Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons

Cold Comfort Farm (1932)

by Stella Gibbons

Emma by Jane Austen (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Flora is very clearly modeled on Emma.
    Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Another brilliant parody.
    The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer (Bjace)
    Bjace: While it's not in the same genre, the books are similiar. Both Sophy and Flora Post are Miss Fix-its, whose practical, problem-solving approach to life is a contrast to the silliness of their relatives. Also, both are delightful reads in different ways.
    Mapp and Lucia by E. F. Benson (Michael.Rimmer)
    Big Fish: A Novel of Mythic Proportions by Daniel Wallace (msouliere)
    Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson (amanda4242)
    amanda4242: Both books are sure to cheer up anyone having a miserable day.
    The Straight and Narrow Path by Honor Tracy (rebeccanyc)
    rebeccanyc: Another satire, this time of the Irish countryside, the English in Ireland, and the Catholic church.
    A Room with a View by E. M. Forster (upster)
    upster: It's refreshing and fun
    Who was Changed and Who was Dead by Barbara Comyns (laytonwoman3rd)
    Precious Bane by Mary Webb (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: The one is a parody of the other.
    My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell (MyriadBooks)
    The Rainbow by D. H. Lawrence (thorold)
    thorold: The Rainbow is a great novel that's well worth reading for its own sake, but it's also the supreme example of the over-portentous way of writing about the countryside that makes the parody in Cold Comfort Farm so hilarious.
1930s (10)
Satire (12)

English (180)  Spanish (5)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  All languages (188)
I hadn't expected to like this book so much but I found it totally engrossing and very sweet and funny. If you are a logophile, you will really enjoy it. Such fun to read. ( )
  Katie80 | Oct 8, 2018 |
Charming, engaging, gently amusing, but some of the best jokes have entered the popular consciousness to a degree that they feel a bit tired in the book itself. I wish I had read it younger, but I'm not sorry I read it. ( )
  amydross | Oct 2, 2018 |
As part of this year's UK Reading Challenge, I tried to read Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons. It's a satire about 19-year old orphan Flora Poste who decides to go live with her distant relatives (or something) instead of getting a job and becoming a productive member of society. She DOES have a one hundred pounds a year income, for what it's worth...but living on a farm in the middle of nowhere sounds more interesting. And she could always write a novel about it. Someday.

I tried really hard to read it. So hard. But...

I couldn't do it. Maybe someday when I'm older, wiser, more mature...and can handle satire rooted in 1930s England. When that happens, I'll come back to it, back to the Starkadders (who comes up with these names? Oh, wait--the English), come back to a bunch of cows with names like Feckless, Graceless, and other -lesses, and swarthy men that make women swoon with all their hairy manliness...[gag].

I'll come back to it. Later. But right now, I just couldn't handle it. ( )
  publiusdb | Sep 21, 2018 |
I liked this a lot. It's a clever parody, and a funny one. Some scenes stick in the reader's head, and for all the right reasons. One fault: characters are introduced to the reader in the most brilliant way but then left 2-dimensional after. This is probably deliberate, and necessary for the parody to take hold, but it jars to see great characters left unfinished. A small fault though ( )
  JJPCIII | Sep 9, 2018 |
I have decided not to breed dogs.
  joannajuki | Aug 1, 2018 |

Stella Gibbonsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chast, RozIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simmonds, PosyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spencer, StanleyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Truss, LynneIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vales, José C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery -- Mansfield Park.
NOTE The action of the story takes place in the near future.
To Allan and Ina
The education bestowed upon Flora Poste by her parents had been expensive, athletic and prolonged; and when they died within a few weeks of one another during the annual epidemic of influenza or Spanish Plague which occured in her twentieth year, she was discovered to possess every art and grace save that of earning her own living.
To Anthony Pookworthy, Esq., A.B.S., L.L.R. My dear Tony, It is with something more than the natural deference of a tyro at the loveliest, most arduous and perverse of the arts in the presence of a master-craftsman that I lay this book before you. (From the Foreword)
"I saw something nasty in the woodshed!"
She loved them all dearly, but this evening she just did not want to see them any more.
There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort.
"Straw or chaff, leaf or fruit, we mun all come to 't."
"Curses, like rookses, comes home to rest in bosomes and barnses."

Stella Gibbons' novel is a wickedly funny portrait of British rural life in the 1930s. Flora, a recently orphaned socialite, moves in with her country relatives, the gloomy Starkadders of Cold Comfort Farm.

A Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition with French flaps, rough front, and luxurious packaging
Features an introduction from Lynne Truss and cover illustrations by Roz Chast

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:48 -0400)

A hilarious parody of D.H. Lawrence's and Thomas Hardy's earthy, melodramatic novels, the deliriously entertaining "Cold Comfort Farm" is "very probably the funniest book ever written" (The Sunday Times.).

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0143039598, 0141441593, 0141045485, 0241951518

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,674,574 books! | Top bar: Always visible