are for every falling into..." (Emma)
"I always deserve the best treatment because I never put up with any other."
Seldom, very seldom, does complete truth belong to any human disclosure.
I have seen a great many lists of her drawing up at various times of books that she meant to read regularly through--and very good books they were--very well chosen and very neatly arranged--sometimes alphabetically and sometimes by some other rule.

Mix-match my neighbors
Meddles. Learns lessons.
(pickupsticks)
She can do no wrong
Matchmaking busybody
Knightley sets things right.
(pickupsticks)

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439580, 0141028092, 0143106465, 0141199520

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175951, 1909175315

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,996,217 books! | Top bar: Always visible